1/24 Wave Tachikoma from Ghost In the Shell SAC 2nd GIG.

1/24 Wave Tachikoma from Ghost In the Shell SAC 2nd GIG.

Background: A Tachikoma is a fictional artificial intelligence, walker/roller in the Ghost in the Shell universe; appearing in the manga, created by Masamune Shirow, and the Stand Alone Complex sub-universe. Nine of them are assigned to Section 9's use originally. They are spider-like, multi-legged combat vehicles, equipped with artificial intelligence. The spider design appears in other places in Shirow's work, like the Appleseed manga. Shirow is noted to keep numerous spiders as pets.

Production I.G was unable to use the Fuchikoma design in the 2002 Stand Alone Complex anime TV series due to copyright conflicts. However, Masamune Shirow was able to design a legally safe equivalent to the spider-tanks for the new show, which he named the "Tachikoma". There are distinct differences in the design, most significantly in the 'eyes' and the vertically oriented abdomen. Still, the tanks are easily recognizable as descendants of the original Fuchikoma. Their AI 'personalities' and roles in the new series are indistinguishable from their predecessors in the manga.

Box and Sprue Shots:

DSCF3874.JPG

DSCF4307.JPG

DSCF4290.JPG

DSCF4292.JPG

DSCF4298.JPG

DSCF4299.JPG

DSCF4304.JPG

DSCF4305.JPG

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 2

Update One

Assembly is straightforward but some areas (especially the seams on the rear body) had seams to deal with.

These seams were filled with liquid styrene and then once cured sanded down.

DSCF4312.JPG

DSCF4313.JPG

Then everything was primed with Badger white Stynylrez and then were required, some pre-shading was added.

DSCF4341.JPG

I'm using MIG's new metal acrylic, warhead metallic blue A.MIG-196 for all the blue ares of the body and legs.

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
Update Two

Primary painting has been completed.

I've used MIG's new metal acrylic, warhead metallic blue A.MIG-196 for all the blue areas of the body and legs. AK xtreme metal aluminium for the metal areas and Tamiya X-2 gloss white.

This was all sealed with alclad aqua gloss.

DSCF4345.JPG

DSCF4347.JPG
  • Like 4

That's looking great. The metallic blue looks very nice. Did you undercoat for the blue, or just go strait on to the plastic?

Andy

Hi Andy,

As in update one, I primed in white, pre-shaded and then did the base colours. :)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE THREE

Progress has been on the slow side.

Both the Tachikoma and the figure have been completed.

I also went for a smaller base than originally planned.  The base was made from a small picture frame and some foam-board.  This was primed and the painted with various tamiya greys.  This was then weathered with grime clay wash, and various AK weathering products.

R1W8UF8.jpg

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 2