Spanish Civil War GB II 33 and STILL growing!

On 27/11/2016 at 2:22 PM, Antoine said:

Why next year?

When Enzo posted his consultation on future GB, I came up with this, only to be said that there was already something in that genre, called, if my memory doesn't fail me, "Buddy build".

Well, we're just 33 buddies, and all we need is to set up a schedule for the following months.

Just imagine, wait one more year, with no certitude at all to make any of two polls, and maybe then on for another year of patience?

Come on, and let's organize something!

Huh???

I'm lurking quietly. I hope to be around more after a little biopsy/surgery on Wednesday :) .

Looking at this year's poll, we need approximately twice as many votes.

Votes don't seem proportionate to the number of people signed up to a Group Build.

Way back I suggested to broaden the scope to include Spain under Franco. I think I wasn't quite 'there', but getting there.

Mirages are popular. Spain does Mirages. Rotary engine and floatplanes are popular.  Spain is great for those, some of the coolest firefighting floatplanes in the world. Also some really forceful looking rotary Texans.

AFV's? Spain is really cool there too. Great naval subjects.

The 'French Fancy' group build got through a year or so ago.

I would like to propose a similar Spanish group build. 

Really open it up. The Armada. The Rif war, Not only this, the Second Civil War, but the first Spanish Civil War too.

The Spanish all inclusive group build.

What's not to love about that?

From galleon to De Havilland Dh-9 Hispano to T-26 to Heinkel He-111 to Buchon to Mirage to Starfighter and more.

I was more than a little impressed to note that final poll numbers corresponded with number of committed bods :thumbsup: !

Great. Thanks folks :) .

Over on a Potez 25 (also starting as ´XXV') and Breguet 19 thread I started recently, no one has been able (it seems), to find a picture of a non-radial engined Potez 25 in Republican markings.

Here's one from my 'secret squirrel' collection to say thanks to you peeps. Also with a question I can't yet happily answer:

IMG_2034.jpg

My question: what is the biplane aircraft in the background to the right?

It appears to have a roundel/cockarde on the fuselage port of the aft seating position.

I'll A.V Roe and chips with relish? Is it? Is it the Prefect? The Tutor?

Nice Potez :) 

All the best

TonyT

PS: look under the lower Port wing of the Potez. Roundel? Is this a false friend? Is it perhaps a Gran-Chaco picture? :o !?

Anyone discern a red fuselage band?

:D 

T

Edited by TonyTiger66
Syntax
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,

Fingers and all crossed for Wednesday.

Yes it was a shame that the build did not get through. Though, like you, I am lining up SCW themed participants for those GB's that did get through. Yes, perhaps next time around an even more inclusive title might sway the masses; i.e. anything Spanish could run from a 54mm Celt-Iberian miniature to the latest addition to the Spanish Airways fleet and all points between. (Still SCW for me though!).

I think the aircraft in the picture is a French trainer, possibly from the likes of Potez or Bloch, but I am not sure. Let me consult the great reference library, (A.K.A. blanky) and see what turns up.

Happy hunting,

Christian, exiled too far south

Tony,

Firstly good luck with all of the medical shennanigans, I hope everything works out.

Regarding limiting the build to the Spanish Civil War, whilst a worthy subject it is kind of limiting for those who don't build anything within the period 1936-1939!

Your suggestion about a Spanish GB along the lines of my French Fancy GB from 2015 broadens the appeal greatly and would still include Spanish Civil War subjects, if you broaden it to the Iberian Peninsular you could include Portugal too.  Just a thought.

Wez

Be aware that the Daleks can hover nowadays. Seems like their upgrades work unlike certain software company's 10 version.

Good luck for Wednesday Tony. Not fun but then neither is suffering especially without knowing.

Personally I like the Iberian GB idea as otherwise Portugal stands next to no chance. I'll still go SCW though....

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I've been adding kits and decals to my stash in order to build a few Portuguese Air Force and Navy aircraft. Right now I have:

- F-16 MLU

- Spitfire Mk. Ia

- Hurricane Mk IIc

- Sea Lynx

So, yes: I'd be up for an Iberian unofficial GB.

Cheers

Jaime

It's too late anyway for 2018, so if we go official, we've to aim for... 2019!

If we choose the unofficial way, we don't really care about the number, maybe just set a minimum (Like five?)?

And if we don't care about the number, I feel we should stick to SCW only, as it was the topic's main reason at the start. 

Iberian extension came later, to bring in more people.

• Like 1

Why wasn't this GB added to the 2018 vote? There were already 33 people interested from last year and I had the impression that GBs would automatically enter the next year's vote if not elected.

Cheers

Jaime

Instead I would love to see a Interwar wars GB, starting with wars following WWI (Eastern Europe was still  in flames a few years after 11.11.1918, but I think whole Russian Civil War could be included), and ending with Sino-Japanese war up to 1941 and Ecuadorian–Peruvian War (also 1941). Maybe then we could make it in poll.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Botan said:

Instead I would love to see a Interwar wars GB, starting with wars following WWI (Eastern Europe was still  in flames a few years after 11.11.1918, but I think whole Russian Civil War could be included), and ending with Sino-Japanese war up to 1941 and Ecuadorian–Peruvian War (also 1941). Maybe then we could make it in poll.

Interesting..... and highly tempting...

Christian, exiled to africa

Interesting, yes.

But not before 2019 at best.

And I'm sure that we'll see a dozen or so "Equator to North pole air forces" or "Single engine" GB up front when the poll's over.

So let's see the 2018 poll's results, and then open an SCW topic to see who's interested in an unofficial one.

To me, five would be enough for a go, but we've to agree about that.

Then we'll have to agree about a schedule.

• 1 month later...

Timing as always is a critical thing for my participation, I would still be interested in participating in a SCW group build.

My previous suggestion about opening this up to an Iberian Peninsular GB dilutes the original theme, there should be a specific SCW GB.

• 7 months later...

I can't remember what happened with this one.  IIRC it went to the vote one year but was unsuccessful?  If so, I'm not sure if it ever had its 'free' second go?

I guess it's a question for Enzo as to how we can go forward.  It would be nice to see this resurrected though :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I can't remember what happened with this one.  IIRC it went to the vote one year but was unsuccessful?  If so, I'm not sure if it ever had its 'free' second go?

I guess it's a question for Enzo as to how we can go forward.  It would be nice to see this resurrected though :)

We need to bring this to Enzo's attention...   ...well @Enzo Matrix

• Like 1