Disappointed in Mobius

I'm in the process of building the Mobius Viper Mark VII. Nice kit, except for the fact that the canopy was very fogged and unusable. I contacted their customer service through E-mail and was told a new canopy would cost me 2.95. Well, I paid it, but in my opinion that's pretty poor customer service seeing that it was their mistake. Just putting this out there. Ive heard of other model companies replacing damaged parts at no cost. This defiantly makes me think twice about any future Mobius purchases.

Any thoughts?

Fine molds and Revell of Germany replaced parts FoC for me. Revell did ask me for the kit box number stamped on the inside of the box the kit came in.

I think this is terrible service tbh and I think you're right in naming and shaming them.

I'm disappointed with them for not putting the bsg raptor into production yet. It is now almost 2 years late !

• Like 2

You should really take it back to the shop where you bought it. That's the first port of call if you find yourself with a faulty product...

best,

M.

It was mail ordered a year or so ago from Amazon or Ebay, cant remember. Its been in the stash for a while.

Fine molds and Revell of Germany replaced parts FoC for me. Revell did ask me for the kit box number stamped on the inside of the box the kit came in.

I think this is terrible service tbh and I think you're right in naming and shaming them.

I'm disappointed with them for not putting the bsg raptor into production yet. It is now almost 2 years late !

Agree, wish they were more like Revell and FM.

If you've had the kit for over a year without checking it, then I personally think that's a bit harsh on Mobius - who's to say that it hasn't gone dodgy since then? Was £2.95 the cost of the part with postage added on top?

Nick

Edit: Have you tried dipping the fogged canopy in Klear?

• Like 1

How many kits do we buy and not really check the contents, yes I have a look inside the box but don't tend to open the bags in case I want to sell it on later.

Nick, you say it may have gone dodgy since it was purchased, well that's even worse isn't it, he could have built the kit straight away and found this happened later with the canopy fixed to the model

Possibly, and this is no reflection on Jake, but you could argue how it was stored either before or after purchase.

I agree with Matt Bacon that it should go back to the vendor but as stated, that's clearly(!) not possible. If the £2.95 was to just cover postage and the part was free, then I don't really think that's too bad service-wise but that's just my opinion - at least Jake was able to get the part which is better service than from some companies.

Just my tuppence worth . . .

• Like 2

£2.95 is barely the price of a fancy coffee these days, so I don't really see much cause for gnashing of teeth. There's so much that is more ire worthy in this world tbh :shrug:

• Like 3

"£2.95 is barely the price of a fancy coffee these days, " and a very good point, very well presented indeed Proud dad. I had a couple of canopy issues when their wonderful Viper MKII first arrived on these shores, Moebius where very quick and friendly to respond and have been wonderful folks to deal with in my experience.

I think I paid around only about six whole beer tokens for my two new shinny crystal clear new ones to be flown across the pond to me, and that did not bother me at all, and was very pleased indeed actually, after all, who else makes wonderful and affordable high quality plastic BSG kits ? ( and please don't say revell everyone? He,he.)

The MK VII, canopy is the least of the problems on that kit though. The nonexistent office in question. You need a full PE detail set, a must, on this one, plus various lights, things and various stuff, all costing more than a very humble £2.95 to do this baby justice. But all very well worth it in the end. Or just have a coffee?

Cheers

• Like 2

"£2.95 is barely the price of a fancy coffee these days, " and a very good point, very well presented indeed Proud dad. I had a couple of canopy issues when their wonderful Viper MKII first arrived on these shores, Moebius where very quick and friendly to respond and have been wonderful folks to deal with in my experience.

I think I paid around only about six whole beer tokens for my two new shinny crystal clear new ones to be flown across the pond to me, and that did not bother me at all, and was very pleased indeed actually, after all, who else makes wonderful and affordable high quality plastic BSG kits ? ( and please don't say revell everyone? He,he.)

The MK VII, canopy is the least of the problems on that kit though. The nonexistent office in question. You need a full PE detail set, a must, on this one, plus various lights, things and various stuff, all costing more than a very humble £2.95 to do this baby justice. But all very well worth it in the end. Or just have a coffee?

Cheers

So how long have you been working for Moebius? LOL

Seriously though I think it's about the principal of the thing, namely an item that isn't fit for purpose, I think it is that which irks the OP. Not everyone has a lot of spare cash to throw around these days and that £2:95 coffee might equate as 2-3 weeks pocket money for a young boy.

As for purchasing upgrades for the "office" that was a personal choice made you. You could have scratch built your own enhancements.

I realise that principles are a dreadfully old fashioned concept these days, but I have been referred to as a senile alcoholic by one board member here so that might be explain it

• Like 1

Trouble is, it's over a year ago, so Jake is skating on thin ice in warm skates with regard to customer service doing him a freebie. I think if I were in his place, a couple of quid would seem fair to me, and I'd just be glad to be able to get on with building the kit. If he'd only just bought it, I'd be right behind him :)

I know we all have different perspectives, and that's mine. I'd much rather have a complete model than an incomplete one with a cup of coffee. both would be nice, but you have to be real-lipstick. :)

• Like 1

If you've had the kit for over a year without checking it, then I personally think that's a bit harsh on Mobius - who's to say that it hasn't gone dodgy since then? Was £2.95 the cost of the part with postage added on top?

Nick

Edit: Have you tried dipping the fogged canopy in Klear?

It was 2.95 total. I did try some 3M polishing cream and I believe the fogging is inside the plastic, not the surface where buff-able.

Trouble is, it's over a year ago, so Jake is skating on thin ice in warm skates with regard to customer service doing him a freebie. I think if I were in his place, a couple of quid would seem fair to me, and I'd just be glad to be able to get on with building the kit. If he'd only just bought it, I'd be right behind him :)

I know we all have different perspectives, and that's mine. I'd much rather have a complete model than an incomplete one with a cup of coffee. both would be nice, but you have to be real-lipstick. :)

In the end of it all I agree.

So how long have you been working for Moebius? LOL

Seriously though I think it's about the principal of the thing, namely an item that isn't fit for purpose, I think it is that which irks the OP. Not everyone has a lot of spare cash to throw around these days and that £2:95 coffee might equate as 2-3 weeks pocket money for a young boy.

As for purchasing upgrades for the "office" that was a personal choice made you. You could have scratch built your own enhancements.

I realise that principles are a dreadfully old fashioned concept these days, but I have been referred to as a senile alcoholic by one board member here so that might be explain it

PM you hit the nail on the head buddy! LOL. Thanks for getting it!

Only GBP2.95?

Damn - I was missing the clear parts for my Moebius Cylon Raider (shrink wrapped, from the LHS)... So I too contacted Moebius (email, email, email, phone, phone, etc) and was eventually told something like US$15 (most of which was postage) to get them to me in Australia! Needless to say, Moebius copped a bit of a spray from me about that; never bought another of their kits since and can't say enough bad stuff about their customer service to anyone who will listen.

I eventually made my own clear parts for it, but the kit has just languished since then (primed, ready for paint) on the shelf of doom - a good 3-4 years - primarily due to the customer service experience! I don't want anyone seeing my nicely finished Cylon Raider and thinking "Hell yeah!!! I want one of them!" and giving their money to Moebius!

On the otherhand, I can not speak Highly enough of Eduard, Kinetic and Verlinden, who have all responded posthaste to contact and been epically helpful (Eduard - Single Seat Canopy for a Dual Seat 1/144 Me262B; Kinetic - Kfir C2/C7 plastic in the F-21A box (that confused the hell out of me for a while!!!); Verlinden was air bubbles through Slats on the Me 262 Slats/Flaps set).

Dan

• 6 months later...

I guess when MOBEUS does a kit that nobody else does it raises a kind of arrogance, then again, they probably have it all made in China, so they have no access to parts anyway. Interesting their attitude since they go out of their way to do unusual subjects. 

I make it a point to open and check the contents of a kit when I get it- a couple of times I have found a defective or missing part. Even with online purchases it is easy to get things fixed the day after delivery.

Most mass produced kits are from China, which often has lousy quality control. Both Round2 and Moebius have had a lot of problems with decals as well, probably due to rushed production and a factory that just focuses on volume shipped.