AModel Tupolev Tu-104

23 hours ago, Jpthedog said:

CSA colours - although I cant find any pics of this colour??

I had that problem too when I was considering getting the sheet as a back up in case the kit decals didn't work. All I could find was the scheme in red...

Whatever, the scheme looks very nice on your little Tupolev!

Keith

I too have that decal sheet. I searched CSA Tu-104 and found these 

http://www.avtoexport.cz/tu104.html

http://basilzolotov.com/tag/tu-104/page/2/

http://www.planes.cz/cs/photo/1020796

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/tu-104.html

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 5

I have a feeling that the scheme was changed as a result of an accident one of their TU-104 suffered in India. I think it was wearing those colours and the decision was made to change to the red colours - but I could be wrong!!

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
Auto correct always replaces of with if...
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments and links to the real aircraft - great to see that it did existi in those colours! Got some aerials to put on and the dreaded undercarriage doors - attached with 'skyhooks' as per usual! 

Not massive progress, but I'm really liking the 104 so heres another pic!

IMG_2080_zpsdebcu42m.jpg

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I like the TU-104 and I love your model of it. It's really giving me the kick I need to start mine again. The blue cheat line looks really better than the red one IMHO.

Jeff

Jeff

Cheers - blue and red both look good in my opinion. Yeah get that 104 finished!

John 

• 4 weeks later...

OK I'm calling it finished. Havent panel washed anything or coated with future but think I will leave it in pristine condition! Enjoyable build and great decals from BOA - a good model can be built realtively easily from this Amodel kit. Aerial cable added which is stretched sprue rather than EZ line. A few small aerials made too.

IMG_2336_zpsmtll9kt7.jpg

Photos in the gallery.

• Like 5

Great work John. Beautiful model.

I agree this kit is an enjoyable build - loved building mine. People seem to be put off by AModel's reputation - probably right for some of their earlier kits - but this kit is pretty straightforward. Sure it's got a few fit problems, but none that are all that hard to deal with, and a few wobbly panel lines, but it doesn't require advanced modelling skills and builds up into a nice model.

Just realised I forgot to paint the wingtips on mine!

• Like 1

That's a real stunner John.  Well done. :thumbsup:  

I'm one of those who is wary of AModel - my attempt to build their An-72 ended up in the bin although I did manage to batter the Lancastrian into submission.  Having seen how well the Tu-104 has turned out I might have to revise my opinion.

Nice to see somebody else has discovered Coastal Kits' excellent display bases!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Great work John. Beautiful model.

I agree this kit is an enjoyable build - loved building mine. People seem to be put off by AModel's reputation - probably right for some of their earlier kits - but this kit is pretty straightforward. Sure it's got a few fit problems, but none that are all that hard to deal with, and a few wobbly panel lines, but it doesn't require advanced modelling skills and builds up into a nice model.

Just realised I forgot to paint the wingtips on mine!

Cheers Zebra! I am glad you like it. Agree with the minor negatives but overall it looks like a Tu104 all the way. The wingtips are usually painted red for russian built machines but some pics showed CSA 104s with and some without the painted wingtips - so you have licence to please yourself on that one! John

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

That's a real stunner John.  Well done. :thumbsup:  

I'm one of those who is wary of AModel - my attempt to build their An-72 ended up in the bin although I did manage to batter the Lancastrian into submission.  Having seen how well the Tu-104 has turned out I might have to revise my opinion.

Nice to see somebody else has discovered Coastal Kits' excellent display bases!

Dave thanks for the compliments - specially knowing the qulity of your own airliners! The 104 is a nice kit - end of! I kept getting 'advice'at my local modelling club that I should have bases for my kits - so coastal was a quick fix - looks fine for that era as well! 

I have a stalled Amodel An72 that I would like to finish - I dont recall any problems but my standards may have risen in the years since I last saw it! Aerflot polar scheme, faded is what I have in mind for it after a visit to Bykovo in 2008 

12 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Lovely work John, gorgeous little Tupolev!

Keith

Thanks Keith - although I wouldnt call it little! Compare it to an A320 in length and it must have been quite high off the ground with its 'stalky' undercarriage. Maybe I will post up a pic with something else for comparison!

That is really nice John, loverly finish overall and very neat.  I'd agree that it's not too difficult a build, although it has a bit of a 'limited run' feel to it it goes together quite well. Certainly a big improvement over earlier Amodel kits, and I'm grateful that someone has kitetd it at all. I love Russian airliners!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Really nice result John

The panel lines look much better under a couple of coats of paint and the end product is well worth the effort you have put in to it.

I saw Viking's finished kit last night and may have to add one of these to the stash now.

Chris.