Tempest stencil decals for 1/32 kit

Chris Thomas

I've not had chance to view the new Special Hobby kit in real life but noted from the net that the kit decal instructions (and Xtradecal's) show the stencilling and arrows on the knock-out panel on the starboard side of the cockpit on wartime Mk Vs.

This marking seems to have appeared on post-war Mk IIs, VIs and TT.5s, and then not until around 1948. I've never seen this stencil on a Mk V (other than TT.5) but would be interested to hear if anyone else has seen now so-marked.

CT

Not particularly helpful, but I have literally just started one of the Special Hobby kits and was wondering about those markings. I haven't seen or noticed them in pictures of wartime Mk Vs and if you of all people haven't either, it confirms my suspicions. I'll not be applying them!

Cheers

Steve

With regards Xtradecals sheet I was surprised to see the wartime example having the invasion stripes still on the wing surfaces when the fuselage ones have been reduced. I was always under the impression that the wing stripes were removed totally and the fuselage ones only remaining as indicated across the board as per a directive. I wonder if they have photographic evidence of the combination they show?

Mick.

With regards Xtradecals sheet I was surprised to see the wartime example having the invasion stripes still on the wing surfaces when the fuselage ones have been reduced. I was always under the impression that the wing stripes were removed totally and the fuselage ones only remaining as indicated across the board as per a directive. I wonder if they have photographic evidence of the combination they show?

Mick.

I've just had a look at the Xtradecal sheets again an see what you mean! Not only do they indicate upper and lower wing stripes on JJ-N EJ783 ( marked, incorrectly, as EJ738 on the drawings) but provide a plan view captioned EDM SN228 (which seems absent from the sheet). Neither of these Tempests had upper or lower wing stripes. Disappointing.

Incidentally, there was a period when the fuselage stripes were reduced and lower wing stripes were retained, namely early June 44 to early Sept 44. However I have not found any photos of Tempest marked in this way, probably because the anti-Diver Tempests had all their stripes removed as they were drag-inducing and by the time they ops over the Continent began stripes under the fuselage were all that were required.

CT

• Like 1

I have got the SH kit. There are a multitude of parts not related to the Mk. V. They are mainly intended for the forthcoming Mk. II. Perhaps that is the reason for the extra stencil decals?

Stein

Maybe they are for the mk II and VI but they are also there on the mk V decal placement diagrams. In red. When they were applied to camouflaged Tempests (c.1948) they were marked in yellow. The stencils were applied in red on Aluminium-painted Tempests.

Chris

I've just had a look at the Xtradecal sheets again an see what you mean! Not only do they indicate upper and lower wing stripes on JJ-N EJ783 ( marked, incorrectly, as EJ738 on the drawings) but provide a plan view captioned EDM SN228 (which seems absent from the sheet). Neither of these Tempests had upper or lower wing stripes. Disappointing.

Incidentally, there was a period when the fuselage stripes were reduced and lower wing stripes were retained, namely early June 44 to early Sept 44. However I have not found any photos of Tempest marked in this way, probably because the anti-Diver Tempests had all their stripes removed as they were drag-inducing and by the time they ops over the Continent began stripes under the fuselage were all that were required.

CT

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Chris. Another case of them getting it wrong in a rush to cash in on the euphoria of the SH release.

Regards

Mick

I don't know about euphoria :)

I have built the cockpit/rear fuselage of mine and though fiddly it is very nice and has excellent fit. I have also built the wings (less impressed with the wheel well engineering, but they do go together) and have dry fitted the wing assembly to the fuselage. Again the fit is excellent, I'd even say tight, as good as any kit I've built in the last twenty years or so. So far it is a very nice kit indeed.

Cheers

Steve