1/72 Italeri DUKW

I've got a feeling I tried the Revell Tiger the last time I had a bash at all this - it all ended very badly which meant I put off building the Dragon Sd.Kfz.181 Panzerkampfwagen VI my wife bought me. I'll try the Dragon kit if I survive the DUKW. I might, for your amusement/horror/desolation, try and dig out the Tiger mess tomorrow and put a pic up

Edited by Avereda

• 4 weeks later...

Still grinding along despite the considerable distraction of the MTO GB. Had a load of hassle getting the bulkhead and side walls in, this has contributed to the (ahem) natural weathering on the sides. Some limited weathering to follow and then I'll put this one to bed I think.

duksidelt

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 1

Tight as you like, the front bulkhead's not even glued. I'm not really I'm a position to be critical of the kit but if you're returning to the hobby I'd steer clear of it for your first work in progress thread. I'll round up the struggles I had when I get to the end but please bear in mind that I'm not bringing a refined skill set to this build.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-8-20 at 6:51 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Good progress, you seem to be getting to grips with the kits various foibles. :coolio:

As for etch & aftermarket, I too swore I'd never touch them.....But it didn't last. :fraidnot:

If you want to try a reasonably priced AFV kit that can look amazing out of the box, have a look at the Revell 1/72 Tiger II Ausf B (Production Turret):

revell-1.72-03129-wwii-german-tiger-ii-a

OOTB this kit has almost no vices, but when you get around to building the tracks, DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.....PM me and I'll send (or post) some photos of how they are supposed to fit together. :nerd:

If you want to go beserk there are plenty of etch & resin sets out there for this kit, but make sure you choose one with replacement parts for the big vents behind the turret, the treadplate-like plastic parts are the only significant issue that I can think of with this lovely little kit. :pipe:

Look what the postie brought me last week - I'll be in touch when I get round to taking it on

revtiger

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Pretty confident you'll enjoy this one, it's basic but everything's there and it's beautifully engineered.....I could be tempted to join in when you get started (I've still got four in my stash).  :coolio:

That could be fun, I'll give you a shout when I'm ready to go

• 3 months later...

If only to prove that man need not live off WW2 aircraft alone, a brief update on the state of play. The decals are on, some random weathering and highlighting has been attempted and a few bits have been knocked off. I'll try and bring this one to some sort of conclusion later this month once any GB commitments are out of the way.

32173649886_eda1cf9752_b.jpg