Another mod to the freelancer done a few weeks back was to correct/replace the stars and bars on the wings they as didn’t have the correct contrast. Upper was too dark and lower too light. This isn’t shown here but visible in it’s original RFI pics. 

So the wings were pulled off, spot sand and painted. New decals put on then the weathering blended and touched up. Now much better. 

Sanded off. 

D88285-A8-B8-AF-4950-80-AA-E8-F88-DEC1-F

New upper. 

7381-F0-D2-F7-BB-4798-8705-2-A191-AC398-

New lower. 

A306-BC64-2-E43-4-FAD-87-D9-E717-F0-E147

This makes me realise I am too fussy... 

Will update it’s RFI. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony, I hope you're well at this strange time we find ourselves in. for the last three months or so, whilst finishing off a pair of hurricanes, I've been investing in a bit of a 1/72 F-14 stash to get to work on. It started with a finemmolds A model, and then inspired by your thread, which I was reading (and finally got through to the end) acquired an A and a D model Hobbyboss... along with a KA models A model, with a GWH A model still enroute from the East.

I'd intended to start with the Finemolds kit, but this thread has put that to one side and I've decided to tackle the hobbyboss A model, as hopefully a way to better depict a cleaner (closed up) aircraft than the FM one promises. Clearly there are several improvements to make that can benefit the HB aircraft that I would look to work on that you have covered. I realise you've been investing in these and I'll contact you separately on that matter. Just to note that your thread has been an inspiration; not only in the aircraft that you've produced, but in your approach explaining the process...  and for someone that is still messing around with Humbrol enamels, the explanations about the various paints and their usage has been invaluable.

Thank you.

Stay well

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

By measurement of my unboxed HB model compared to an unboxed FM model, I'm estimating that the holes for the fuel tanks need to move about 4mm aft and 2mm outboard. To be re-checked and remeasured before committing to cutting of course

Cheers.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to echo others Tony, this is an awesome thread providing equal measures of inspiration and incredibly useful information. I've been waiting 3 months for the new 1/72 Academy F14A (it was shipped from Korea in March supposedly) but have just cracked and ordered the revell F14D - should get started on that soon so Ill be pouring over these pages for more advice and tricks, keep it up! 

Edited by SaminCam
  • Thanks 1

Thanks lads.

Well no more tomcats in this thread for now as have some gwh and acad and finemolds ones going on in their own threads...

Here is an up to date group shot of everything from this thread so far - note of the original 10 jets there is now only 7.  MIA is the VF-14 A and VF-102 B (both sold in ebay) and the VF-32 A which was stripped back due to an inaccurate scheme and is waiting to have surgery and be repainted. 
When these pics were taken I also took some new ones of a few individuals that have had a few tweaks or updates and need adding to their RFI’s. 

254-BF4-FE-14-EF-47-A0-A0-C9-25-FB070-A5

1358-AE45-9602-4910-8-EDF-F61156-D65-FA1

156-FC429-F7-D9-4436-9-FDB-FF8-DBA8554-B

41482-C5-F-423-D-41-CB-807-B-980-E68-EA4

However in tomcat associated paraphernalia there is now something else to add to the mascot, the engines and the eggcats -

Straight from the land of kung flu (ordered well before covid started but only just got here yesterday -

F4465-EF1-2-FA1-4-F84-9-D6-F-7-D3-A6-E93

49-C12-F4-E-ECC4-47-C4-9535-00-D9-B054-D

592-FB0-D0-5-A88-4812-83-DC-F9-E001117-B

7456-DD0-F-C7-A0-4-B2-A-AC44-A18344-B913

7-D6-F11-DD-20-F6-4291-A5-BF-2314-CDF344

BA6-E19-C9-05-E9-43-D0-BEE9-708802706-B7

C217473-B-3-E72-483-F-97-B0-AB57-C41-FCA

This is one if those things where fiction becomes reality. This ‘angry phoenix’ with a ‘thanks for the ride’ slogan was nose art carried by vf-11 when they did the last cruise abord the jfk to use the aim-54 in 2004. The tomcat still went on till 2006 so if you build a jet from the 05/06 period don’t kit it out with them. 

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/66530/M/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14B-Tomcat/163227/

I reckon I will paint them like jets, one in an early gull over white (like the picture on the box rear) and the other in a tps grey type scheme, however I am open to suggestions?

Thanks for stopping by. 

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Angry Dogs! 

Main halves assembled for posing. Decided to use one stand for both. Also instead of the cradles provided that looked naff holding them I decided to drill them and mount straight onto the rods. Some clear rubber o-rings hold them at the desired length and not slide all the way back, especially the one with the rod up its end. 

8-B7-F5-D86-F8-FB-4736-A803-5-ADC3544-EF

Finished assembling with all the teeth, eyebrows, spikes, bolts and fins. Primed with mr 1200 to speed things up as want these done by the end of the week hopefully. 

2-A20-A834-405-C-4-FBD-A4-BB-6-A3-D21575

Tony

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After the mr surfacer was smoothed out and some areas corrected, they had a Stynylrez black primer coat. 
Not so much for black basing as these will be in ‘solid’ colour, more for helping as trying to paint grey on grey primer it’s hard to see the colour develop. 

59585-EBD-955-E-4-BA7-B929-C70-CB514-C53

Mig ammo for main colours - one painted like a jet. 
Blue grey over light ghost. Gunship collar. This will have some live ordnance brown and yellow bands added. 

9-D0-C05-A2-296-D-4091-A900-35-B9690-ACC

The other one I’ve painted like a missile with the off white radome/head and grey body, but it also works as a dog, namely our schnauzer, Bert. He kinda looks like that. And has a blue collar...

6139-FB84-2-A53-443-A-B4-F5-B667-D0-E385

Next is to brush the details like eye mouth and teeth etc. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Tony Oliver,

I’ve just re-read through the thread briefly to go back through your builds and must say the workmanship is amazing! I seem to recall that at some point talked about making some upgrade sets available to purchase from you. Is this still a thing? If so I would be quite interested in what you had planned.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Neal

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, NealParkes said:

Hey @Tony Oliver,

I’ve just re-read through the thread briefly to go back through your builds and must say the workmanship is amazing! I seem to recall that at some point talked about making some upgrade sets available to purchase from you. Is this still a thing? If so I would be quite interested in what you had planned.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Neal

Yes mate. Going to start selling a few bits very soon. Just getting a couple more bits sorted and setting up an instagram account to promote stuff. 

AA Productions should be good to go end of July early August with a dozen parts or so to start with. 

Thanks for your continued interest. 

Tony

• Like 3

Hi,

You are more than welcome Tony, i look forwards to seeing what you have to offer, I’d be particularly keen to see a dual AIM-9 adapter if you have one in the pipelines! In the meanwhile take care and I’ll be keeping my eyes open for more Tomcat goodness here.

Neal

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NealParkes said:

Hi,

You are more than welcome Tony, i look forwards to seeing what you have to offer, I’d be particularly keen to see a dual AIM-9 adapter if you have one in the pipelines! In the meanwhile take care and I’ll be keeping my eyes open for more Tomcat goodness here.

Neal

Yeah got those coming. None done in 1/72 so far I think...

Used one on my A low viz gull vf2 build if you want to check it out 👌🏽 with a pair of ‘empty’ pylons which will be in the range too. 

• 2 months later...

Someone made me this as a one off!

Laser cut, masked and sprayed. 

Very cool and very chuffed! 
Cheers Brian mate. 

1-F4-BA017-90-AC-46-BA-A095-D416-C564033

With the squadron that carried it on one of their drop tanks - 

A83193-CC-332-C-479-F-BC1-B-1-A857410252

Overall view of the billy bookcase at the moment... need to workout where to fit in the eggcats and angry dog missiles. They should be done by the end of the week. Not done any model related stuff the past couple of months since finishing the GWH pair as the weather has been too nice. 

4188-BB33-3-CCD-4-A2-D-84-F3-F7-FF457-D3

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Angry dogs update - jumping quite ahead here as not documented these as much. 

Here now they have been decaled, sealed, washed and then flat coated (last month)

4-D22-F2-D2-212-E-4-C92-BBDB-DBFC2-AFFA0

Next was using some sponge to chip like when I used to do armour. Mig ammo chipping colour. Funny that. 

C80-FB247-73-E4-40-FF-81-DD-87-E821-BD02

Then join them up with a fine brush. 

1-C6-EE17-B-0-F1-A-4-B21-9-E31-56-C12-A9

• Like 3

On 6/2/2020 at 8:52 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Thanks lads.

Well no more tomcats in this thread for now as have some gwh and acad and finemolds ones going on in their own threads...

Here is an up to date group shot of everything from this thread so far - note of the original 10 jets there is now only 7.  MIA is the VF-14 A and VF-102 B (both sold in ebay) and the VF-32 A which was stripped back due to an inaccurate scheme and is waiting to have surgery and be repainted. 
When these pics were taken I also took some new ones of a few individuals that have had a few tweaks or updates and need adding to their RFI’s. 

254-BF4-FE-14-EF-47-A0-A0-C9-25-FB070-A5

1358-AE45-9602-4910-8-EDF-F61156-D65-FA1

156-FC429-F7-D9-4436-9-FDB-FF8-DBA8554-B

41482-C5-F-423-D-41-CB-807-B-980-E68-EA4

i must say my favorite one is the sundowner! the weathering looks superb! where did you get the decals for the sluggers one? i couldnt find any...

11 hours ago, RCI said:

i must say my favorite one is the sundowner! the weathering looks superb! where did you get the decals for the sluggers one? i couldnt find any...

Cheers mate. 
The main markings (arrow and tailcodes) were from an old microscale sheet. However they were grey. So once applied and sealed I used black enamel and a steady hand to make them darker. The rest was just made up from spares. 
More info in that jets own RFI, link on first page of this epic one man STGB WIP 😂

Chipping done on this one. Streaks and grime etc next then it will be complete. 
The other one is going to be a ‘cleaner’ but more contrasty type finish, with oils to force highlights and shadows etc. Well that’s what I can see in my minds eye anyways. If it turns out like that remains to be seen 😂

8-D10-D5-F8-208-F-4439-9-DF9-74-E10-DBE2

93-AFFCE0-855-E-40-C2-AC48-36-A351-FF847

F1-EFD4-FA-C45-C-4360-A218-6-FA2-EE99-B2

• Like 3

On 07/09/2020 at 09:27, Tony Oliver said:

Someone made me this as a one off!

Laser cut, masked and sprayed. 

Very cool and very chuffed! 
Cheers Brian mate. 

I like another one as well:

spacer.png

Beautiful additions to you Tomcats collection. Great job, Tony!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 15/08/2017 at 00:01, Tony Oliver said:

So here is the results of todays work...

Thanks to Richard @Gekko_1 for the push to go with the FS36495. 

So I went for Mr finishing surfacer black 1500 & Mr Color lacquer acrylic for the grey. 

Why? Well I don't have that akan shade to continue this ones theme but also seeing as this plane has already had - primer, colour coat, postshade, blending coat and the two gloss coats (pre & post decals) - I didn't want to build up any more paint and lose details as a waterbased acrylic grey would need another a good prime again because of the current shiny surface then another gloss coat pre decals etc so that would be too much paint with another 3 coats. 

The Mr products are thin and tough, plus the grey would be smooth and decal ready as micro set & sol resistant. 

The black was a quick loose coat to unify the surface then go for a black base stylee for a hint of weathering. 

In the end I went over again with a lightened grey shade, perhaps too much and killed off alot of the blackbase effect as was paranoid that there wouldn't be enough contrast with the decals... I suppose I can darken it with weathering washes and filters etc at the end. Not so easy to lighten something...

Enough waffle and onto some pics.

Let the fun commence!

IMG_0579.jpg

Some black 1500 on and a few areas worked. There are some 'craters' where the decals were removed, because I had glossed over them. So you can see ghost outlines of their shapes. I did try and sand them down/flush a bit, but hopefully the new ones will go exactly where they were. 

IMG_0580.jpg

36495 Grey going on

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

And this is where it ended up as a very light cat! Need to do bladders and leading edges again etc :( 

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

Lastly a confidence test. (Had some more spare fin cap decal left, didn't use them as colour matched and sprayed the fintops when she was gull grey, will do same again this time)  

Looks like this will work - Contrast is good!

IMG_0591.jpg

Now I just have to wait for the postman to turn up with the new decals tomorrow morning! Want to get her done by the end of the week before I have to go back to work...

Thanks for looking in and putting up with all this craziness! 

Hi Tony. Hope you're keeping well. I spent a little time going back n forth through this thread on the basis that the possible subject for my next bird (probably an Academy A model) is likely to be a VF1 machine circa 1988 - 1990 and the photos in the Detail and Scale (colour and markings Part 2) show these to be a very light grey. Everything written suggests that it's light gull grey, but every photo shows them almost just-off white. A few VF-142 machines also appear in the same colour (in the same book series on Kindle) and in the printed "Tomcat Alley". Clearly, a number of VF1 aircraft earlier do appear in LGG (red wolfpack marking on fin - large star/bar on nose), but these other seem much paler. It would be nice to make a paler bird if that's right, to contrast with the LGG finish on my Miss Molly.

The post here suggesting FS36495 is something I'll look at in more detail. I've some Mission Models FS36373 (High Low vis light grey)... don't know why I've got it; I think it was reduced when I was buying some other colours so I might see what that looks like in comparison.

Thoughts welcomed... from the man that knows his Tomcats.

Cheers

Jonathan

EDIT - ok, so i did a test tonight and 36373 is too dark - a cooler grey (a bit like ghost) but of a similar shade to Light Gull Grey... so that won't work. I took a look on "Above and beyond" retail as stockists of MM paints and compared 36495 and 16440 (Light Gull) and the swatch patches looked like 36495 is darker than LGG. So ... I don't think that's the solution. will keep looking, but it looks like I'll need something paler but of a similar tone to LGG.

J

Edited by Jon020
update after testing some paints & fixing typo