Airfix Auster AOP6

Here is the lovely little Auster AOP6/T7 Antarctic model which I built for a club charity event

P1100269.jpg

I always thought the roof bulge spoilt a dainty little model and it seems quite a few others agreed

With the charity build out of the way I decided to rebuild it 'righter'

As you see the paintwork caught a heavy cold when the matt coat went on so not much doubt it was already past its sell-by (oops, give-away) date

So I rebuilt her and here she is a little better 'loved', hope you like her

P1110142.jpg

P1110144.jpg

P1110151.jpg

P1110147.jpg

P1110141.jpg

P1110139.jpg

P1110138.jpg

There has been a long, meandering W I P over 'there' at http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001627-auster-aop6-ended-at-long-last/

I hope you like this tribute to a very elderly Airfix Model, I remember picking this down off the rack in its plastic bag with a paper header back when I was still a schoolkid

Lovely lurid yellow plastic too, signs of the good old days of Airfix, I wish they'd decide to do this one again in their 'Redo from start' passion for modernising their old designs

Some chance :(

• Like 25

Great to see older kits brought back to life, especially when as lovingly restored as this :)

I know exactly what you mean about lifting those bags down, and later the blister packs. I'm thinking of getting an Airfix Westland Scout, for the very same nostalgic reasons...

An evocative piece of work, delighted to have seen this!

Tony

Cracking job Bill, particularly like the cockpit detail through the canopy. Look forward to seeing it in the plastic. Oh yeah I loved the plastic bagged kits of old too. First build was the Tiger Moth (plastic bag full of lurid yellow plastic) purchased from the my local newsagents on a Sunday morning while accompanying my dad fetching the Sunday papers...ah such wonderful memories.

Thanks guys, I think these old kits get short shrift sometimes

There's usually a decent model in there with care taken

Tommo, if you were round Moseley back then we could even have bought our little bagged kits in some of the same shops

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nice one Bill, really neat restoration!

Does the Antartic kit come with the wheeled undercarriage? This is one of the very few Airfix kits I didn't build as a kid, but I do have a boxed example hiding somewhere amongst a few hundred other boxes, but I honestly can't ever remember opening it to even just look at..!!

keith

That really is the D's B's. Fantastic update on an old kit. I'm a big fan of these oldies and have so far updated the Hannover and Roland, with the RE8 on the bench.

19p each when I started buying these old baggies!

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks

The way I see it we are unlikely to get re-shots at some of these old familiar ones

They are usually cheap as chips (til the entrepreneurs get their mitts on 'em) :(

And there really is a scale replica inside them

It's a kind of hobby within a hobby

And it's me to a tee

• Like 2

You get wheels, skis (ish) and floats Keith

Go on, go on, you know you want to...

Thanks Bill - one day I'll have at it! I need to find it first though!

Apols too, I missed your link to your build thread yesterday (& again managed to completely miss it when it was 'live'!), so I've been off for a read this morning!

Keith

Nice little build of a nice little plane.

When I was in the Royal Observer Corps we were sometimes asked to marshal at air races, we then went back to the club house for a bite to eat and a flight. I just missed out on a modern Mooney but the next chap to ask had a 1930's Auster, I went with him and as we came into land he had to miss a ribbon set to a height and land on a white line on the grass strip, he landed bang on the line as we were enveloped in a snow flurry and a strong cross wind, he brought that little Auster in sideways until the last second. He won with that landing and I had one hell of a flight, never forgoton it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Perdu:

I have missed your build and have got it today while watching another build and right as it appeared, got here as was very curious about the build.

In 1981, I bought one and started the build, this was a Card backed blister that was sold here for less than US$0.50 and after cleaning the parts and dry asembled the fuselage to check the fit and was going to take attention to the wings, another modeling pal asked me to exchange the kit as was one of the missing Airfix kits to complete his collection, his offer was good and so, I did.

Many years after, in 2004, right when she was rereleased before the Hornby takeover, I bought with the eyes closed one to try again after the first failed build, but thinking that the kit deserved a better handling and care stopped it after gluing the wings and fuselage, and also began to look for info in the web and also got some nice plans and detail material that thought in build all the models before the AOP 9, and While, in the meantime since that unfinished adventure, got "sick" buying the kit every time the local Hobby Shop Owner wanted to restock, so that way made a nice collection of unbuilt boxes with the nice yellow painte bird. It was a cheaper kit that really liked me a huge lot. Also got some in a lot of lightplanes a guy in Ebay was selling t have no less than seven.

Watching as there is not a frequently appering kit or model, have to say that the way you have reworked her its nice and wonderful, the results are at sight and really make me think about a Resurrection of a partially build that was started many many years ago but was not continued as thought the kit deserved a nice threatment as you did here. Soon wil look your WIP to get the ideas you put into practice to try my hand replicating the nioce details you added to your build and will be happy to get a 60% wonderful look of yours here!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers from Guatemala,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Took this to Sutton Coldfield Modellers show today and was awarded First in 1/72 scale aircraft

Which was nice

:thumbsup:

Thank you to Sutton Coldfield Modellers for great show again, one of the nicer shows around

Good to meet up with our friend Radleigh too, hope you got some fine photographs Radders

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

Took this to Sutton Coldfield Modellers show today and was awarded First in 1/72 scale aircraft

Nice one Bill. Thoroughly well deserved.

All the more reason to get another aircraft on the go.

It can even be a wobblychopter :)

Ok - sounding like a stuck record - I know......

She looks fantastic Bill, :goodjob:

Interesting to see the before and after images, and what an amazing 're-birth'. I too remember this model in a plastic bag, but IIRC 15p!

I hope mine looks as good when completed!

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1