B-24 Liberator B VI - Airfix 1/72

Simon (Beard) you do make me laugh :rofl:

Hi Simon (the spooky one) and welcome!

Hi Steve - please don't worry about 'highjacking' - I like the diversity and the diversion from this :shutup: awful kit...

Painted the props and applied Clearfix to the windows. Big deal...

• Like 1

It looks as though I'm ready to close up after a bit of IG touching up but, as I've had a G&T tonight, I'll leave it to the morning to check:

28320127471_52eb8e9ae8_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I won't forget the cabin stewards and their trays - the realistic gun mounts (which it took me ages to find on the runner) are drying right now...

• Like 10

That's coming together well Ced. I've been having a ponder (always dangerous); you could paint the wings while they're off, given the way they slot in. That way you wouldn't have to wrestle with the whole huge beastie whilst applying your AK.

Just a thought :)

TT

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

You really are rocketting along with this one B)

Hope you are not wilting too much from the heat today - apparently we will be getting a heatwave in Scotland too!*

Cheers,

Stew

* ... but apparently followed by violent thunderstorms tomorrow - luckily I'm quite a fan of violent thunderstorms :D

• Like 4

It looks as though I'm ready to close up after a bit of IG touching up but, as I've had a G&T tonight, I'll leave it to the morning to check:

It IS G&T weather, isn't it? You've certainly earned yours Ced the way you're forging onwards here. Nearly ready to start swivelling those turrets between thumb and forefinger and making 'dakka-dakka' sounds...

• Like 4

Hi Ced,

Hope you are not wilting too much from the heat today - apparently we will be getting a heatwave in Scotland too!*

Cheers,

Stew

* ... but apparently followed by violent thunderstorms tomorrow - luckily I'm quite a fan of violent thunderstorms :D

Except when they fry your router and other sensitive electronic devices (because some fool forgot to install a surge protector).

Curious - what does "hot" mean north of Hadrian's Wall? We seem to be having an excessivley warm winter in the Sydney region - temp in the mid 20s (24.3 °C) today.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 3

This takes me right back!

I've got an old boxing Airfix Halifax, a Hudson and Sunderland knocking about. I am tempted to just build them and to hell with the "issues".

There's something deeply, deeply, refreshing about building a crap vintage kit without worrying about 'correcting' everything.

• Like 4

Oh it looks like a Liberator in the end imho . Under the ceiling with wheels up the shape issues are not so prominent I think. The Liberator is the only one which looks very clumsy (and chubby) on the ground and tatadada very sleek and slim in the air. Always wondered about this.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

OK, perhaps I should re-quote (like this) where they're over the page... let me know what you think...

That's coming together well Ced. I've been having a ponder (always dangerous); you could paint the wings while they're off, given the way they slot in. That way you wouldn't have to wrestle with the whole huge beastie whilst applying your AK.
Just a thought :)
TT

Thanks Tony - great idea and will be adopted! I'd already decided to leave the tail fins off until they were painted, transfers applied and a gloss coat on the yellow - they're very shiny in the walk around shots.

Hi Ced,

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew. My desk thingy said it was 31o this morning so the Dyson (I love them) fan is on already. I've already agreed with 'the boys' that we should assume Mediterranean work mode...

Thanks Tony - G&Ts (actually should be Gs&T as we all know, old boy) will be out this evening - I need to keep hydrated! (No 'health scares' about alcohol being a diuretic please, I'm going to have coffee too!) Nearly at dagadaga time - I've had a quick practice already.

Thanks Alex - Stew's right of course - it's chilly 'up North'. Down here in 'soft Southerner land' I think 'hot' is when you have to take your waistcoat off and wear short sleeves. Or is that just me? Mid 20s I can cope with (nice), anything higher than that and I'm wilting.

Thanks Jamie - old kits are great for the nostalgia but they are a pain really... I build them wearing rose-tinted glasses and make 'jolly comments' to excuse the awful results. That said it'll look fine on the ceiling. Behind a lampshade or something.

Thanks Benedikt - you're right it'll be fine on the ceiling. I just need to take 'careful' shots for the RFI!

More later if this heat doesn't get me...

• Like 5

Coming along nicely Ced.

I remember her being a tail sitter, so the access ladder comes in handy. but as yours will be "air borne so to speak" that is no problem.

It is great to se a kit of this age being done, it does take me back to my yoof.

Simon.

• Like 1

Curious - what does "hot" mean north of Hadrian's Wall?

Usually anything above 15C constitutes "taps aff" weather. Conversely, ever since I moved to the southwest I keep seeing people wearing coats when it's above 15C. And my insistence of wearing t-shirts in any weather above 3-4C baffles the southern softies. :lol:

• Like 4

Heat lalalala. Hot here today Ced. 32,5° C but dry today. The whole house including me did the washing today The garden is full of clothes horse like pearls on a pearl necklase. Tomorrow and Thursday up to 36°C and or but humid. So a good chance for a new video of heavy thunderstorms here on Friday. Keep on going . Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Thanks Simon. I had to 'google' your second post and realised it's a Spoonerism :whistle: Naughty. I found it in the story of Rindercella, rude but fun, here.

Thanks Oddball - I do have my top off as it happens and, if you're not careful, I'll post a 'photo!

Benedikt you are a hero - I couldn't bare that heat, but I'd enjoy the storms.

Too hot. I had done this earlier:

27796415633_d961826341_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

and was pleased with the join at the front:

28412372345_8b56bbf70f_z.jpg

but I've just checked it after an hour or so and there's a step all along the back. I find it impossible to fill/sand this sort of problem so I've carefully cut it open again and will use Deb's 'strips inside the fuselage' technique after cutting off the locating pins and, hopefully, get a flat join.

When it cools off...

• Like 7

Hello Ced. Not a hero at all! Just take it as it comes, but this frightened me. It was the first time that I packed my neccessary things, if something would happen. This came at 10.00 pm to Münster at that day. For two hours and it was really vicious and extreme heavy. It's not the one that drowned the whole city four weeks later, but that's another story. Cheers :

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 5

Hot, hot, hot here in Spain also, 31C at lunchtime.

The main reason we're here is to celebrate my brother in law's 70th birthday on Saturday, so we went out this morning to buy Cava for the party and had to sample three bottles this afternoon, in between falling In the pool. It's a tough job but somebody has to do it.

The Liberator's coming along really well by the way.

John

• Like 6

Benedikt you are a hero - I couldn't bare that heat, but I'd enjoy the storms.

Too hot.

Likewise Ced. This heat, this damned heat, when will it end....(two days is quite enough, thank you very much!) Where are those promised 'potentially severe thunderstorms....'

Benedikt - abolutely FANTASTIC video!! I really enjoyed that, thanks for posting!

Best storms I've ever seen were the almost daily ones in Florida, which often seemed to co-incide with the closing time fireworks at Disney World. Almost as if Mother Nature wished to remind us who's boss...!!

Keith

• Like 4

The Waterboys! I saw them in a concert where they supported U2 in around 1984. I think it was at a venue in Nottingham. They were very good indeed. Hard to believe it's 32 years ago :o!

I'm with Jamie on the 'old kits' thing. Sometimes I get very stuck with modern kits. Last night I spent 3 hours on a 5mm wide water cooler outlet vent :mental: . This morning I looked at it and decided it's no good. At times like that I have my 'worry kits' to help me in my 'Drawer of Doom'. These are 'comforters' a bit like Linus' 'worry blanket' in Charlie Brown.

There is a Frog Fairey Firefly, a Heller P-40 Kittyhawk and a Matchbox Mosquito. I just do a bit of work on one of them when modern kits are driving me potty and it reminds me of the 'fun' aspect of modelling again :)

I'd strongly recommend a little supply of 'worry kits' to fellow muddlers. They'll put a smile back on your face and take the furrowed brow away. Use a hairy stick and enamels too, that really boosts the spirits :D

I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with the 'step' Ced. Around 15 years ago I built the Airfix Stirling (in a week!) as a present to my dad. His dad had been a radio operator in one. I won't digress (too much), but it was a lovely kit to build apart from a 'step' in the lower fuselage. Exactly the same happened with the next big Airfix I built; the Halifax, which again I enjoyed (apart from the terrible canopy - and I didn't know about the Sauadron replacements :( ), but again, a 'step' in the bottom (sounds painful).

In both cases I resorted to masses of filler (nothing much has changed there in my modelling approach has it...) and sanding. Because the kits have raised detail, it was all lost :S. The Matt black undersides sort of hides it a bit, but it's still a shame.

I have an Airfix Halibag, and B-25 I intend to build OOB so I'll be very interested to see this technique and see if the sanding and filling can be lessened! :)

Glad the wings idea sounds ok, I hope it works out :)

Best regards

Tony

PS: Regarding temperature; it's absolutely true that people in and from Queensland put coats and sweaters on when it drops below 25 degrees C. I wear a T shirt and shorts nearly all year round. I also pray for rain regularly and seem to have taken to modelling snow dioramas in a wistful, longing fashion :D

TT

• Like 4