H.M.C.S Huron Destroyer 1/350 Trumpeter

Well starting a new project to get more practice in I think I maybe catching something off you lot because I have the WEM photo etch for this also :weep:

IMG_2974_zpsacw05ryv.jpg

IMG_2975_zpsgpejursn.jpg

IMG_2976_zps5etz0myp.jpg

Beefy

• Like 14

Nice , fast progress

Crikey you've built it already!

Thanks but the whole upper deck fittings are just dry fitted at the minute doing small bits on this when working on another build hope to get more done soon

Beefy

• 5 months later...

OK now that I have nearly cleared the decks so to speak of all other projects I will be starting this build back up  :book:

I have a question for those in the know about WW 2 destroyers I have only a small amount of reference for these ships so any help would be greatly appreciated please  :please:

Would the Aft funnel be cut down if building this ship as 1944 fit the instructions for the PE say to cut down if this is built after 1942 but I,am not sure if all of the class had this modification done??  :hmmm:

Beefy

• Like 1

Unquestionably yes, earlier units had them cut down,but she almost certainly completed with a shorter aft funnel-this was a weight reduction measure,and improved the sky arc of the 2pdr mounting as well. You should check any references if you have them-Tribal Class Destroyers by Peter Hodges is well worth the effort of obtaining,despite its age.The author had a great eye for detail,and even though the sketches he did for this book,as well as the articles in the old Airfix magazine appear a tad crude they are very accurate on detail.

HTH 

mtd

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply MTD

First job after the new year is to crack on with that and then look for the correct colours to use

Have some of the Akan paints think that is the name western approach colours so will be checking these are correct

Beefy

Well blow me after doing some searching on the NET I have found out that this ship was build by Armstong Vickers on the river Tyne about 10 mile from were I live sadly the big shipyards are no more  :(

So with that in mind I will have to pull the old socks up and make sure I try and do a good job of it  :rolleyes:

Also found some photos of her clearly showing a short aft funnel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Huron_(G24)

Edited by beefy66
  • Like 1

From what I can find out all of the Tribal's that were built for the Australian and Canadian Navies had the shortened aft funnel, from construction. Lessons learned from the ships in service from the very beginning of the war

Edited by Bugle07
  • Like 1

Well cut the aft funnel down by 3mm and have started to add the PE covers and build up the main guns.

IMG_3509_zpswymefiww.jpg

Now will be drilling out the port holes around the hull and main structures

Beefy

• Like 11

I'll be following this with interest, particularly as a Brit built destroyer is on my list to build at some time in the future. Good work so far.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2017 at 8:52 PM, Rob 1 said:

I'll be following this with interest, particularly as a Brit built destroyer is on my list to build at some time in the future. Good work so far.

On 1/5/2017 at 6:28 PM, Bugle07 said:

Looking very smart, nice work on the funnel and the P.E.:blink:

Thanks Rob / Bugle I also have the Trumpeter Eskimo in the stash I,am trying to build up my skills with the PE in this scale using these destroyer kits so fingers crossed will look OK

More work done all port hole drilled out and Hull primed and red oxide anti foul added

The bucket is playing up so photos tomorrow

beefy

OK so managed to get photos uploaded and also more PE added to the main structures.

port holes drilled and Hull primed in anti foul red

IMG_3512_zpsqbikufct.jpg

IMG_3513_zps19l6fp3o.jpg

Added extra PE railing to torpedo launcher from kit fret

IMG_3510_zpsznthtp41.jpg

And ladders to the bridge

IMG_3511_zpsnqkeewzm.jpg

And more rails and ladders fitted

IMG_3514_zpscn7n6zzs.jpg

beefy

• Like 12

Great work Beefy,I seemed to have developed a fondness for these smaller Trumpeter kits,having recently added HMS Roberts and Tsesarevich 1904 to my stash:huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

• Like 1