De Havilland Heron 1 SABENA - using the Airfix 1/72nd kit

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad that I decided not to paint the nacelles until after the decal stage had been completed because the white paint has made the colours pop.  Once I get the decals and paint finished it's on with the last few jobs - props, exhausts, wheels and a light for the nose wheel fairing. I thought that I had some 2mm clear lenses in my go to box, but I haven't found any so I will pick some up at Telford next weekend.

• Like 2

Spent the last couple of sessions adding decals to the opposite side of this and the A319, then painted up the wheels for the Heron. The decals seem to be a better fit on the starboard side but there are still some areas that require further attention.

I've had to give up further work for today, because my hands are aching after a long decaling session this afternoon, I am due to have some treatment for my arthritis on Tuesday so things should be better after that.

DSC01459_zpsyeu5pgs5.jpg

DSC01460_zpskjek88be.jpg

• Like 13

Following this with interest, you are doing a brilliant job. From the "better late than never" department I found some pictures of a dismantled Heron showing the fixed main undercarriage which may be useful: http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/heron.html 

Richard in NZ

Edited by rholland
Missed capital
  • Like 1

Richard,

Thanks for sharing the link, the main undercarriage photos are enlightening. Looking at them it appears that the legs are faired in around the nacelles, so my assumptions for this build are probably incorrect but they were based on best guess from the photos I found. Too late for this build though but I am sure that it will be a useful reference for future builders.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 1:36 AM, rholland said:

Following this with interest, you are doing a brilliant job. From the "better late than never" department I found some pictures of a dismantled Heron showing the fixed main undercarriage which may be useful: http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/heron.html 

Richard in NZ

Very useful....I've got my Heron's legs in the wrong place too! I've enhanced the originals for clarity, though they are pretty low res...might be helpful....

Heron%20undercarriage_zpshovdrhf5.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up a tin of Sabena Blue when I was in Telford over the weekend and applied the final thinned coat to the nacelles this morning. Just have to unmask and then mask up to paint the leading edge de-icing. I should be on the home stretch once that has been finished, just props, exhausts, aileron balances and some lights and a few other bits to finish things off. 

DSC01486_zpsldyq9kkf.jpg

DSC01485_zpstmxtvlzq.jpg

Hopefully, the next update should see this one finished. :)

• Like 8

I have added some aerials and lights over the past couple of days and got a coat of satin varnish on this morning, so I am going to call this finished. I'll see what time I have tomorrow and if I can squeeze it in I'll add some wing tip lights before taking the gallery photos, but for now here are the final photos for this build.

DSC01489_zpseyiaaaeu.jpg

DSC01499_zpsjqf2ogzf.jpg

DSC01488_zpscv0auzwf.jpg

DSC01503_zpsuc4mleki.jpg

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment and for the support throughout my build. Thanks also to Ray (Trojan Thunder) for doing a great job hosting this group build. It can't be easy trying find the time to comment on peoples builds and also manage to squeeze in a couple of models too, great job bud. And a final thank you goes to Enzo for setting things up.

Off to try and finish the Air Canada A319 now.

• Like 7

Hey guys, thanks for all your generous comments. I hope to get into the conservatory tomorrow, where the light is better, to take some photos for the gallery.

I should have mentioned that the aerials have been made using small pieces of Albion Alloys micro tubing and some 0.1mm nickel silver rod. The DF wire is Uschi van den Rosten superfine rigging thread with a wire loop and a piece of micro tubing making up the connection.

• Like 2

A real beauty John :thumbsup2: 

The timing for the tinlet of Sabena blue was perfect; it's a great match and the nacelles look superb.

Thanks for sharing a really informative and interesting build.

Hope the arthritis in the old digits has eased a bit :) 

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment gents.

Tony

Had the treatment a little over a week ago and the hands are much better now. It should last over the Christmas period so it won't stop me raising a glass...or two....or three...or hic. :drink: I hope that you are on the mend bud.

Martin

More pics in the gallery. Enjoy

Cliff

Sorry to hear that my build is causing you some pain matey. :D

• Like 1