South African Airways 747-200 (WIP 1)

This should be interesting.

I was thinking about the current crop of superb builds that have been exhibited here lately, and how we see very few airliners compared to other subjects.

However, not only have there been a dozen or so excellent airliner models posted lately, but three including this one all in the SAA livery. Tis a funny old world.

Chris.

• Like 1

I remember flying to Joburg from UK in the early 1980s on an SAA 747. As I recall it was an extended range version (SP?), which allowed a non-stop flight (SAA not being granted refuelling facilities elsewhere in Africa at that time). Would that be this version mitchem?

Cliff

• Like 1

I remember flying to Joburg from UK in the early 1980s on an SAA 747. As I recall it was an extended range version (SP?), which allowed a non-stop flight (SAA not being granted refuelling facilities elsewhere in Africa at that time). Would that be this version mitchem?

Cliff

The 747SP (Special Performance) was originally designed for Pan Am, to be operated on ultra-long routes such as New York to Tokyo. It has a shortened fuselage and extended tail. Very similar to this, however there are quite notable differences:

zs-spc-south-african-airways-boeing-747s

(Photo intended for informative purposes, I can remove it if it violates any rules)

As you can see the plane is very short and has a drastically different rear fuselage. Would probably make for a very interesting conversion, but I think mitchem is going for the 747-200. Sorry for switching into explain-alot-mode, I've got a bit of a thing (just a bit) for 747s...

• Like 2

...but three including this one all in the SAA livery. Tis a funny old world.

You're right Chris. Looks like planes in the SAA scheme are the new London buses. You don't see one for ages and then they all arrive at the same time.

As for it being a funny old world, we can all have an extra laugh watching me battle with this one at the same time : SAA DC-4 (WIP 2)

So Mike, are you doing any fixer-uppering with this build, or just slap on AM engines and decals?

Not sure if the old Revell -200 needs much work to bring it up to scratch.

Quick Ray ! Tell me what needs to be fixed up before I start cutting bits off the sprues. If it's too daunting, this could change from a WIP to a RIP in the blink of an eye ! :shutup:

....Would probably make for a very interesting conversion.....

No conversion needed Alexander. I'm embarrassed to admit to having a Welsh Models 747 SP (destined for the same colour scheme) hiding in the Loft of Doom.

I managed to get the fuselage buttoned up but after curtting the wings off their backing sheet, I lost the will to live. :weep:

You may like this then, taken by my dad. Shall be watching this as I love this scheme! :)

15076090782_2a70bef881_b.jpg

Thanks Radleigh. Your dad took some cracking shots around Johannesburg and this one is equally spectacular.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

mike

• Like 1

Quick Ray ! Tell me what needs to be fixed up before I start cutting bits off the sprues. If it's too daunting, this could change from a WIP to a RIP in the blink of an eye ! :shutup:

Well Mike it turns out that all you really need to do is replace the kit engines (in the P/W boxing) with Braz or Welsh equivalents to build a PW powered -200 and you are right to go.

Looks like you are on the right track with your approach!

I have the E-4 and Shuttle carrier boxings. Still undecided on my builds.

• Like 1

Thanks Ray - you had me worried for a minute.

So, it's out with the Milliput and time to fill the windows. I normally apply the Milliput to the inside and then press it out through the windows - I think it makes it easier to clean up (but I've been known to have been wrong before).

SA747d.jpg

and from the outside :

SA747e.jpg

I've filled in the cockpit windows - not because I wasn't 100% sure on the kit's shape, but because I lost the transparent parts.

On a positive note, I did buy some extra bits to jazz up my build, although my success with etched brass has always been "iffy" at the best of times.

SA747c.jpg

(I know the window decals are for a 747-400 but it shouldn't stop me from cutting them up to fit, and as for the brass, we'll just have to see how much of it I use).

mike

• Like 4

Wot, no clear flight deck....???!!!!

Are you going to rescribe it Mike? I purchased the 747/Shuttle carrier combo with 26 BA decals as a possible entry for Septembers Britcomp,but the thought of rescribing those acres of plastic killed my enthusiasm. So it'll have to wait for another day. I think I'll get some Braz RB211;s for it too, so I can do G-KILO 'British Trader' which was a 200...

Watching this with interest!

K

• Like 1

Wot, no clear flight deck....???!!!!

Are you going to rescribe it Mike? I purchased the 747/Shuttle carrier combo with 26 BA decals as a possible entry for Septembers Britcomp,but the thought of rescribing those acres of plastic killed my enthusiasm. So it'll have to wait for another day. I think I'll get some Braz RB211;s for it too, so I can do G-KILO 'British Trader' which was a 200...

Watching this with interest!

K

No clear flight dec on this one Keith :weep:

...and you're right about the scribing. The plastic is hard and slippery so I've scrubbed off the raised panel lines while I sanded the windows down. Then I stuck on one of the cockpit windscreen decals from 26decals as I've got the patience of a vampire in a blood bank !

SA747f.jpg

Looks like a 747 to me so I tried it out with a mask of the cockpit flash :

SA747g.jpg

Then I decided to change my mind about leaving the door windows unfilled (to be used as a guide for the cheatline), so I filled them in, sprayed some white primer on the fuselage and then gave it a quick rub down with some 800 grit sandpaper :

SA747h.jpg

Time to sit back and plan my next move.

mike

• Like 2

That cockpit window looks perfect as does the mask. In my humble opinion, you have chosen the right route over the transparent window one as the one in the photos are spot on. When complete, the SAA colours are really going to make this one 'pop'.

Great job there Mike :thumbsup:

Looks beautiful. Just to clarify - did you leave the windscreen decal and cockpit flash under the white primer? Why?

I have a feeling that it was a test, I don't think Mike's stuck the fuselage together properly yet - note the Tamiya tape & there's still quite a seam line there - & I can 100% say that he doesn't leave seam lines! (and note the AA flight deck windows in a follow up post!!)

Why'd you fill the door windows in Mike - leaving them was a plan I had in mind too - as it's an awful long way from front to back to get the cheatline straight without any datum to follow. I hope you have a different cunning plan that I can steal...!!

Keith

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...