Slap Dash Dauntless (Airfix 1/72)

Hello

So after an infuriating, angry, narked off, almost thrown out the window, a***ache of an F-51 Mustang that nearly brought me to throwing the stash, paints, and tools into the bin I decided to just try and have fun with the next one.

So one of the Home Bargains bargains was the Dauntless. Despite being warned by my dad that it was "a dog of a kit" I didn't listen and stuck it in the basket because for £2.99 who cares ( unless it's an F-51!) I also don't have many US Aircraft built on display in the house except the excellent Airfix 1/72 P-51 Mustang (making me ask wth happened between that and the F-51!!!!) So this would be something different.

First impression on opening it was that it was just a box with two solid slabs of plastic in it. It was hard to see what was kit and what was excess on the sprue and at one point I had to carve the bomb rack off the sprue. The glazing is also poor quality mouldings but for a nearly 50 year old tool it's to be expected. I must say despite being straight out the box with the only intention of having it built and trying to have a bit of fun with them like I used to and to relax after the Mustang it has been a joy to slap together.

It's by no means the best I've done, it's probably one of the worst if i'm honest with myself, but I enjoyed building it and painting it (even the excavation of the landing gear holes in the wing) and I'm happier with this than most of the others on the shelf.

I know given the quality of the ones on the forum this will look like a massive let down and the work of a noobie but I had fun.

And at the end of the day, that's what it should be about.

Thanks for looking.

13681039_10157132068185514_7581942618009

13686656_10157132068885514_4175917088284

13769437_10157132068505514_7211060468351

And on the shelf with the S***stang, the Red Tail, Spit and Corsair.

13775364_10157132069330514_8376770705190

• Like 12

The landing gear was like wet paper, horribly warped so the wheels weren't sitting right, ended up supergluing the top edge of the wheel to the inner landing gear door just to get it to look right, then the decals disintegrated into a 1000 piece jigsaw when I they were in the bowl. Plus the sharksmouth was a nightmare for me to get it on right.

I probably just hit unlucky with it, just pleased I didn't pay full price.

Just shows what can be done with such an old kit.

Sod's Law now says that Airfix will announce a nice, shiny new all-singing, all-dancing dip-de-do kit later this year, for which I thank you!

I remember building one of these in the mid-seventies and not doing nearly as well as you have with yours.

I agree with you about the Mustang undercarriage: both of mine were so bad that I invested in the Scale Aircraft Conversions white metal set, having thought that my own ham-fistedness was to blame for the shockingly poor results I obtained with the kit parts.

gregg136, on 16 Jul 2016 - 7:28 PM, said:

The landing gear was like wet paper, horribly warped so the wheels weren't sitting right, ended up supergluing the top edge of the wheel to the inner landing gear door just to get it to look right, then the decals disintegrated into a 1000 piece jigsaw when I they were in the bowl. Plus the sharksmouth was a nightmare for me to get it on right.

I probably just hit unlucky with it, just pleased I didn't pay full price.

I feel your pain, I used one for my racer build and the gear was mildly terrifying. Airfix's India moulders use a horrible soft waxy plastic that warps and then is very delicate. Still you made a fine job of the Dauntless - rivets and all, I may be inspired to build a few of my HB stash....I hope your mojo is well and truly restored!

A

I feel your pain, I used one for my racer build and the gear was mildly terrifying. Airfix's India moulders use a horrible soft waxy plastic that warps and then is very delicate. Still you made a fine job of the Dauntless - rivets and all, I may be inspired to build a few of my HB stash....I hope your mojo is well and truly restored!

A

You could say that... :winkgrin:

13709632_10157133176880514_1098106422_o_

I only went to put the box in the pile

• Like 1

Given the constraints you put on yourself & what you had to work with, I reckon that has come out really quite well. I can't resist attacking those old Airfix riveted kits with some fine wet & dry to reduce the bumps somewhat & I'll treat mine to a Falcon canopy but other than that, I'd do it much the same as you have.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1