Spanish Civil War GB II 33 and STILL growing!

Hang on a cotton picking moment... only 10 votes :o !

It looks like some people are still having a crafty fag by the bike sheds 

:(

:tumble:

This is a great GB idea. Some of you lovely peeps have been on the list so long that you have grown beards and nervous tics!

Please could I urge you all to give this GB a vote?  I think we can pull the stops out and create a gallery with subjects and colour schemes people don't usually see.

Best of all we can show that BritModellers know a bit about this historically important conflict; often called the 'practice run for WWII'.

It was far more than that, it was quite terrible; brother against brother, priests with rifles in the bell tower, fascism versus communism, anarcho-syndicalism (actually somewhat successful in Barcelona),  western powers wimping out and the Soviets emptying the Spanish gold reserves, Hitler bare face lying about his Condor Legion at first.

Poets, writers, journalists, miners, film makers, all occupations from all over the world involved.

The result? 50 years of dictatorship, mass graves still being discovered, concentration camps, yet, many say, stability? Not for us to comment on that here. But we can model this stuff with passion.

Anyone that can identify the chap at 1.59 on the left, gets a free virtual bottle of Tempranillo:

https://youtu.be/-tvG7R3Rs2M

I'd better balance it out:

https://youtu.be/-TP9mteTtV0

First person to identify the taxiing aircraft at 2.41 gets a year's supply of virtual Knackwurst :) !

Go on, vote for us people, we worked for it and earned the right :) .

Saludo

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Tumbleweed.
  • Like 1

Don't forget, folks, that the GB's with the highest votes win.  You have six votes, but you DO NOT HAVE TO USE THEM ALL!!   If you do use them all, and the SCW GB is one of them (which of course all those reading this would hopefully be doing), then you could drop it out of the top slots (and therefore out of contention) if you vote for other GB's that have a slightly higher vote, since your vote might make the crucial difference.

So therefore - please - only use the votes that you really, really want.  

You can see how things are going by signing out and looking at the top of the Group Build Vote thread.  If you are signed in, you cannot see the votes until after you have voted.  By then it might be too late, so check out the voting first before you yourself vote.  The reason that this is important is that you cannot re-do your votes, as you were able to do the last time.  

So be very very very careful  (I myself will hold off voting for the SCW GB until towards the end of the voting period on November 27th, so as to see what is happening, and so that my vote for SCW doesn't get nullified by voting for another GB which is close in number of votes.)

Philip.

• Like 1

Hi Tony. I gather from a recent post of yours that there are few votes for the SCW GB. I would willingly put my vote(s) in, but have yet to discover the process by which it is done, despite looking on the BritModeller site. Is there a FAQ that addresses this?  Secret handshake? Maybe WikiLeaks can help out. I am also rather vague regarding the operative rules that the GBs go by.

Other than that, looking forward to this GB getting started.

(apologies if this is a duplicate post. The new Forum moves in  rather mysterious ways)

Styreno

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, styreno said:

Hi Tony. I gather from a recent post of yours that there are few votes for the SCW GB. I would willingly put my vote(s) in, but have yet to discover the process by which it is done, despite looking on the BritModeller site. Is there a FAQ that addresses this?  Secret handshake? Maybe WikiLeaks can help out. I am also rather vague regarding the operative rules that the GBs go by.

Other than that, looking forward to this GB getting started.

(apologies if this is a duplicate post. The new Forum moves in  rather mysterious ways)

Styreno

here is the link,

you can choose six GBs alltogether, though i must confess i don't know which will come through - the first - but how many? ... six I assume?

Hope i can help

Levin

Edited by Levin
  • Like 1

I've put my vote in. That seemed obvious. I understand the calendar dates. I assume that a limited number of GBs can run as they require moderation.

I was looking for a FAQ that summarized the rules/procedures that the GBs run on. Spending endless hours on-line navigating obscure procedures is not to my taste. Government websites have perfected that requirement.

Styreno

• Like 2

Thanks people! Also thanks Prenton for the tip on wise use of votes. Crikey it all gets quite cloak and dagger :o !

There are other GB's Inwoyod love to see go ahead, and not just my own daft ideas. 

I guess we can't say which ones. It's far more interesting than Trump v Clinton, that's for sure :D !

Philip, Hemingway yes, spot on, here is your virtual vino:

Years supply of Tempranillo

Meanwhile, I feel pretty sure that the taxiing aircraft is a Breguet 19, although others enter the camera frame.

I nevertheless feel that you need something in your tum to provide a good foundation for the vino, so here is your virtual year's supply of Best Hamburg Knackwurst:

Hamburger Knacker

Regardless of what others think of big unusual German sausages (there's no easy way to phrase this :confused:  ), I love them.

I like their variation on Black Pudding, although it's often far more red. To me, in all honesty.  Germany has the best ´Hot Dogs'. I think having scribbled that on the internet, my future visas for visits to the USA may be sadly and mysteriously declined :( .

Well, there are guidelines on not trolling for votes,so Im not going to do that.

Styreno, I know what you mean, the whole web seems to have become more and more worthy of that very name.

It often feels like it's wrapping us in tighter and tighter threads.

I feel BM is one of the few safe havens where a lot of genuinely good sorts share a little time, and hopefully help is never too far away.

Im quite new and I'm sure make mistakes, but Mike and Enzo and everyone else are really very helpful and human.

I mean, they could be bots for all I know, but they seem to be very nice bots.

I'd better sign off before I dig myself in any deeper :confused: !

All the best

TonyT

Some good news for Spanish Civil War buffs.

For years we've needed a really good series of 1/72 early Bf-109 in both 1/48 and 1/72.

Well, it looks like 1/48 will be ready for Telford.

Moreover, yesterday I got confirmation that 1/72 is already in development:

Yay! About time! :thumbsup: I for one, can't wait :bounce::bounce: .

If the 1/72 are as good as the 1/48 look, I'll be buying around 10!

Thats about the number of Avis/Aeroplast I've part built and thrown on the bin over the last two years.

The Sword 'D' is nice; but hard to find.

I still have two Heller in the stash for safety... ;) .

Will anyone here be going to Telford?

Thanks for all of you that have voted for this Group Build in the poll.

Also thanks for all the input and fun on this thread over the last 5 months or so, it's been a great journey.

It seems that more Spitfires and Lancasters and all the stuff that doesn't really need a group build is going to make it through; not us. 

We we don't even have a vote each from everyone on the list, if we did we would be over 30. :(.

I'm not being defeatist, just realist. We offer a little too much diversity it seems for this year. 

I feel that that next year diversity may be a little more popular, so I hope some here would like me to carry forward our Spanish Civil War GB proposal for the poll in 2017?

Time flies it really does.

Meanwhile maybe we can do some WIP of SCW subjects to try to raise interest in our cause over the next 12 months? 

I'm still not modelling due to health issues (I've tried), but hope to be by Christmas.

I have planned: Valom Fokker VII/3M (Nationalist) 1/72, 

Dujin Caudron C 601 Aiglon (resin) 1/72 (Republican),

and to finish my two Amodel I-16 and the UTI-4.

There are other GB's our subject fits into; e.g. De Havilland (so many in SCW), Return of the Blob (lots of Resin and vac-form kits for SCW), Radial engines (plenty of those for us), so whatever gets through;  I'm sure we can infiltrate.

The only problem is, it looks like most of the aforementioned aren't going to pass the poll either! 

Big Screen Little Screen. Thanks to Hellingway's documentary on the SCW, to André Malraux's L'espoir and others a lot of AFV, aircraft etc would also fit that GB.

Not that I've been thinking about this much :D !

Meanwhile here's something else of interest:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/05/antoine-de-saint-exuperys-little-prince-author-spanish-civil-war-press-pass%3F0p19G%3De?client=safari

All best regards

Saludo

TonyT

PS: Please vote. Go on :please:  :D .

Hi Tony,

I have voted, (early on) and as you state earlier, if you voted to establish this GB as a contender, then PLASE VOTE!

Should we not make it past the post this year, then I would happily support a follow on offensive for 2017, (a bit like the Ebro???). 

Once the man-cave has been re-erected/hammered to fit I intend having a brief foray with an Eduard Type 10. Just as a gentle easing back into things...;)

Having been reading around the subject, I was also wondering about attempting some twin-builds; the same aircraft but built in both Nationalist and Republican markings. Clearly I have far too much time on my hands at the 'mo. Allied to that reading, I am, as always, staggered by the vast range of aircraft used.

On-On,

Christian, exiled further daan Saarf.

• Like 1

Well, I've voted, though I have only one kit currently that could qualify (another Eduard I-16 Type 10 from that wonderfully decorated Over Spain boxing). But I foresee that kit being rather commonplace in this GB (TonyT, you're bound to build at least ten) so I might build it now and look for something else should the GB reach fruition.

Thanks chaps :):blush: .

Chris I can honestly say I wouldn't be building any I-16's so you're both very safe! I am still struggling through two Amodel type 5/6 and one of their UTI 4. The latter is a far easier kit from which to obtain a good result. The former can be made into something very wonderful, but it takes a little practice and the patience of a saint. Still worth it, they're fun in a very weird way :mental: !

My modelling skills have slipped a lot over the last 12 years (the title I had) and it's been a steep curve to try to get back to a level where I would be happy to have the things on the shelf.

Unfortunately most things I like are only available from short run kit manufacturers so you chaps will be at a definite advantage. I'm not at all competitive though, its all do do with what I can cope with looking at and as my grandad always told me, whenever we leave a mistake on a model, that's what we always look at first in the display cabinet! 

Oh the wisdom of our grandparents! :D !
Some great stuff is being released for we SCW enthusiasts - just today  noticed Armoury have released a two pack kit of the I-16 type5/10 in 1/144! Tiny and in Soviet markings, but SCW is easy - just get the yellow, red and violet out with mickey Mouse or Popeye, or the white with some black decal strip for your St. Andrews crosses and black dots and stripes!

I think this is going to be a 2018 build. I will scout the International Brigades for recruits and Barcelona will be fortified safely for another year!

All the Best,
Saludo
TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Martin!

Yes you certainly can :thumbsup: 

We don't have 32 votes in the poll yet, but were solid enough. We should just keep rolling until we get enough people to have a SCW Group Build. 

We  all know it's a great and inclusive subject, but I think we have to spread the word a bit.

It might be useful for us to think about more links to pictures of cars, soft skins, more AFV's, uniforms and figures, ships, submarines. It's important that people know this GB idea is inclusive.

That we do indeed include:

Nightfighters, Radial Engines, subjects that can be made from Matchbox kits (e.g. Hawker Fury), De Havilland aircraft, Float planes and even Civil aircraft. NMF?; how about the Ford Trimitor?

There are GB proposals for so many of the above, yet this build encompasses them all.

If anyone would be interested as a potential co-host it would ve more than welcome :) .

I don't always know how to put into writing things like the above; please anyone feel free to chip in and use our remaining 2 weeks or so to tell the BM world why our subject area is so fantastic!

Thanks again Martin, I'm sort for the delay, for some reason I'm not getting all the email etc notifications of new posts that I've subscribed to :shrug: .

Reminder to self: check every thread manually every day :) !

All best regards

TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

Only hours to go until the end of the poll!

Thank you for being on board and for all your fantastic build proposals :thanks: .

Most of all thanks to those that have given us the valuable vote in the poll.

There are 33 of us on the list here for this GB, just as many as other GB's that have garnered more votes in the poll.

It remains god us to spread the word about the variety of subjects available for a SCW GB. We have ex race-planes types for example the Airspeed Viceroy and the Bellanca,  record breaking types like the Northrop Gamma, prototypes, firsts like the Douglas DC-1, the first use of German Panzer Auf A/B in anger, the first Blitz aircraft (sadly) used.

We have civil vehicles, ships and aircraft impressed into military service, an as yet pretty untapped potential for figure modellers. I will research and suggest more related to the latter in 2017.

I guess this thread will be locked soon? If so look out for another popping up.

We can have fun putting new pictures all over it and discussing this great subject.

The great fight that this war represents; it is upon us again just as powerfully and pertinently as it was back in 1936.

As the decades pass, few remain alive from these years of global turmoil; just a few that were teenagers, children in the 1930's.

We can help keep their stories, their history, the lessons learned alive, all very relevant today.

Have a great Christmas :thanks: and see you soon with a glass of Rioja, an Esrella or two, perhaps a Ducados, some Tapas, tortilla and paella.

Bring a beret and a rifle if you wish :D !

Saludo

TonyT

I have added my vote to this, and avoided any close in votes to it, but it doesn't look like we are going to get there this time.  So I have also voted for Matchbox II, which has a hope.  (That way, I can do the He 115 in SCW markings.....)

Good luck Tony, in the next poll!  It was a brave try.

Philip

• Like 1

Yes, here's to next year Tony :cheers:

In the meantime, I do hope that we will see the SCW well represented in the Radial Engines Rock GB if that gets through.  A sort of unofficial sub-group! :winkgrin:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Yes, here's to next year Tony :cheers:

In the meantime, I do hope that we will see the SCW well represented in the Radial Engines Rock GB if that gets through.  A sort of unofficial sub-group! :winkgrin:

Cheers

Cliff

Part of my cunning plan as well. Infiltration is the way forward.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

This was clearly far too broad a category.....We might get all manner of people turning up with tanks, ships, submarines and other such undesireables if we were to indulge in such outlandish GBs.  :rolleyes:

Careful everyone watch out for booby traps :worms: this blokes got previous ! :tomato:

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Why next year?

When Enzo posted his consultation on future GB, I came up with this, only to be said that there was already something in that genre, called, if my memory doesn't fail me, "Buddy build".

Well, we're just 33 buddies, and all we need is to set up a schedule for the following months.

Just imagine, wait one more year, with no certitude at all to make any of two polls, and maybe then on for another year of patience?

Come on, and let's organize something!