Evening all,

I've just finished building this as a mojo-mender as with a few long term projects on the go, I'd become bogged down and in need of something that went together without problems - this 1/32nd scale twin-stick MiG-29UB proved to be just the medicine. I picked this up at Telford for £25 which proved to be very good value for money.

It's quite simple kit but in truth that's why I chose it - the cockpit lacks detail and the undercarriage bays are very basic, but the overall fit and construction is excellent and I encountered no construction issues at all.

I used the decals from the box, which represent a MiG-29UB of 120 IAP based at Domna, Siberia, in the summer of 2003. Revell's colour guidance could only be interpreted by someone with a masters degree in colour mixing, so instead I just used pictures on the net for guidance, using mainly US equivalents from Xtracolour to get a close-enough match to the real thing. Other than that, it's as it comes in the box.

Mikoyan MiG-29UB, Domna Air Base, Siberia, 2003.

27693572973_3ab4422af1_c.jpg

28205343512_99d91f570b_c.jpg

Jet pipe detail isn't too bad at all:

27693059514_b38f5efab7_c.jpg

Cockpit detail is pretty basic but some Airscale placards and dial decals and a belt set from Eduard means it's passable when peering through the canopy:

28230700971_4fd3a8128c_c.jpg

28027781390_351dbea20d_c.jpg

The overall quality of the surface detail is excellent in my opinion:

27693569673_85dbdc132e_c.jpg

27693047874_22384e6506_c.jpg

28230697271_5cea86ef5c_c.jpg

Wheel bays are basic but when sitting on its undercarriage very little is visible anyway:

27693054044_aee5a3a6bb_c.jpg

27693056214_339beb65f6_c.jpg

If you're thinking about a good value, large scale modern-era jet fighter, then I'd recommend this kit wholeheartedly...

Tom

• Like 38

Love Russian stuff as you know, but I love the UB MiG-29 more than the single seaters.. nice build Tom :)

I'm doing exactly the same too but in smaller scale, building the Special Hobby Mirage F.1B as I'm well and truly bogged down with Mach2 & Vacs..

• Like 1

Takes me back - that kit was my first RFI post on here. Think I did the same scheme, but also attempted to do Revell's suggested paint mixes, not keen to repeat that!

Completely agree with you about this one being good for the mojo - good job!

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Beautiful job, how did you get that canopy so clear, that's really impressive!

Fantastic work,

Eng

The canopy just had a bit of a polish with a glasses cloth and nothing more - it's quite thick but beautifully moulded.

I must say, for just being a basic kit, you sure made it look very nice. I especially like the afterburner cans and the paint scheme is spot on. I have a 1/48 GWH Mig-29 on the bench and there's nothing basic about it. I sometimes miss the simple ones..lol

GREAT JOB!!

Dave

This is a good one, the finish is extremely meet and smooth the clarity of the cockpit is first class, got any more like that?