27 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Looking very good now, I've not heard of the AK canopy dip before. It might just need a thorough cure before putting on the masking tape? 

Ak stuff reviewed here on our forum, and as to curing was a week later when I got it to peel... 

PS has the postman been yet mate? 😎 

And then some alclad duraluminium on leading edges. 

Wheel wells and detail colors to be done over the next few nights on airframe so should be ready for decals by the weekend hopefully.  

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Wow, phenomenal work, those petals look great. :worthy:

Thanks, will elaborate more later but in short they are the nicely detailed brassin f-16 ones in alclad shades with decal 'rub' areas. Still alot of washes & weathering to be done...

Edited by Tony Oliver

Well first build (oob plane 4) has been finished for a while, finally got around to taking some pics. 

Not great mind... Still alot to learn and only done with my Iphone (as all the pics i have done are.) RFI thread for it will be done over next few days but here's a teaser for now... 

image.jpg

• Like 14

On 28/9/2016 at 1:15 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Well first build (oob plane 4) has been finished for a while, finally got around to taking some pics. 

Not great mind... Still alot to learn and only done with my Iphone (as all the pics i have done are.) RFI thread for it will be done over next few days but here's a teaser for now... 

image.jpg

Stunning!!! That's a very impressive looking Tomcat!

• Like 1

Well very disappointing... 

hardly used any of them as the grey is too similar to the background colour so they effectively disappeared when applied. It was more 'no contrast' than 'low contrast' And the quality is very poor. I suppose thats what you get from chinese ebay decals. But nothing else available out there that I could find...

And even if the grey stood out more with different paints I probably still wouldn't have used them as alot of the stencils/rescue data is all misprinted/out of alignment. (Was hard to tell when on the sheet if it was white writing or the white backing paper you were looking at. 

So so it almost got scrapped and was gonna have to find another scheme... 

But in the end I just used the black stuff (still dodgy quality) off of the sheet (codes/bu.no & nose/tail lions) and the rest was replaced with some darker grey stuff from the spares box. (Mainly from the hobbyboss vf 2 low viz boxtop option) 

pics to follow soon but dreading going downstairs to see how they have settled, esp as the nose lions were very wrinkled at bed time :(

I like the black lions livery personally, The silhouette is very reminiscent of Anglo family heraldry even if it seems to be depicting a constellation. For that reason I also like the Griffon imagery in the Hasegawa S-2A viking kit and the various wolfpack markings from Academy. If you find yourself wanting Wolfpack decals let me know.

Well here it is so far in its mix and match markings. You can see the carrier name in the too light grey. 

So some black enamel and a fine brush using them as a guide. Turned out reasonable. Tried to do the same with the canopy names but they're too small and a joined up script so going to leave them off altogether. 

Also the vf-213 wasn't supplied so I used a vf 2 and a 10, cutting the 0 to make a 3. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks mate. Its was kinda expected with them being no name brand from china. Good job I got two sets cause I needed them as one tail lion and one nose lion went bad during application. 

This one is fighting me all the way, just been back over with the airbrush to fade/lighten them a bit and add some paint touch ups over the top here and there to blend them in and make it look well used at the end of a cruise. But made a bit of a mess :( and some areas need stripping and re-doing. so its one step back all the time. About ready to launch it into oblivion which is a shame cause the most effort went into the build of this one with all the etch bits and some resin parts... 

So here are some exhaust parts for plane 2 (vf 101 'B') 

This build is having parts from my casting project, namely: Tamiya f-16 plastic nozzles, aries tubes and Hasegawa GE Afterburner faces. 

Nozzles:

The petals were primed and then had mr finishing surfacer 1500. 

Color built up using ak xtreme metal titanium with some pale burnt metal highlights. White ceramic insides. 

They were then glossed with ak gauzy.

Then the rub and overlap areas were painted in anthracite and gunmetal acrylics respectively in thin coats. Any mistakes could be rubbed off the gloss surface easily without marking the metal areas. 

They were then glossed again to smooth them out.

Then they had a wash inside and out with 'track wash' a very dark brown. 

This was tidied up and then sealed with gloss again.

Lastly the anthracite rub areas only had a coat of matt varnish brushed on. 

Bases were done in a steel color and washed black. 

Tubes were done in an off white and washed with track colour. 

Here we are: 

Primed.

image.jpg

Raw paintjob. 

image.jpg

Rub areas brushed. 

image.jpg

Glossed. 

image.jpg

Washed. 

image.jpg

Glossed again after wash tided.

image.jpg

Rub areas matted down

image.jpg

All bits together. 

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Spacing/pics
  • Like 2

And here are the seats for the same plane, 

Sprayed black, drybrushing with some grey then glossed for decals, etch bits from the dream model set added then matt coated. Some bits touched in with satin afterwards. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So these two updates along with wrestling with the seemingly cursed vf213 bird is the progress from last week and weekend just gone... 

• Like 2