"MASSIVE and OLD" It's only a ruddy GRUMMAN EA-6B Prowler 1/48 by Airfix.

Hi Guys.

I'd like to welcome you all to my latest build, hot on the heels of my 1/72 vampire I checked the stash for a likely candidate. I have a few choice Tamiya kits that I'm eager to build but having built a few lovely models of late I'm really looking for a bit of a challenge. Taking cues from some of my friends on here, (you know who you are) I was intrigued and fascinated by the way you guys revel in bringing older kits kicking and screaming into the most wonderful states of fruition.

One kit I bought on E-bay a few months back for the princely sum of £10 I think was the "Grumman ea-6b Prowler" I knew nothing about this kit but I loved the plane, such an unusual and lovely shape, to be fair being a 1/48 I expected it to me medium sized, how wrong I was. This thing is mahoosive. :Tasty: it's also super old, I didn't realize how different older models can be from today's lovely kits, all the better for what I have in mind. :mental:

Any way as this is my biggest build to date and possibly my most challenging I'm going to document it here warts and all, There aren't many builds of the Airfix kit as from what I have read it was a scaled up version of a 1/72 with not very much detail but a rather good shape. :coolio: I'm not looking to keep super accurate here but I'm aiming to have a fun time digging around trying to bring out the inner charm of this wonderful kit. It was all bagged up when I got it, I believe its the mid 80s kit, staples in the instructions and everything. :yahoo: The decals look good but I worry that they might disintegrate as they look a little flaky on the star and bar, we shall see.

Any road up, as I'm back from my good friends leaving do at work, one pint as I was driving :guitar: , the kids are in bed and the wife's out I'm going to make a cuppa and get cracking. ( I do wish I had an airfix mug like Phil's :thumbsup: )

Ladies and gentlemen I give you the

"MASSIVE and OLD" It's only a ruddy GRUMMAN EA-6B Prowler 1/48 by Airfix.

First off a very old and dented box, with a bit of a rubbishy picture on the front. Good start huh. :bounce:

B7AC1D87-0F23-44DE-A396-4308BB68D512_zpsbfwjen8r

next up the sprues, I cant fit them all in one picture as they are the size of a small football pitch so have a few. :ike:

7B0437B8-519E-48D7-B3CA-22C25C46D929_zpsnb8dpqvg

455AC874-7CED-4FD9-82B5-72A9B03B07D8_zpswerhj4pi

Ther are two options with the kit, I'm going to opt for this one.

8E130177-855C-40CC-9685-86B6809849B9_zps3bzne4c8

as it looks a bit like this, and this looks ace.

E773B13C-2511-4B4E-B13C-7E41BE3EE27F_zps93hdivxg

Here we go :hobbyhorse: first thing as I pick up the parts and notice all the panel lines are raised :weep: This is my first encounter with such phenomena but hey how difficult can it be? :hobbyhorse:

0F09ACDB-882B-4E32-AC82-9AD81D98684A_zpslzd0vkxi

I had bought some tools to help me out a while ago as I have a Tamiya F14 in the stash and was aware of some of its pitfalls. so re-scribing here we come. :pilot:

first off a good sand with one of the wife's old nail files.

7DEA9305-F03E-4F89-8297-1118294C9E09_zps2bqkupja

I know this makes me look like a maverick but I'm not, I used the straight edge of a try tool to get the lines then free handed them later to get them hopefully right.

E41AFC54-A5F2-4356-BFFE-A5BBD882CF99_zpsksowbrji

Here we are with half of one wing, I't took me about an hour. :popcorn: this is going to be a long and dusty road.

CBD8B9B4-4976-4112-AC73-4798A9F75DF6_zpsczt32wys

But i'm sure it'll be worth it. wont it? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Right i'm going to put the kettle on. Wish me luck, and if you wanna tag along for the ride feel free. hopefully it'll be fun, educational and emotional.

See you next time and thanks for taking the time to look over and see what I'm up to.

All the best and as ever Happy modelling.

John :pilot:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 20

Keep up the good work, John. :thumbsup:

I hope you have more momentum in the scribing process than I had with my Mirage! :winkgrin:

But it could be worse - it could be a F-84F - it's like that plane was made of alle the smallest pieces of metalsheet Republic could find! :winkgrin:

I didn't know Airfix made a 1/48 Prowler - is it a reboxing? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1

Keep up the good work, John. :thumbsup:

I hope you have more momentum in the scribing process than I had with my Mirage! :winkgrin:

But it could be worse - it could be a F-84F - it's like that plane was made of alle the smallest pieces of metalsheet Republic could find! :winkgrin:

I didn't know Airfix made a 1/48 Prowler - is it a reboxing? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Thanks Hans. You looked like you were having fun with those wings. I'm feeling your pain. ;). I just checked the instructions and they say 1995 so it must be a re box, not quite as old as I originally thought. But old enough. :D

Just a tip if you are going to re-scribe the kit, John.....

Don't sand the original panel lines yet.....Use them as a guide, and "draw" them with a sharpie, the finer the better. Once all the panel lines are marked, use them a guide and just scribe them..take your time...scribe the horizontal lines first, then the crossing ones...When all the panels have been re-scribed, just sand the original raised ones. Finally, wash the kit parts with the aid of a toothbrush along the panel lines to wipa away any sanding residue....

You're now entering the amazing world of old, classic kits. Giving them a new life is both comforting and challenging...Congratulations for your new choice...!!!!

Been there, done that...!!!

Best regards...

Edited by Artie
  • Like 10

This is one of the few kits I remember building as a kid. The MAtchbox Privateer is another, so size must have been a critical factor. As an adult, raised panel lines and white/grey schemes make size a lot less appealing! Thank goodness for Britmodeller, so that I can indulge in a vicarious build experience.

• Like 3

Just a tip if you are going to re-scribe the kit, John.....

Don't sand the original panel lines yet.....Use them as a guide, and "draw" them with a sharpie, the finer the better. Once all the panel lines are marked, use them a guide and just scribe them..take your time...scribe the horizontal lines first, then the crossing ones...When all the panels have been re-scribed, just sand the original raised ones. Finally, wash the kit parts with the aid of a toothbrush along the panel lines to wipa away any sanding residue....

You're now entering the amazing world of old, classic kits. Giving them a new life is both comforting and challenging...Congratulations for your new choice...!!!!

Been there, done that...!!!

Best regards...

Thanks Artie. Thanks for the advice, it's a little late I'm afraid as I'm half way through. ;) I'm taking my time and doing all the other things you mentioned but I sanded first. It seems ok though as I can still see the vague lines underneath. I'm on the fuselage now. Dymo tape tastic. :D

• Like 2

This is one of the few kits I remember building as a kid. The MAtchbox Privateer is another, so size must have been a critical factor. As an adult, raised panel lines and white/grey schemes make size a lot less appealing! Thank goodness for Britmodeller, so that I can indulge in a vicarious build experience.

Glad to be at service. :D Matchbox Privateer you say? Hmmmmm. :)

Will be keeping an eye on this one.

​It certainly looks a tad more substantial than the wee vampire.

​Have fun!

It is that. :) glad to have you on board. :D

What we need is a laser scanner thingie that detects the raised lines, then zaps a neat recessed line in the right spot, dead straight every time. It wouldn't be dangerous at all obviously. If it can do all the filling, sanding and painting as well that would be great. Gluing the bits together I like to do myself - most of the time.

• Like 3

Nice scribing! I will be watching this one. IT looks like a nice kit (well, lots of parts anyway) and the decal sheet seems quite comprehensive.

I didn't even know Airfix did such a beast. The sprues runners look very Airfix-like, but is it a re-pop of someone else's? I can't imagine Airfix in 1981/2 deciding to invest in this tool. Maybe that's why they hit the skids that time...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

At the time the only other option was Monogram. It's an Airfix tooling. I bought my first one just as they went bust, and had trouble getting a replacement canopy. I sold that and bought another a couple of years ago from a club member. It is a monster all right. I do wish I could get Light Gull Gray in a Halfords rattle can though.

• Like 1

Just sat down at the back near the slide projector John :).

Well you've certainly made a brave start, scribing is one of those things that scares the living daylights out of me :door: ! I'm better at it after a glass of wine, the Dutch courage works wonders, until I see the mess I've actually made the next day.

I can't even work out how to construct a 'Scribe-R' I just bought, it's just stuck in its bag :tumble:.

Keep up the good work, this is going to be big and awesome.

Best regards

TT

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for all the interest. :pilot: keeps me going you know. :thumbsup::coolio:

Most of this weekend was spent on the Pew and the Vampire RFI which is up by the way. you can find it here.

(http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005879-honey-i-shrunk-the-de-havilland-vampire-t11-172-the-gentlemans-scale-rfi/)

I did manage to get some scribing done ducking into the cave for the odd few minutes here and there, I(ts actually going rather well, I don't know what I would do without DYMO tape. :winkgrin:

here are the two wing tops

B285C75B-10DA-4420-8676-B8FEEF742AE6_zpsawjtmpkm

and

1A9B221B-44E8-44F5-8105-FDDBB301E3FC_zpsjtupanun

And I dry fitted the fuselage together, Holy moly this looks so nice and massive.

C175483C-5437-4006-B0ED-1E8ADCB6C5AE_zps8vmefrr3

Here is a before ( hopefully you can pick up on that raised detail. )

802EC5E7-5124-4E98-8F1E-594B1A989067_zpswbhg8kjw

and after. :yahoo:

6EC8E4A8-B514-44D2-A2F1-4C20100FCF90_zpsb4fmkxgg

I forget who said it now but Scribing is indeed very therapeutic. :mental:

Looking at where the build actually starts I kept looking at the tub which was....... Well I'll take some pics and you can make up your own mind, (it's a bit plain) so any way I looked for an after market pit but couldn't find one for an Airfix kit so ended up getting the Airies one for the Revell kit. £18 it looks brilliant and as the different model types of this pit looked the same I can squeeze it into my fuselage. If any of you know if I have made the wrong choice please let me know. Hopefully not, fingers crossed.

Any way thanks for watching, I'll try and get this scribing done so I can move on with the build.

Happy modelling.

Johnny boy. :captain:

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 9

Nice work on that scribing. An aircraft I've always liked....but it's the wrong scale mate..! :P Seriously though, it's big in 1/72, so unsurprisingly you've got a beast on the bench. Will follow with interest.

Very neat scribing! The kit is being transformed already :) Looking forward to seeing your spangly new cockpit.

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks you lot. While waiting for the pit to arrive the scribing saga continues. To be fair it seems endless. Not really a lot to show but trust me it's getting there. I did get to use my filler however.

300E59AA-137D-43C3-915B-AE99BBE9A425_zpsetmsyllc

Not quite as bad as I thought. :D I did manage to dry fit a wing to show the pin marks and detail I'm going to have to fit in the wheel wells. :o

300636A0-192E-4EAF-9596-477D53B94696_zpshsr0fqcz

But mostly it's been.......

All scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boyAll scribing and no play makes john a dull boy....;)

The shiny pit should show up tomorrow so you can have a butchers. Thanks for taking an interest in my twists of plastic and dust, it must be the heat.

Take care y'all.

Johnny mad dogs and Englishmen.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 7

Now John. I know you said that the scribing was therapeutic :mental: at which point I started to be a little worried, but it seems things may be taking a turn. The attached movie clip may help clarify my concerns:

Maybe it's time to have a lovely rest from the scribing and do some basket weaving or knitting :shrug:?

:D

So.

Much.

Scribing :o!

Tony

• Like 4

I don't mind scribing as a task too much. Gotta be in the right frame of mind cos rushing it is a recipe for disaster (mind you that applies to most aspects of this hobby) but if the patience levels are feeling high - I agree it can be (almost maybe) therapeutic - well - satisfying at least :)

• Like 4