QANTAS B737-838 VH-VXQ **FINISHED**

My first build will be a Revell B737-800

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_01_zpsyi9xhcle.jpg

It is the original release without winglets but its not an issue as I have the Contrails replacement wing (with winglets) and a set of replacement engines.

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_02_zpsnhdrdlay.jpg

I also have a set of Braz winglets, just in case.

On to the decals, I will be using the Hawkeye sheet for Retro Roo II

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_03_zpsilgbeif1.jpg

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_04_zpsmc16gf82.jpg

• Like 8

Good choice Ray, just got those decals myself at Expo, plan on putting them on a mostly built kit, which won't be suitable for this GB.

I also have one of those Contrails wings, but still haven't managed to clean up the slat on one side that was poorly moulded, also correct the Winglet, they are too wide at the top.

Lovely scheme. Are the Hawkeye decals laser printed?

Yes they are Jeff, the whites are screen printed on continuous film though.

Good choice Ray, just got those decals myself at Expo, plan on putting them on a mostly built kit, which won't be suitable for this GB.

I also have one of those Contrails wings, but still haven't managed to clean up the slat on one side that was poorly moulded, also correct the Winglet, they are too wide at the top.

My wing looks OK from first inspection, I will be cleaning it up when I start. I hope to mount the model in a taking off. If the wing is crap then I will go to plan B and shorten the gear and sit it on its wheels using the kit wings.

A little error on these (early print) instructions is that the black nose tip is missing. I had Peter correct this on later printings, so don't forget that!

Scott.

I have the reprinted page for that Scotty, and I assume the 2014 date has been changed to 2016 as well :D

After some hot and cold water applied the wings look a lot better

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_07_zpssqaqrnns.jpg

I started to clean up the so called B737NG Contrails engines and gave up on them. They look identical in shape to the kit engines and look like blobs of resin, So I might mod the kit engines instead

• Like 3

Nothing like a little warped resin to keep things interesting!

I have a Tupperware meal plate that I use to fix warped wings. Just fill a cup of water and microwave it for 3:00, lay the wing in the tray and pour the heated water over it. The water is very hot so I use one of the wife's cake spatulas to pick up the wing after it has soaked for a few seconds. Then you just grin and bear the hot water droplets as you bend the wing into shape, great fun.

Ryan

• Like 3

I'm not sure which is which. Are they 2 separate versions (ie: kit v Contrails) or are they both Contrails?

Mind you - not that I would have any clue what so ever about which one is the "correct" shape. I can tell the difference in the pictures but I couldn't tell you which one looks more like the real thing sorry

Anyway, it's looking good so far. I like the fact it'll be in flight! (my favorite pose)

Nice try Si :D

Looks like you got (2) of the same wing.....instead of one side each.

Plus contour is off on one.

Bingo, got 2 LH winglets.

So I broke out one of the Braz winglets and started reshaping it and extending the Contrails one...

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_14_zpsn8tidrzd.jpg

I also started some puttying

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_13_zpswau6qeow.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Been filling and sanding the fuselage seams for most of the night. Pretty happy with them

Also installed the winglets

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_15_zpsuvllg7hw.jpg

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_16_zps9q8exlii.jpg

Glued the wing the fuselage after a lot of test fitting

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_17_zpspd2pezxh.jpg

Only to have the superglue grab and dry very before I could get the forward section in place. Now I have a large gap I need to fill.

144_Rev_B738_%20QF_18_zpsyw5xve1n.jpg

Yep, superglue never sets fast enough when you want to, just when you don't want it to. It must be one of Murphy's other laws!

I have heard the acetone trick so I may try it. I am weary that it will try and eat the plastic around it. Will do some tests on the weekend

• Like 1