Aircraft canvas cockpit covers.

Bear Paw

Does anyone know anything about canvas cockpit covers on aircraft on the ground? I have not seen any contemporary photos of such things but it does make sense that they must have been used. Whilst aircraft were parked on the ground in all kinds of weather I presume covers were used?

I would be interested to know if any one could help.

Can't say I have ever seen a photo featuring canvas covers. I would have thought that, with the fragile nature of WWI era aircraft altogether they would have been kept in the hangars at all times when the weather wasn't 'flying weather'.

• Like 1

What gave me the idea was seeing the Hawker bi planes at the Flying Legends air show at Duxford last Sunday. When the rain started out came the canvas covers tied around the fuselages.

I presume this is something that has been handed down through time?

I think that the interwar aircraft are not quite as at risk from weather as the WWI period aircraft. Plus I think that most WWI aircraft were light enough and easy to handle that it was quicker and better to get them into the hangars rather than try to get tarpaulins on and off of them.

• Like 1

Yes that does make sense but did all front line WWI aerodromes have hangers? I presume they must have otherwise as you say the weather would damage them.

From what I know and admittedly I am no expert, despite what was going on in the trenches and the terrible conditions throughout the front the aerodromes were reasonably well appointed and would have had decent accomodation for both men and machines. Unlike WWII the front was relatively stable meaning that aerodromes could be sighted many miles behind the front without fear of being overrun or having to upsticks and move forwards and were in use throughout the whole war. They were even relatively safe from enemy bombing.

• Like 1

Well that would make sense then. I have to admit the few photographs I have seen of WWI aerodromes they do seem to be equipped with buildings, some better than others but buildings non the less.

I have to say that any connection between my question and me disliking detailing 1/72 WWI cockpits is purely coincidental. 😏

Ahhh I wouldn't go near a 1/72 scale WWI aircraft cockpit these days. My weakening eyesight and large paws would make it nigh on impossible. I have recently switched from 1/48 to Wingnut Wings and Roden !/32. Boy the Wingnut kits are in another league even to Eduards excellent 1/48 scale kits.

• Like 1

I have several years worth of 'Cross & Cockade' periodical magazines.

Never have I noticed any cockpit covers being used.

In WW1 memoirs its often said that the aeroplanes received hangars before the men got even basic tents - often even officers having to sleep under the wings of their aeroplanes in the hangar before tents arrived for them.

• Like 1

Ha! I know what you Beardie. I am working on the sublime and the ridiculous, that is this- http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3043

and this

https://goo.gl/images/ohYLGQ

Yes the more I think about it Black Knight leaving canvas and wood constructions out in the wind and the rain is asking for trouble.

Ah the Pfalz XII I have still to get myself a copy of that one. I have a WnW Pfalz D.III arriving Monday and five WnW kits plus three Roden on the shelves waiting for me to finish battling with the Academy 1/32 Camel. In the last two years I built around thirty of Eduards kits but the lack of an FE2b, Sopwith Pup, Rumpler, SE5a, DH9, DFW (Not counting Blue Maxs very challenging kits and the excellent but requiring skill Aeroclub kits) has finally led me to swap to Wingnut Wings with Roden and Special Hobby filling the gaps.

I just have to secure copies of the other 47 kits from WnW and I will be a happy bunny :mental::winkgrin:

The last 1/72 kit I tried was the Pegasus Martinsyde Elephant and I gave up on it not long after zipping up the fuselage. Just too teensy weensy for me.

• Like 1

That sounds like an extensive collection! I have the WnW underway and the Albatros D.Va (OAW) waiting. I am still doing battling with the Pegasus Albatros and building the 1/72 scale Roden Albatros DIII. alongside it.

I think getting a Pegasus kits fuselage together is quite a feat in itself - they are not very precise!

I have finally completed the bagged version of the old 1/72 Airfix DH 4. which went together very well, and surprised me how big it is! CB0CEBEC-AEBD-44AE-849D-160524C4DC50_zps

By far i know, during the WWI where in large use a lot of simple and ecomic fabric and timber hangar like the Bessonneau type ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessonneau_hangar) .

The aerodrome of the period where a simple levelled grass strip of 300 x 20 m ( 1000 x 60 feet more or less ) and the hangar of that type are very simple to assemble.

Years ago, not far from my home, a famous italian builder of WWI replicas acquired a Bessonneau hangar ( http://www.jonathanaereistorici.it/component/k2/item/35-hangar-bessoneau-tipo-h.html) and we assembled it in two days with a party of five people and non drawings or instruction !

Never see pictures, or read memories, with some kind of canvass over the aircrafts.

r.

• Like 1

Thank you R. I did not know these hangers had a name. I have seen them in photos but did not know they were very large tents. I will take it as a no to the canvas cockpit cover then