Thanks guys.

Yeah the paint turned out ok in the end but i was having some strange dramas with the mig ammo acrylics... They didnt like being sprayed too 'wet', like when you've built up the colour and you want a nice smooth satin finish on your last pass. The paint would pull away from itself and make 'fish eyes', sort of a reverse beading kinda thing. Sorted it though by spraying the paint very 'dry' by increasing the distance and pressure. The varnishes smoothed it all out in the end 👍🏻

Not had this with other acrylics as I have been able to 'pool' them as much as I like during testing on scrap to see if I could get a similar reaction. (Not that you want that flooded surface look on your finished kits...)

Anyway She sold for £72 on ebay last night. So very happy with that.

Reference the addiction- Stay tuned for an epic saga soon...

I was completing this build just as I joined the forum and concurrent to my 1/48 g6/mk16 pair so never did a WIP for this build.So here are a few pics from when it was 'in progress'

cheers.

PS when i masked the tailfins for the black paint I used the new tamiya tape for curves (the white stuff) Really really good product, one of my new most favorite things I cant live without and wish i had sooner (along with stynylrez primer)

IMG_4935.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg

IMG_5046.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5044.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5126.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

• Like 5

Wow. Stunning build... very brave of you to apply the decals before assembly- my hamfisted approach would destroy them long before the finish line.. :)

Excellent work!

cheers, Dave

Thanks dave, but it was only the wings, undercarriage and weapons etc really. Can't imagine trying to decal the missiles and drop tanks whilst glued to the plane. Sounds like more effort...

Or is it? Is that what you would have done? Perhaps I have been making unnecessary work for myself as only been doing planes for a couple years... ?!?!?

• 2 years later...

Hi Tony,

I stumbled on this post in the intro of your Work in Progress mega post of the 10 Hobbyboss Tomcats. Great post and even greater planes, simply stunning!

I see you started your Tomcat obsession with a Revell kit. I myself bought a Tomcat kit by Revell, although a different version, the F-14D Super Tomcat (Revell#03960). I was hoping you could give me some advice on the wings. In your post it looks like you already painted the wings before attaching them to the already glued and painted fuselage. Is this correct? I know the wings must not be glued, but can the wings “simply” be clicked in?

The second thing I hope you could give me some advice on is regarding the little retractable flaps (I don’t know any other word to describe them) at the beginning of the wings.

spacer.png

https://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/f14/ (see F-14 in flight with the flaps out)

As is seen in the instructions there is a little pin (see point of knive) that prevents it being clicked in afterwards like the wings. It looks a real hassle to get this nicely painted. I’m strongly contemplating just gluing the part. How did you deal with this part during your build? I don’t to see it on your Revell model so maybe it’s only on the F-14D and you never had to deal with it?

Cheers, Gommert  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DutchXActo said:

As is seen in the instructions there is a little pin (see point of knive) that prevents it being clicked in afterwards like the wings. It looks a real hassle to get this nicely painted. I’m strongly contemplating just gluing the part. How did you deal with this part during your build? I don’t to see it on your Revell model so maybe it’s only on the F-14D and you never had to deal with it?

Cheers, Gommert  

I can't offer advice about putting the wings in later, but you can definitely just glue the glove vane (winglets) in. In real life they were soon wired shut, so you can see the outline flush against the wing glove leading edge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DutchXActo said:

I don’t to see it on your Revell model so maybe it’s only on the F-14D and you never had to deal with it?

Hello mate, thanks for the love. 

This kit is the revell D, I just changed a few details (some incorrectly now with hindsight) and used different decals to make it a ‘B’. 

As @Parabat says, those vanes weren’t used on the D. So glue them shut from the start. 

A brief history from what I know - vanes were there on the A but for several reasons after a while they chose to not use them anymore so were wired shut. As planes went through servicing depot the panel lines would have been puttied & painted over. This definitely happened on any A’s that were rebuilt into D’s. 

Also the new build D’s (and possibly the A plus’ as they were first called) never had any vanes when built to begin with. 

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Hello mate, thanks for the love. 

This kit is the revell D, I just changed a few details (some incorrectly now with hindsight) and used different decals to make it a ‘B’. 

My bad, I read the title of the post and went straight to the pictures, missed the part being it the D kit.

Thanks about the information about the vanes! Makes the build a little easier 🙂

And my question about the build order of the wings? Any advice on the building/paint sequence?

2 hours ago, DutchXActo said:

And my question about the build order of the wings? Any advice on the building/paint sequence?

Whatever is best for you mate. All the cats I have built so far I kept the wings and tailerons separate for ease of finishing. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Whatever is best for you mate. All the cats I have built so far I kept the wings and tailerons separate for ease of finishing. 

I was just wondering if it was possible to attach the wings afterwards and get the gears to interlock with each other and work. Painting the wings separately seems the way to go. Thanks!

1 hour ago, DutchXActo said:

I was just wondering if it was possible to attach the wings afterwards and get the gears to interlock with each other and work. Painting the wings separately seems the way to go. Thanks!

Yes, because you can see from the photos of during the build (post #11) that is how I did this one?!?