Next is all the airframe small detail colours with a brush - radome tan on ecm bumps, red door edges, metal panels on gun, intake edges and grills etc etc. 

Plus any touch ups from masking. 

Thanks for dropping by 👍🏿

• Like 1

Hi Tony - Great thread :)

You may have already seen this - but, if not, Global Aviation Resource have an interesting report on the recent Iranian International Airshow including some interesting Tomcat shots.

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2016/12/05/airshows-iran-international-airshow-kish/

Some updates to plane 7 vf32. 

Found a good easy way to mask the wheels. These are some resin ones that I cast with my project. 

Wheels were primed and cleaned up then painted mr hobby aq tire black. 

Masks made using a pin in a pin vice to cut circles from a template. A small snip allows for fine tuning of the circumference and easy removal. Hubs then coated with Mr base white 1000 to kill the black then a light pass of Aq 316 insignia white. 

Quite pleased. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Picture order
  • Like 4

Plane 7 more details. 

Red door edges

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some radome tan on ecm bumps as well as metallics - silver as a base for all formation lights. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mig metals - quite good acrylic colours. Silver on intake lip and steel on gun plate. 

image.jpgjpg images

More on mig metals. The 'polished metal' is a strange colour. When painted on it still looks like the wet stuff in the palette, really grainy. But it photos really well. All those large flakes reflect that much light it looks like chrome/polished metal! A paint made for the photography of models... 

All oleos done in this colour. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last is the TCS, another part from the B kit cast in resin after mastering. The A kit doesn't come with a TCS and some builds need one (Work done for master- seam cleaned up and lens drilled out to be filled with clear) Inside painted silver along with formation light. Radome tan ecm bump. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

All this done over last week. 

Decals going on next. 

Bye for now 👍🏿

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of progress folks, had a break with this... 

But did get the decals on the vf32 bird before I started the above. And did some washes and varnishes while the bottles were open and being used on the above WIP... 

Update next... 

• Like 1

So here are the decals on build 7. 

They were from an old microscale sheet. Old. 

I only ended up using what was relative to this plane - tail markings, crew names and 200 numbers. Rest was out of alignment, eg the red bits in the stars and bars and all the rescue data skewed. 

So the rest came from the spares box... 

The tail marking were very fragile (old) and broke up a bit. Lots of touch up with blue and yellow afterwards. 

Here it is with the markings being sealed in with some gauzy. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

And then with a satin coat to seal it up... (Note 1/72 spitfire mj250's parts in the background top right :) )

image.jpg

Also another detail, on page 112 of the daco tomcat book it shows the three type of wheel hubs (early/mid/late) - on the late wheels it shows what I assume is a vf32 touch.

Now although this kit comes with the 'mid' hubs and I dont know if they did this feature as far back as the gulf in 91 I thought it was too cool not to do. 

So out with the blue and yellow paint.

image.jpg

Just out of interest in regards to hobbyboss 1/72 tomcat kits and the main wheels: 

The A&B kits both come with the 'mid' hubs. 

The D kit comes with the 'late' hubs. 

So this can present problems for A&B's - if you want to do an earlier A, you will need to source the 'star' hubs (as I am having to do for some builds in this saga) 

And the B kits stock decal options (and most AM decals too) are too 'late' to still have those 'mid' hubs fitted. This is a fault with my B vf101 build... 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics
  • Like 3

Neat stuff, Tony. I especially like the corrogard on the wing and tail leading edges. 9 times out of 10, it looks way too bright on a finished model.

If you didn't say these were Hobbyboss kits, i probably would have guessed they were Hasegawa or Fujimi, judging by the build quality.

I too have the Hobbyboss  F-14A kit in my stash, but i never went beyond a minor perusal of the parts in the bags.

I built the 72nd scale Fujimi kit (Liked it).....

F14A77.jpg

DHF14A092.jpg

DHF14A093.jpg

and started the 72nd scale Hasegawa kit, which wasn't exactly going badly when i got sidetracked into the Corsair business.

I too am building a VF-32 Tomcat, but an early A model for one of my teachers who was in VF-32. The 48th scale Tamiya kit, while expensive, is polystyrene modeling bliss. But i'm having to re-learn painting 48th scale cockpits....

-d-

Edited by David H
  • Like 2

Some work done on the missiles for plane 7 (cag 200 vf32). These had some primer and needed a bit more work, then white noses for the 7's & 54's. Mr hobby 316 naturally to keep with the mr hobby on the rest of this bird. 

Was Busy in the spray booth tonight what with these and the glossing of the he-111 interior & N viper. 

image.jpg

Also did some messing around earlier with bits in boxes & accessories  - the finalisation of the details/specs for the next two tomcats. Both of which are going to be nose down and pilots in! One with flaps and slats dropped too!! (Kit bashing) More on them soon...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

The making masks with a circle template part? 

Tony

Yeah, i'd cut a mask with a circle template, spray the wheel hub, and then touch up any remaining overspray with heavily thinned tyre black applied around the edge. Then i'd blast it with Future and when all is said and done no one is the wiser.

• Like 1

Vf32's Missiles getting some colour... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

And for the next builds some choice resin bits from my casting project getting a wash. These will then get a quick coat of grey stynylrez to help check their integrity and amout of imperfections to see if they are any good and warrant further work - because I have wasted alot of time in the past as with the bits I had removed them from their casting bases, quick clean up, drilled a hole and mounted on a toothpick. Only to prime and realise its a total loss cause you see hundreds of tiny pinholes or whatever that I can't seem to see on initial inspection of the cream resin... 

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So on a different note some earlier builds have been updated.

Some better pics than these will be added to their RFI threads. Setting up my 'endless curve' and taking pics later of the F16N for the stgb so can get these redone too. 

First is the vf213 D. This has had an RBF tag added to the winder, and the inside of the exhausts sooted up a bit with pigments as they were too white and clean inside for a jet that looks this 'used and weary' on the outside. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next is the vf31 D. This was mainly OOB and the look of the exhausts was lacking. Due to my recent success on making some decals, I decided to dress this area up a bit. Changes the look of the whole plane and adds that missing touch. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8