VC10 BUA registration number positioning

kev67

Hi

I am at the stage with my build that has halted me in some way, and that is the positioning of the registration numbers on the aircraft G-ASIX, especially the one under the rear engines as there does not seem to be any clear photos I can find of its position, any help would be grateful

The other thing that I am not 100% sure is looking at photos it seems the whole of the engine and attachment wing (not sure on the technical name of this) is painted aluminium I believe they wanted to keep it the same as the BAC1-11 and removed the ROLLS ROYCE VC10 text on the engine, am I right in my assumption

Cheers

Kev

Here's a pic of G-ASIW. Hard to see any registration below the engines on this one but it looks tucked up high under the pylon and back a couple of feet from the intake lip.

David10030572785_35eafa2d15_b.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, as you can see it s not easy finding a good photo that shows the position, as normally they are either photographed in the wrong angle or shadow blocks out the detail

Hi Kev. They varied the Cowling paint. I've seen them with NMF (not to Vickers spec BTW) and White but might have been light grey aswell,might be confusing that with others so not 100%. GARTA had NMF cowlings with BCAL too.

The whole of the VC10 was painted IAW Vickers specs. The Stubs should have been painted aswell. Exceptions,the Titanium portion of the Beaver tails,Pitots,sensors (plates), lightning conductor (spike) on the Radome,water horns,intake nose caps and some aerials.Can't think of much else but there could be. I remember trying to get the numbers off their 'tens in the 60s. Hidden under the stubwing, not easy, the only other hope were the last two letters up by the nose (I think it was two!)

Edited by bzn20

Just had a look through my archives. Sounds impresive buts just a folder on my laptop! Anyway...I found white cowlings on TDJ ,SIW and SIX with the Rolls Royce titles on. From the start of the twin coloured cheatlines,BUA scheme. Not found a grey I mentioned though so discount that unless you can find one. Also NMF. Either way the reg was under the stubwing and last TWO letters up by the nose,see above picture for postion.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks, I have one photo from the back of the BUA VC10, not sure which of those BUA VC10 it is though from the British Caledonian web site photo from Dave Hedge, shows the engine stubs which to my eyes looks the same dull aluminium as the engines, but is very hard to tell but certainly not white, I might just spray the stub aluminium

The beaver tails start off as plain Titanium, matte. Unless you want to weather them ? The Monel (brass colour) rivet heads pull the sheet in (depression) and that gets black and can be just a mixture of matte silver,brown and black. Not easy to explain !

Can I have your email again via PM. I'll send some Beaver pics Doesn't sound right but you know what I mean !

Sorry misread the Stubs info you wanted.I'll leave the above for you just incase...

GARTA's Stubs do look like NMF to me on that photo. All the 'tens I worked ( more than 30) on were painted including the Sultans.I know an exBUA/EAA VC10 man,I'll ask him.

Edited by bzn20

Thanks for the information much appreciated, if you chat with your friend tell him that I am doing the version without the Rolls Royce VC10 logo along the engine, I believe this was to keep in line with the BAC 1-11 livery

He said they were white Kev. BTW He is currently involved with ZA150,ex 5H-MOG at Dunsfold.

Some say..........

. :ninja: !

What about the walkround section? IRC the paint was flaking off the rivet heads. Also, before you start the Beavers have a look at those too. Where the paint line stops.

BTW Its looking good Kev.