Princess Elizabeth and a Tilly in 1/35 ***FINISHED***

AndrewE

This will be my first build for this GB, hopefully all being well I may get another couple in as well.

I intend to use the Tamiya Light Utility Car and a figure from SKP models to do a simple vignette of Princess Elizabeth in the uniform of the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service standing infront of the Tilly as photographed sometime in 1945.

CcsRvB-WwAAhFq5_zps4rz0oanc.jpg

Tilly%2001_zpshkoos1c9.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Andrew and welcome to the Vignette GB. And what a great idea for a project! Really looking forward to seeing this one come together! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

To echo the above comments, I really have been looking forward to this one. ITs a perfect vignette scene, with an extremely interesting topic. I'm really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

An evenings work and I now have the main building completed.

Tilly%2002_zpsqv2iprjb.jpg

However I have been doing some more trawling around the internet to find more photos and I have come up with another half dozen or so pictures taken at the same time, These have revealed some interesting details about the Tilly which I am going to try and incorporate into the build.

In no particular order I have been able to ascertain the following:-

1) The number on the right hand side of the engine bodywork does not appear on the left hand side so the decals are correct (just good to know!)

2) There is no headlight on the right but the stalk it attaches to is there.

3) There is no mirror on the left but again the stalk it attaches to is still there.

4) The engine grille has a canvas cover over it with two rolled up panels on. This is going to be the hardest part to replicate.

5) The tyre treads are different to the ones in the kit but I shall go with the kit through a lack of alternatives.

6) The canvas cover has a separate section for the top front half with straps at the front and sides. There seem to be two sorts of covers generally and the kit provided one is the plainer version. Some reworking and improvements will be done.

7) The cover has a camouflage pattern on - probably some sort of dark top with Mickey Mouse ear type pattern round the edges.

8) The spade that is normally stowed on the cabin roof is missing.

9) I may also add some interior framework to the rear cover - the rear will be left open so it will be partially visible through the back.

10) No pictures of the rear of the vehicle so I don't know about markings there or if it had a metal or wooden rear tailgate. I have gone with the wooden one.

I also rather like the following photo with the bonnet in the raised position so I may take some artistic license and do the Tilly like this with the same figure as before. Not strictly accurate but who knows? You can just make out the canvas cover over the front grille in this photo as well as the darker top to the canvas cover.

More pictures here if the link works. http://mashable.com/2015/04/22/queen-elizabeth-army/#Ryu4fvrPmkqK

be7c28b97076717bc6ed0e5fc0bbce1b_zps8okt

So much for a quick build straight from the box!

• Like 7

Having managed to find a photo showing the inside of a restored Tilly I thought I would add some detail to the inside of the tarpaulin using some brass rod and masking tape. Once painted I will fill in the window with Johnsons Klear to look like plastic sheet. I have also drilled out the holes for the rope at the bottom edge of the cover so that I can replace the moulded on rope with some real thread.

Also having done some more research today I have also realised that the headlight is a much bigger one than provided in the kit. A quick search through the spares box has come up with a blank so I am going to have to search through the stash and liberate a suitable example from another kit.

Tilly%2003_zpsotsac75b.jpg

• Like 5

Another quick update to show more work on the cover, this time the outside. To improve the window covers and top cover I have added pieces cut from wine bottle foil ( I still need to do more research to find which variety is best though!).

The straps are thin strips of the same foil.

I also decided to replace the rolled up rear cover as it looked too neat and tidy and not wide enough. This was made using some rolled up Magic Sculpt with detail added with a tooth pick and scalpel blade.

Tilly%2004_zpsr525rmrt.jpg

Tilly%2005_zpslsfwgghm.jpg

• Like 8

Gorgeous! :clap: :clap:

Wine bottle foil is one of my favourite materials to work with when scratch building :thumbsup2:

Great job on the cover, too!

Ciao

• Like 1

Time to start Princess Elizabeth herself as I want to play around with the final layout of the vignette.

The figure comes in 4 pieces and after some clean up the fit is very good. The face is also very well sculpted and does indeed look like Princess Elizabeth. Just a small amount of filler was needed around the tops of the arms.

Other progress on the Tilly itself includes scribing some more tread detail onto the spare tyre and replacing all of the tie downs for the cover with fine brass rod.

Since I would like to have the bonnet open on the final model I am going to have Princess Elizabeth leaning on the front wheel arch rather than the front of the bonnet, I have also found an open tool box form a Tamiya engine maintenance set which I shall use and I have ordered 1/35 tools by Aber from Hannants to fill it up.

The bomb is going to be used to make the larger headlight that is needed.

Tilly%2006_zpsbyvpni6k.jpg

Tilly%2007_zps9kh1bo2y.jpg

Tilly%2008_zpsxqjqqtyd.jpg

• Like 11