Spanish Civil War GB II 33 and STILL growing!

Hello Rich and SAU, 

Welcome on board! :thumbsup: 

An early Bf 109 would be very interesting Rich, but a 1/48 He-51? Now that really appeals.

There are a few options for the kit, did you have one in mind?

Meanwhile SAU you have more choice than I could shake a stick at! :D . No-one here has mentioned doing a Republican (or even Nationalist) Fury yet. There are some great paint schemes. I love the sporty looks of the HS 123 too.

I'll get the list updated.

Extremely close now :pray: .

As always, if you know any Britmodelers that have a British, Polish, German, American or other aircraft, AFV or ship/sub they may not realise was in the SCW, encourage them to join us.

Surely this is fertile soil for diorama and figure modelllers too? :shrug:

Im sure there are lots of people here that can advise on paint schemes for Vultee V-1's, Lockheed Vegas, Junkers 86, Bristol Bulldogs and more :) .

Hope you're having a great weekend,

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Rewrite

Hello folks,

Just a quick suggestion for those that like seaplanes.

A Cross GB suggestion for anyone wanting to build more than  one, or even two flying boats next year:

I notice Jaime needs just three people for the Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB

Many seaplanes/floatplanes were present in the SCW, and often lesser known examples.

For both these Group Builds; this is a nice book on inter-war Luftwaffe seaplanes:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/sea-planes-of-the-legion-condor-the-story-of-as-88-squadron-in-the-spanish-civil-war-a-1936-1939-4057.html

Aircraft suitable for both this SCW GB here or general inter-war include CANT 501, CANT 506, Junkers Ju-52 See (both available from Supemodel/Italeri), Dornier Wal (Amodel injection and the old Airmodel vac), Heinkel He-59 and 60 (Special Hobby and the latter from Aviation USK too), Fairchild 91 (Sword and Special Hobby), Arado 96 w (Special Hobby) , Heinkel He 115 (Matchbox and Revell 1/72, Special Hobby 1/48), Macchi M 41 (Steelwork), it goes on......,

So, if you feel like spreading the love, please consider both GB's, this bit of mutual support could increase all our chances of building floaty winged things. Not a bad thing :thumbsup2: ,

Im going to put most of this post on the Floatplanes GB too, to encourage the sharing :) .

Both need the same, tiny number of people now.

All the best 

TonyT

• Like 2

Thanks for the cross GB support Tony! I think there are many common aircraft to both GBs and we could really build two or more, enough entries to both GBs.

I wish you luck in getting to the vote, now that we're so close (just 3 more interested members for both GBs).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 11/08/2016 at 9:19 AM, Levin said:

I've build revellls boxing of the he 70 ... I needed alot of filler and sanding :( most of the nice surface detail is now gone :(

Whatsoever, what alternations would it be on the I-16?

And how do you know? :D

hi Levin

This might be handy for you

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revell-1-72-Junkers-F-13W-Seaplane-fine-/361760414019?hash=item543a99d943:g:C5QAAOSwYIxX9pf~

Hi Tony

Sign me up for this one, it will be a float plane of some sort, need to have a rummage in the stash.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Thanks Pat ! :thumbsup: 

Welcome on board! Anything that floats and flies is most welcome. 

Just two to go! :) 

Crikey the Junkers in that link is a bit of a bargain! They're getting quite difficult to find now.

I have only three pictures of the F-13 that was still around at the start of the SCW. Two pre-war with registration codes starting M-, one during. I read one history that said this aircraft was repainted in Republican colours, but after take off the crew couldn't understand why Republican troops were firing on them :o !

This account has it that upon landing the crew discovered that the ground crew had forgotten to paint the underside of the aircraft.

Nice big white St. Andrew's crosses were all troops and AA on the ground would have seen; not 'friendly' red stripes as on the repainted wing tops.

If this is true they were lucky to survive the journey. Sounds like the ground paint crew may have had a bladder of Tempranillo too many :S:D .

Prior to the civil war the Spanish had some floatplane air ambulance versions too. I have registrations/pictures if anyone is interested. They are in white; very attractive and different for the F-13.

Levin, did I miss on information for converting a model I-16 to type 10?

Apologies if I did, please let me know the type you'd like to model and I'll do my best. Artie here on BM taught me a lot about these types.

All best regards 

TonyT

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Oh that's nice, gonna keep an eye on it.

Thanks Pat

5 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Levin, did I miss on information for converting a model I-16 to type 10?

Apologies if I did, please let me know the type you'd like to model and I'll do my best. Artie here on BM taught me a lot about these types.

All best regards 

TonyT

No problem, I let the whole modelling thing lag behind in the last few weeks over stuff like holidays, school starting, ... (I feel pretty bad for my B29 WIP honestly :unsure:)

whatever ... 

you already send me a link to a site comparing the different I-16 versions - looking at it, it seemed to me that the easiest way would be to make a type 10 out of a type 18 (which i could get my hands on),  the spinner could me made with a drill and a piece of sprue (in the worst case i go to the local metal workshop with a lathe and let it turn there) and i could turn a blind eye for the cowling though it seems like there isn't much difference (is there?)  :hmmm:;

Already thanks for all your help,

Levin 

EDIT:

btw I also think about building an early bf 109 currently, in my way of going oob where possible (can't believe i said that ) it would be the heller version does anyone know how it is?

also it seems  to me that i doen't get any notifications except likes and quotes in the browser at the moment; is there a way to make like the old version that with the little red dot on the bell?

Or this way round: to get notifications without using an email?:unsure:

Edited by Levin
forgetfulness
  • Like 1

Tony,

call me me mad but I can play in this pond. I will submit my Eduard Condor Legion boxing and try to build both the Bf 109 and the He 51 or possibly a Revell Ju52 (having just read all the interesting stuff on previous pages). 

Regards,

• Like 1

On 09/10/2016 at 6:24 PM, Levin said:

Oh that's nice, gonna keep an eye on it.

Thanks Pat

No problem, I let the whole modelling thing lag behind in the last few weeks over stuff like holidays, school starting, ... (I feel pretty bad for my B29 WIP honestly :unsure:)

whatever ... 

you already send me a link to a site comparing the different I-16 versions - looking at it, it seemed to me that the easiest way would be to make a type 10 out of a type 18 (which i could get my hands on),  the spinner could me made with a drill and a piece of sprue (in the worst case i go to the local metal workshop with a lathe and let it turn there) and i could turn a blind eye for the cowling though it seems like there isn't much difference (is there?)  :hmmm:;

Already thanks for all your help,

Levin 

EDIT:

btw I also think about building an early bf 109 currently, in my way of going oob where possible (can't believe i said that ) it would be the heller version does anyone know how it is?

also it seems  to me that i doen't get any notifications except likes and quotes in the browser at the moment; is there a way to make like the old version that with the little red dot on the bell?

Or this way round: to get notifications without using an email?:unsure:

Hello Levin, :) 

I'll have to check out your B-29 build, just swerving OT for a moment I have the Academy B-29 1/72 'Enola Gay' . I would like to see if, rather than buying another, I can convert it and make the 'Kee Bird'.

If you have any advice please send me a PM, I'd really appreciate it.

What happened with Kee Bird made me quite sad :( .

For the Type 10 I-16 in 1/72, @Jan Polc of AZ Models/KP recently mentioned that in the long term they may be considering types 5 and 10. Nothing certain AFAIK, but we've waited this long for someone to do this..just a little longer? :clif: ...

Otherwise; the ICM I-16 type 18 upwards are all the same kit, so Any can be a donor :) .

The Amodel kits of type 5 are very good in profile, but a challenge to make into a nice scale model, But they could donate the propellor and hub. Also the Amodel UTI has two types of prop and hub, one could be used for a donor, the other to not waste the UTI-4, but make e.g. a Finnish UTI-4.

I have thrown so many Amodel I-16 in the trash that I might have a spare prop and hub. With some care and a scriber, they clean up nicely. Here's one I prepared earlier ;) :

The WIP isn't finished yet. Given the 40 page limit, I want to return to my 'wing rib challenge', 'wheel well window conundrum' and more when my mojo is absolutely maxed out! 

By the way; a little expensive but nice are the Kora models Resin I-16 wheels. They look 'Type 10' appropriate to me and are a lot nicer than the Amodel and ICM wheels.

It's only a very minor front owl difference. The main thing is filling in the ski-cutaways in the ICM kit and fettling exhaust outlets/top port stack a little.

The forum. I think I'm still at the same stage as you Levin. I use the 'activity feed' options and notice red stars on threads in the same way as on the old forum software. It indicates a new post (maybe :confused: ).

I just keep checking the notifications manually. I get the feeling I'm not optimising the way it can all be used; I also request advice from any others :shrug: .

Regarding the Heller Bf-109B, I'm hopelessly biased. I believe it may be a little wrong length wise in the nose area, and I know it has some quirks if panel line etc, but I love it.

Inam having no luck making the Avis kits look anywhere near as 'model' like as the Heller. They look like chunky, badly scribed toys. For me, building those things is as much fun as sawing of my little finger with a blunt teaspoon.

Others will disagree. I haven't given up. But I'm tired of throwing them away, it's expensive.

At least the Heller goes together nicely.

Here's the last one I made. I had no air brush then, and knew a lot less about modelling, but it's ok:

I would be a very happy camper to see someone else build one :whistle: .

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

Tony,

call me me mad but I can play in this pond. I will submit my Eduard Condor Legion boxing and try to build both the Bf 109 and the He 51 or possibly a Revell Ju52 (having just read all the interesting stuff on previous pages). 

Regards,

Well that's fantastic news :thumbsup: !

The Bf-109 and He-51 pair really is a stroke of marketing genius. It will make for a stunning pair.

If you have 1/48 space, the Revell kit builds into a SCW suitable version right oob and is a stunning bird in that scale.

Thank you for joining our merry crew! Do you have a friend you can bring to the party? ;) 

ONE  to go :frantic: .

oh my word..

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Please sign me up for this Tony!

I haven't a clue what I'd build given the wealth of available subjects. At this stage I'm leaning towards either something with two sets of wings that smells of glycol, or else a 'Hemingway at the Hotel-Bar' diorama...

Splendid!

Tony

• Like 1

Woohoo! Thanks Tony and Welcome on board! :thumbsup: .

Plenty of things with two sets of wings in this conflict, all of them quite zippy looking little numbers too :pilot: 

To do the man himself would be quite something. I could advise on suitable bars, or even outdoor locations whilst filming tank battles and so on.

Yes, I really am that sad... but it would make for great dioramas :) .

Well that's one hurdle over folks. We hung on in there and now we have the 30 to allow us to enter the vote :clap::clap::D .

I'll contact Enzo tomorrow to confirm.

Meanwhile lets keep it rolling. We have lots of room left on this train to Madrid! Please try (nicely) to get people to vote for us in the upcoming poll too.

They can be assured of a colourful, historically rich and diverse set of models from this GB.

Saludo

TonyT

4 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello Levin, :) 

I'll have to check out your B-29 build, just swerving OT for a moment I have the Academy B-29 1/72 'Enola Gay' . I would like to see if, rather than buying another, I can convert it and make the 'Kee Bird'.

If you have any advice please send me a PM, I'd really appreciate it.

What happened with Kee Bird made me quite sad :( .

For the Type 10 I-16 in 1/72, @Jan Polc of AZ Models/KP recently mentioned that in the long term they may be considering types 5 and 10. Nothing certain AFAIK, but we've waited this long for someone to do this..just a little longer? :clif: ...

Otherwise; the ICM I-16 type 18 upwards are all the same kit, so Any can be a donor :) .

The Amodel kits of type 5 are very good in profile, but a challenge to make into a nice scale model, But they could donate the propellor and hub. Also the Amodel UTI has two types of prop and hub, one could be used for a donor, the other to not waste the UTI-4, but make e.g. a Finnish UTI-4.

I have thrown so many Amodel I-16 in the trash that I might have a spare prop and hub. With some care and a scriber, they clean up nicely. Here's one I prepared earlier ;) :

The WIP isn't finished yet. Given the 40 page limit, I want to return to my 'wing rib challenge', 'wheel well window conundrum' and more when my mojo is absolutely maxed out! 

By the way; a little expensive but nice are the Kora models Resin I-16 wheels. They look 'Type 10' appropriate to me and are a lot nicer than the Amodel and ICM wheels.

It's only a very minor front owl difference. The main thing is filling in the ski-cutaways in the ICM kit and fettling exhaust outlets/top port stack a little.

The forum. I think I'm still at the same stage as you Levin. I use the 'activity feed' options and notice red stars on threads in the same way as on the old forum software. It indicates a new post (maybe :confused: ).

I just keep checking the notifications manually. I get the feeling I'm not optimising the way it can all be used; I also request advice from any others :shrug: .

Regarding the Heller Bf-109B, I'm hopelessly biased. I believe it may be a little wrong length wise in the nose area, and I know it has some quirks if panel line etc, but I love it.

Inam having no luck making the Avis kits look anywhere near as 'model' like as the Heller. They look like chunky, badly scribed toys. For me, building those things is as much fun as sawing of my little finger with a blunt teaspoon.

Others will disagree. I haven't given up. But I'm tired of throwing them away, it's expensive.

At least the Heller goes together nicely.

Here's the last one I made. I had no air brush then, and knew a lot less about modelling, but it's ok:

I would be a very happy camper to see someone else build one :whistle: .

All best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony

About the B-29:

I don't know much about it but it should be ok? :hmmm:

Further here is a link with a thread i made talking about the B-29 - try asking there, maybe (or more surely) someone knows more than me

her is also the link to my WIP: 

Truly interesting and sad story about 'Kee Bird'

About the I-16:

I think currently i'll probably just start off with it or the bf 109 and then see what comes next (if anything comes next :confused:)

But for now many thanks for the infos  :worthy::thumbsup:

Edited by Levin
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Well that's fantastic news :thumbsup: !

The Bf-109 and He-51 pair really is a stroke of marketing genius. It will make for a stunning pair.

If you have 1/48 space, the Revell kit builds into a SCW suitable version right oob and is a stunning bird in that scale.

Thank you for joining our merry crew! Do you have a friend you can bring to the party? ;) 

ONE  to go :frantic: .

oh my word..

All best regards

TonyT

I may have a fellow that will climb on board, kpc7676. I will give him a friendly reminder.

regards,

Hello Tony,

I have the CA 1/48 'Early Bf 109' in Condor Legion markings, and would be willing to make a total fool of myself give it a go. Apologies for not having responded earlier: I was asleep :sleep_1:.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

• Like 1

Having already signed-up for this mission I just picked up a Potez 540 for a few pesetas, with an eye on this.

For a flavour and smell of the conflict you could do worse than read Martha Gellhorn's despatches, as well as George Orwell's own reflections on the ground. The kinds of choices people make in a civil war are also echoed in some of the themes of Federico García Lorca's play, Blood Wedding.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 6:55 AM, kpc7676 said:

Kent just contacted me😊

I would be be interested in doing the Eduard 1/48 I-16 kit.

Many thanks kpc7676! :thumbsup: .

Welcome on board, I love the I-16 :) .

I've added you to the list.

Best regards

TonyC

On 12/10/2016 at 8:44 AM, AlexN said:

Hello Tony,

I have the CA 1/48 'Early Bf 109' in Condor Legion markings, and would be willing to make a total fool of myself give it a go. Apologies for not having responded earlier: I was asleep :sleep_1:.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

Great to have you on board Alex. :thumbsup: .

Is It a Bf-109E, or a D (or earlier)?

I've added you to the list :) 

ATB

TonyT

On 14/10/2016 at 1:56 AM, TheBaron said:

Having already signed-up for this mission I just picked up a Potez 540 for a few pesetas, with an eye on this.

For a flavour and smell of the conflict you could do worse than read Martha Gellhorn's despatches, as well as George Orwell's own reflections on the ground. The kinds of choices people make in a civil war are also echoed in some of the themes of Federico García Lorca's play, Blood Wedding.

Thanks Tony :) 

It's always good to hear about the literature that grew out of real experience in this conflict.

I have just finished Hemingway's play (The Fifth Column) and Four Short Stories of the Spanish Civil War. The short stories are a superb read. I have read Orwell (a lot!), that chap was in many ways like HG Wells, almost a 'seer'. 

Beyond his his writings on the Spanish Civil War, his essays on language and the control and destruction thereof, seem extremely prophetic and accurate.

Gellhorn's dispatches and Blood Wedding are now in my 'to experience' list :) .

To somewhat morph another BritModeller phrase, I feel one cannot have too many Potez(es)!

All the best

TonyT

On 14/10/2016 at 3:54 PM, Arniec said:

I have just ordered a sheet for the Do-17E. I will pick this up with some more parts for the Su-27 that will be in a STGB next year.

Here is a link.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/LFMC48126

Cheers,

I like that choice Arnie :thumbsup2: 

Salamanca 1938, quite an early Do-17 to the front.

Kora/LF really look after us with Spanish Civil War and Ejercito Del Aire decals.

Their 1/72 range for the Savoia Marchetti SM 79 is just incredible.

Your 'bacalao' will look amazing in 1/48 with the bold splinter scheme,

Let's hope we pass the vote :) 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On 16/10/2016 at 1:50 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

Having reached the threshold of 30, this one is in the vote for 2017.

Thank you Enzo :) .

Thank you for your help in putting my wheels on the right tracks, in terms of figuring out Group Builds, and for all your work here.

Best regards

TonyT

I just wanted to let the enthusiasts here know that the 'Spanish Nationalist' boxing of the Dornier Wal by Amodel in 1/72; is now available:

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/dornier-do-j-wal-spain-nationalist--72252-a-model-amdl72252-netherlands-military/product/?action=prodinfo&art=139618

Also great news is that a 'Republican' version is also to be released, although I don't know when.

If anyone sees/buys one of these, please let us know your impressions. I'm particularly interested to know what engine/propellor options are given in the kits.

Saludo

TonyT

• Like 1