4 minutes ago, NontasB said:

Awesome work Tony!!

For the resin parts that you casted, you can use tiny bits of liquid filler (Gunze Mr Surfacer). It will work for these bubbles.

Regards,

Nontas

Thanks Nontas, 

Yeah I have done that before to tidy up some casts, for example if its not a great mould with bubbles in the silicone and all the parts come out with defects. But to be honest if it's just a duff cast it's easier to just make another one. Instead of all the filling, sanding, rescribing and then priming again to check the work done, oh more filler needed repeat process etc etc. Lifes too short. 

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get a vacuum chamber sorted now in the garge so wont have to go around to my mates as much anymore - Especially when I move this year, dont want a 500mile round trip for casting!

Hose is a bit crude (fuel injection hose) as pump and chamber came from different places so had to fabricate one. Better hose and fittings due in soon so should be more efficient eventually. 

So will be able to get this saga back on the road!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

ps: pump pulled the pot down to 29inches in around 40 seconds 👍🏿

• Like 5

Missile markings update. 

This plane is from gulf 1 in the 90's. The pheonix C came into service around 87 from what I have read.

The pics of this plane as I am depicting it show the live missiles in ghost grey. Not a problem with painting, but the 'C' and live markings are, because all the hobbyboss tomcats A/B/D come with the same missile decal sheet with 'A' pheonix details and blue inert bands.  More on that in a bit...

So the back of a plastic phoenix looks like this. Once filled/sorted its just a flat disc. 

image.jpg

But it needs to look like this -

image.jpg

So I made some black and white cricles in paint, sized them off and then printed onto decal paper to get this: 

image.jpg

Also made some Lantirn pod details for my resin castings. 

So the main stencils came from an airfix tomcat sheet, as they have the correct AIM-54C details and colours. Most kits only come with AIM-54A and blue training missile bands. 

They were slightly non-conformist, so yes they were soaking in Daco Red for 10 mins + to get them pliable. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

In the end we have this: 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Finally washed and sealed ready for mounting. 

image.jpg

Thanks for stopping by 👍🏿

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics
  • Like 12

Intrigued by your home made vacuum chamber, a great piece of work and something I've toyed with trying myself.

I reckon you could start a business just commission building Tomcat weapons too! Lovely work indeed Tony.

Eng

• Like 1

Update, Pilots for the VF32 plane. They were built ages ago but painted over the weekend. 

These are revell from the nato set. Both posed giving a thumbs up/all systems go before taxiing off towards the catapult. (So plane will have both nozzles open - engines on, with the wings still swept back to manoeuvre on the deck)  

I added the ring pulls from a generic etch set as these bits are missing from the seats completely. 

Heck you get plastic parts for these in the academy kit even. 

Anyways, 

I was going to add belts to them, but decided not to as want to get this one out of the way and done now with the minimum of fuss. It's because the build had stalled over Christmas, so started the Christmas wip with some other builds. Basically I had some dramas on the plane with the ak gauzy crazing and cracking with the decal sealing coat. Almost binned the plane. So the washes and weathering went 'very not well' (more on that later) 

So back to the pilots, after priming it was out with the brushes and revell aquas, most of the colours are self explanatory, but the black is anthracite for a scale black, suits are nato olive 46, seat cushions 86 olive brown and life jackets(?) 16 sand. 

I painted a small sword emblem on the back of the helmets with blue. 

Glossed and then washed all over in deep brown. The black parts of the seat washed with blue black. 

Decals added to sides at the top then flat coat. 

Done. Not brilliant but just want to move on... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics
  • Like 6

Those decals for the phoenix missiles are a great idea Tony, and the pilots look just great. I know you (by now) tend to push the envelope a bit with production vs details, but I think you are managing to do both very well. :yes:

• Like 1

Vf32 update,

Pics in the links of this plane at the start of this particular build show it quite grimy. So onto a bit of extra weathering after the panel line wash. 

Tried out these new oil brushers - ready to use oil paint. 

On the sniff test they smell very much like linseed oil. So I assumed they would dry quite greasy and leave tide marks. 

However this is not the case and they dry very matt. 

One point to note is they are quite 'wet' and needed to be left on the kit to dry for a while, otherwise when I blended them immediately after application with odourless thinner they pretty much all washed away. 

Top done with starship filth, lowers with dark brown and lastly the blue areas with medium grey to fade them a touch. 

Before

image.jpg

Applied

image.jpg

image.jpg

Blended

image.jpg

In Daylight

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics
  • Like 10

Last update and finishing touches for build 7 vf32 before its RFI. 

Circle cut from foil for reflector lens. Filed with clear green afterwards. 

image.jpg

Windshield in place. 

image.jpg

Exhausts on. Stock fan faces  (mr metal steel) and nozzles. Tubes are hasegawa ones from my resin project (masters with seams removed)

image.jpg

Mr metal color iron and burnt iron. (Buffed, glossed then washed) Post shaded with a touch of smoke to blend them together. 

image.jpg

Ordnance and tanks on. 

image.jpg

Pitots/vanes on. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Brushed with tamiya enamel x32 ti silver.

Note on nose probe -The part is molded with part of the nose on it, so this time I glued it on at the start, then cut off the bit that will be metal colour. Then Filled seam/step. A problem with my other builds, join line in the wrong place from adding whole probe part at the end. 

image.jpg

Mirrors added to canopy. Tacked with hypo watch cement (from @little-cars at the hudderfield show) Brushed with tamiya xf1 flat black enamel, then lenses after with Revell aqua 90 silver. Can see where seat handles came from too. 

image.jpg

Pilots in looking left and right giving thumbs up before taxiing off to the cat. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for looking 👍🏿

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics and text
  • Like 11

Thanks guys... For your support, for following and being patient. 

Vf32 cag 200 now complete. 

RFI thread with proper finished pics of it will be next weekend. 

Here's a quick couple of all 4 so far from this WIP. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

only how many more?

and with what else going on concurrently too he says... 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would revive this as currently bored of cleaning up spitfire assemblies... 

This is going to be a 'B' of vf102 diamondbacks.

No sign of a skull and crossbone in this thread. Yet. 

It will have pilots in, wings forward & nose down with nozzles closed (full military power mode on the GE engine) just before its ready to be launched from the cat. Flaps and slats (f&s) not deployed - yet. Not an option for that with these kits anyway. 

From what I read on another forum - apparently the hydraulic motor that powered the f&s wasn't cooled when the plane was on the ground (u/c weighted). So to avoid it burning out the f&s were only deployed in the final seconds before launch...

9/10  tomcats pics must have been taken in the seconds just before the launch because the norm we are used to seeing in them is f&s out once the nose is down etc. 

So I am going to depict this one waiting for clearance all good to go less the f&s. 

I have found a couple rare pics on google images of planes like this. Guess not a favourite with the photographers...

Wings forward means the bladders need raising up... Hello milliput!

image.jpg

• Like 3

Lots of work with mr surfacer 1200 to smooth them out...

Millput went on a few days back by the way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Decal option for this plane - robbed from a Hasegawa! 

Its all over light ghost grey. 

This build I am going to use tamiya acrylics 👍🏿

image.jpg

Here's a couple of nose down with slats & flaps up cats: 

http://www.anft.net/vf-11/cvw14-11.html

https://photovalet.com/85586

Thanks for looking 👍🏿

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Lots of work with mr surfacer 1200 to smooth them out...

Millput went on a few days back by the way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Decal option for this plane - robbed from a Hasegawa! 

Its all over light ghost grey. 

This build I am going to use tamiya acrylics 👍🏿

image.jpg

Here's a couple of nose down with slats & flaps up cats: 

http://www.anft.net/vf-11/cvw14-11.html

https://photovalet.com/424241

Thanks for looking 👍🏿

Looking good Tony. Great to see the first four at Sword And Lance, nice to see you progressing another cat.

1 hour ago, Tyxxx said:

Looking good Tony. Great to see the first four at Sword And Lance, nice to see you progressing another cat.

Cheers mate! Don't think I had the pleasure of meeting you? Hopefully this will be done for the north east show so can bring the 5 of them then 👍🏿

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Cheers mate! Don't think I had the pleasure of meeting you? Hopefully this will be done for the north east show so can bring the 5 of them then 👍🏿

Andy from DMMS, Tyxxx doing the SU-27 Red 36 build

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update for plane no.1 on the list of builds - F14B vf102

Another tweak for hobbyboss kits in general, did this on the last build (A - vf32) but not the first three builds (vf's 101, 31 & 213) 

So the kit part for the probe has some of the nose cone on it, perhaps to make it easier to handle? To paint the whole part silver is too much. So I glued it on, sorted the seam then sliced of the part that will be in a bare metal colour. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some of the resin upgrade bits are on. The cream parts - can just make them out under the spot priming or where still rough areas have been sanded back. They are from my casting project - ventral fins with vents. Lantirn pod, bomb-racks and pylons/lau-138 rails to which I added details to make masters. Also the TCS pod is cast part, master had seams sorted and lens drilled out ect. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Soon be ready for a proper priming session. Canopy is masked and ready. 

Bye for now 👍🏿

• Like 3