The dual sidewinder setup I have done for plane 2 is wrong (assuming yours is correct) because I used one of LAU-129 rails as provided in the Hasegawa weapons set to mount the tacts pod on the bottom of the glove pylon where it appears you used a normal sidewinder type rail?

Geez, I thought I got it pretty close! I've found these links that might help with any further work on the dual Sidewinder setup you might embark on... multi-purpose pylon description and useful F-14B build on Zone 5.

Casting the 'A' kit's fairings is a great idea - good luck with them. Remember though that there's detail missing on the Hobbyboss fairings; fortunately careful scribing can replicate this without too much hassle. If you want to cast some more useful Hasegawa bits, have a crack at reproducing their ventral fins to replace those moulded on the underside of the HobbyBoss kit; the HB fins lack the NACA intake apparent on the left face of each.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 2

I didn't mean yours were wrong Andrew, they were just different to mine so I had to assume they are the correct way of depicting it as opposed to my 'guess' 😄

Good idea on the ventral fins. Will make painting them easier too as majority are different colors from airframe... Too late for planes 2 & 4 now though. Masking them up for the black and red later...

Here's some more progress for you.

These are some general assembly points.

The kits fit well with just the usual care and a touch of filler/sanding. The two worst areas are the rear fuselage join (the dashes where it was and the arrow points to the added wing bladder panel line) and the other drama one that runs through the flap (along the arrows) on the underside of wings. These both took several filing/sanding/priming sessions untill I was happy.

IMG_5551.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

The rear fuselage sides are pretty bare especially after all that work. So I added the panel line that shows the wing bladder by scribing it (I suppose a paint demarcation line would work too) and also extended down some of the panel lines from the top to the side in the area of the tailplanes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 2

Missed the start of this job, will try and keep up with it, very interesting !

You've already got a lot of info about the work needed to backdate the B box into an A, copying the parts in resin is probably the easiest way if you are familiar with the process. Of course after having added the detail that HB forgot on the exhaust shrouds on their A...

160408 was a block 95 F-14A, as such it never had the ECM bumps on the beavertail and under the wing gloves. Personally I'd just add the NACA style gun vents to the HB kit of the A, but I don't know how easy it may be (have the kit but it's in the stash)

Looking forward to more pictures !

• Like 1

Cast away!

Here i've added the lines on the 'A' shrouds to improve them, being copied to turn plane 3 from a B into a late A. Then we have a couple Hasegawa kits that have donated their ventral fins and bit that goes behind RIO's seat. And then some bomb racks from the weapons set.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Missed the start of this job, will try and keep up with it, very interesting !

You've already got a lot of info about the work needed to backdate the B box into an A, copying the parts in resin is probably the easiest way if you are familiar with the process. Of course after having added the detail that HB forgot on the exhaust shrouds on their A...

160408 was a block 95 F-14A, as such it never had the ECM bumps on the beavertail and under the wing gloves. Personally I'd just add the NACA style gun vents to the HB kit of the A, but I don't know how easy it may be (have the kit but it's in the stash)

Looking forward to more pictures !

Thanks pal, the vents are molded as part of the front fuselage so would prove difficult or have to sacrifice a whole kit just for the port side...? So will continue down the route of backdating the B.

One done. This is plane 6 (blue fins) so leaving them separate and going to the effort of drilling and making a slot to aid paint and assy later on. Other builds using these homemade fins I'll just glue them on with a butt join if same color as undersides... Planes 3 and 5 will have this situation...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 5

Sorry for the lack of progress and updates,

Been busy with work and sidetracked with resin casting and making masters of all sorts of stuff and then trying to turn old comprssors into vacuum pumps etc etc... 🤔 But not really getting anywhere with anything and in a funk ha ha.

• Like 1

This is some preshading on plane 2.

I used mr.paint (thinned) and a 0.2mm needle.

Nice dense lines with minimal passes as its an ink type paint. But most of this effect was lost building up the colour using the thin and lightly toned AK air series set.

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5559.jpg

• Like 3

Here are the exhaust shroud areas for planes 2 & 4 in their respective metallics, VMC gunmetal grey and AK xtreme metalic smoke. They were then masked off so the greys could be added to the sides. I went for this instead of plain black to give a worn carbon fibre effect as I believe this is what they were made of. Will be toned down alot when they get the final flat coat with the rest of the airframe after decals and weathering so just a hint of sparkle should remain.

IMG_5554.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 2