Air pressure regulator/reducer for airbrush query

TallPaul

Hi, I have a small Machine Mart oil free compressor with a tank. Works just fine for pumping up the car tyres etc, I also want to use it for airbrushing but can't seem to get low pressure control. When I wind back the pressure regulator to say 10psi I still get what is obviously more than 10 psi out of the airbrush.

Can anyone with experience of these little Chinese compressors offer me some advice?

Should the regulator on the compressor work at AB type low pressures? Am I expecting to much from the regulator?

Do I need a flow restrictor, the regulator is on the machine, supply is stepped down via a filter/moisture separator to a 1/8 bsp hose to the AB?

Should I invest in another reducer/regulator if so which one?

Thanks in advance.

BTW I use a Neo and it works just fire with its little diaphragm compressor.

10 PSI should be the same irrespective of which pressure regulator that's being used. Without knowing the particular model, I'd say the Machine Mart one is unable to provide low pressure.

Although why anyone wants 10 PSI is beyond me! Surely a decent level of atomization isn't possible?

But the simplest solution would be to get an inline valve, such as an Iwata MAC valve. Set the compressor pressure to 40 PSI & then adjust the MAC valve to something you're more comfortable with.

Thanks Guys

The compressor is an AirMaster with a 24 Litre tank, runs up to 8 Bar. since my original post I have discovered that only one of the two outlets is fed by the reducer, the other is at system pressure. Yet to test with paint but it looks like I can get some control at lower pressures.

I suggested 10 psi as all I can find on the Neo diaphragm compressor implies it runs up to 15 PSI, so on a medium setting I guestimate 10 psi, maybe a bit more. If that sounds low then what is an average pressure for airbrushing? Whist I consider myself as a learner still I don't have any complaints with the Neo set up, it shoots Tamiya acrylics, Revell aqua, Humbrol enamel and AK metals just fine. I always use same brand thinners and whilst I have had my share of failures I have never suffered from a lot of the problems often posted on here, paint drying on the brush etc. etc. and have not had the need to resort to screen wash or third party products.

I will be writing to Santa for a new AB so want to start with a working set up.

Didn't know about MAC valves, sounds like a fine adjustment flow restrictor, will certainly consider it.