Revell Flower Class Corvette 1/144

Hi Xmald.

3 hours ago, Xmald said:

Great thread!
I`ve just bought Snowberry myself. I`m wondering if the Eduard`s PE sets are worth buying or not? What`s your suggestion?

Good point.  They are expensive and if I'm honest I think Eduard are milking it a bit.  The weapons set contains the depth charge racks that are really very nice but if I'm honest everything else you can do without.  The "Structure" set Part 2 is far more important as it contains the deck, stack and mast ladders.  

The third part containing the railings is also likely to be very useful as the kit offerings are quite poor.  Eduard have set this release for November

However, I am looking forward to the promised offering from Mike McCabe of Starling Models with his joint co-operative set with L'Arsenal.  I've got a sneaking feeling that this will pip Eduard's sets.

Rob

• Like 3

I keep finding differences from the Snowberry version to Crocus particularly on the deck fittings, no real surprise when these boats were built in so many different yards.

Now the deck is painted filling holes with styrene rod and filing is a non starter so I've opted to cover them.  I don't have a punch set, it's possible to use mini-drills to "punch" out small holes in thin styrene sheet - but it wont work with larger than 1mm.  I found these recently - inexpensive with precut circles which provides a pragmatic solution

DSCF7531_zpsyezblbpo.jpg

DSCF7532_zpsx4ypycag.jpg

DSCF7533_zpstszpwuxt.jpg

DSCF7534_zpst7vck20n.jpg

DSCF7535_zpstppxscyy.jpg

In a similar pragmatic way I'm using the Archer rivet set to replicate the gear teeth on the anchor windlass and the main vents; they sit nicely and hopefully will look effective

DSCF7536_zps8fkpffjk.jpg

DSCF7537_zpskpwhcc6d.jpg

I've been working on some of the Eduard etch today.  Both the short steps fell apart and needed building from separate pieces - not ideal:(

DSCF7538_zps1miepg96.jpg

I worked on weathering the hull over the W/E.  The aim is to give a weathered and used look without it being as "Weather beaten" as some of the pics depicting the N Atlantic convoy vessels.  Rust kept to a minimum.

DSCF7523_zpshhjdtuzk.jpg

The washes start to give depth and perspective to the hull

DSCF7528_zpsx3jl2k37.jpg

DSCF7525_zpse5ozfqnv.jpg

DSCF7526_zpst8otim8o.jpg

And the very good news from today is that Eduard have featured the railings set on their website....

Part 3 Railings Instruction sheet

Thanks for looking

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
Text edit
  • Like 9

On 11/16/2016 at 3:58 PM, Francis Macnaughton said:

Eduard have now announced a big-ed version of their PE which should save some money

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EBIG5343

Thanks for that Francis - I am needing a lot of persuading that is good Value for money

No updates for a while and I was thwarted yesterday by Photobucket NOT allowing me to upload.

Does everyone else have similar problems - I use the free version - is this why I get all the bother?

What photo sites do you all use - any alternative recommendations?

I couldn't live with the resin 3 D railings thickness 

DSCF7539_zpsniscfavu.jpg

So foolishly or otherwise chopped it off and spent a happy hour first trying plastic rod (NoooooH) then metal with copper wire

DSCF7543_zps8qb6os6v.jpg

Which turned out OK

DSCF7545_zpsm9ef8ohw.jpg

There are an awful lot of "little pieces of deck furniture made all the more tirsesome by some fairly hideous sprue gates,  all of which sucks up time

DSCF7541_zpsfihcz7b4.jpg

DSCF7540_zpspdelesmm.jpg

The mast on Crocus has a crosstree much narrower than that supplied so it was chopped - Eduard supply little doo-dahs that you can use to thread lines through.

DSCF7544_zpshvhh5hkk.jpg

And painted up....

.DSCF7560_zpsmfriezv2.jpg

Meanwhile The Big H delivered the Railings set (Not really a lot for £28:unsure:)

The railings are OK and whilst these corresponded to the holes the set for the Stack platform did not :fraidnot: which is altogether galling.

DSCF7547_zpssa100fqv.jpg

I've continued the weathering process - using conventional AFV methods - Mig Filters to the decks and oil dot rendering to the hull below the water liine.  I was tempted to use Tristan Reidford's excellent acryllic washes method using Lifecolor but instead stuck to tried and trusted methods

DSCF7549_zpsyjl93jmx.jpg

The above waterline hull received some more - the original Crocus  pics show very prominent "rubber" marks amidships presumably due to fenders rubbing in dock

DSCF7553_zpssdl2ahsd.jpg

DSCF7554_zpsjvegfmaw.jpg

DSCF7555_zps2tkgtlgm.jpg

The deck received the same oil dot treatment and this is a case of Mig Abteiling Oil:  Industrial dirt being your special friend

DSCF7556_zps0kytiv2v.jpg

And this is what the etched 2D railings begin to look like.  I'm feeling that on the next build - I'll save an awful lot of money and try making my own from scratch

DSCF7558_zpsarkccjfv.jpg

.....and next a little Shout out for these that hail from WW1 Aircraft modellers, that are just fab for anchoring rigging lines - perhaps you already use them

DSCF7559_zpskktdubgc.jpg

They are tiny and Fab - highly recommended......

Bob's Buckles

And true to form I cant download any further images, so let's pause here

Rob

• Like 7

Let's try posting some more pics:blink:

The Eduard pulleys from the: Part 2 Structure set are very nicely done

DSCF7552_zpsvsvlmzhn.jpg

Until one flicked away and I spent over an hour clearing and searching my floor.  I work on a pine wood floor so can't invoke the carpet monster .  it was Not to be found so using some small circels from the "Circle" sets that I highlighted previously and some stretched sprue it took about 5mins to get to this

DSCF7550_zpssxbadu9b.jpg

And just one more random pic - this time of the 3D Resin Quad that will come for the HMS Clematis build

DSCF7562_zpsx1hqsezv.jpg

I'm conscious this build is into it's 5th month - it's time to crack on!

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 9

Rob,

You might want to sort out where your signal flag hoist halyards running down from the yardarm pulleys are going to be secured and make provision for that around now before too many delicate items are in place.  Likewise for the stays/shrouds for the mast - the instructions leave everything to the end which is unrealistic and are very vague.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2016 at 7:20 PM, Francis Macnaughton said:

Rob,

You might want to sort out where your signal flag hoist halyards running down from the yardarm pulleys are going to be secured and make provision for that around now before too many delicate items are in place.  Likewise for the stays/shrouds for the mast - the instructions leave everything to the end which is unrealistic and are very vague.

Thanks Francis - I've got this covered.

I've chosen to bring the Signal Flag halyards to the aft bridge railings.  It's not entirely clear from original pics where they went and I suspect it varied

DSCF7566_zpsqoavcd99.jpg

I've drilled and inserted some metal 0.4mm rod.

As to the mast stays - I've inserted Bob's Buckles "eyes"  on the stack platform and just aft of the 20mm mounts on the bridge

DSCF7567_zpssexasnxi.jpg

The rigging is done with elastic "Ushi" 400G "Rigging Bobbin Fine".  I have the 3 sets from Mig Ammo that are almost too fine.

It is a real disapointment that the Eduard railings do not "fit" the Revell deck holes - that or my build joining the mid decks has been imprecise:rolleyes:

The only real solution is to fill the Revel holes - lop the bottoms off the railings and glue them flat to decking

DSCF7565_zps1zmu4w4s.jpg

That said- in fairness the rear superstructure railings DO fit.  There's an upward curve of the deck that is followed well and will make scratching railings from metal even more complex.

DSCF7564_zpsyjky9hi4.jpg

The aft ladders are gently folded and the depth charge racks are finished off for priming

DSCF7568_zpsjvzx8eov.jpg

Thanks for looking in and the encouragement

Rob

• Like 10

Rob

Re the flag halyards - looking back over this thread I can see you have found some photos that definitely show the halyards for your version going to the back of the bridge at a single point on either side.  For the Snowberry as I have done the kit, the best photos I can find show the halyards as being parallel and more vertical so I have put the halyards to the rails on part E 456 as at stage 48.  I also reduced the length of the yardarm to 26mm using brass rod as the kit one is far too long to achieve this and definitely looks wrong.  Had you looked at whether you will need to adjust your yard arm too?

regards

Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Fellas.  

On 11/28/2016 at 8:59 PM, Francis Macnaughton said:

Rob

Re the flag halyards - looking back over this thread I can see you have found some photos that definitely show the halyards for your version going to the back of the bridge at a single point on either side.  For the Snowberry as I have done the kit, the best photos I can find show the halyards as being parallel and more vertical so I have put the halyards to the rails on part E 456 as at stage 48.  I also reduced the length of the yardarm to 26mm using brass rod as the kit one is far too long to achieve this and definitely looks wrong.  Had you looked at whether you will need to adjust your yard arm too?

regards

Francis

Hi Francis - check above - yard arm already lopped.  I think Revell got this wrong even for Snowberry.

The Eduard set allows you to pimp the davits and the D/C throwers....

DSCF7570_zpsujrywx1z.jpg

The original pics of Crocus show a box like structure on the at "Carley float" platform.  It could be a Merchant raft but probably isn't.  I've read that some boats carried a meat locker that extended below to increase the very limited food storage space. I've just scratched up a simple box shape to replicate.  Shout if anyone has any brighter ideas.  There was also an extra aft upper deck locker that needed fabricating...

DSCF7571_zpsj0ifbznk.jpg

DSCF7572_zpsvdvhhexm.jpg

The Revell depth charges have some minor sink marks and the Eduard etched end caps that add to detail are TOO big:fraidnot:

The original pics also show a fixing band around the top pf the thrower for whcih I used copper wire. There are 18 of them so it's a little tedious.

DSCF7573_zpsotl44r8s.jpg

And the mast was stepped!  The etched ladder really does improve on the kit version...

DSCF7575_zpsx0cktknd.jpg

DSCF7576_zpsrhdtcx8h.jpg

The lantern and funnel platform are now nearing finality

DSCF7578_zpsswlvlv9z.jpg

I've attached the gun platform adders and added some rails from 0-3mm nickel wire

DSCF7579_zpsupcbfvoq.jpg

The rear coach deck is near fitting out and rails paited

DSCF7580_zps8clxevxr.jpg

DSCF7581_zpshjdgakjm.jpg

I now have to rig, add final weapons, complete f'wd railings and I'm nearly there and not before flippin' time:huh:

As ever - thanks for looking

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
  • Like 5

Thanks Kev.

The Eduard metal bits come into their own onthe Vickers gun shields and 2 punder

DSCF7582_zpsntadmf1z.jpg

And Thnaks again To L'Arsenal and Mélaine for sending me the replacement fret for the 20mm gun shields - here's the old and the new

DSCF7585_zpsoodhkz8d.jpg

And here's the finished article - they are a delight and so detailed - the barrell actually slots into gun assembly - superb moulding

DSCF7591_zpssszrw3up.jpg

DSCF7592_zpsrbsa81qo.jpg

And here's the 2 pounder finished 

DSCF7593_zps2tvtx4uf.jpg

DSCF7594_zps65bq2sxd.jpg

....and the rest of today was spent fitting out the second boat (I should have built them together)

DSCF7588_zps93ggyitu.jpg

Yay! - the end is in sight

Rob

• Like 8