Boeing 737-200 South African. Modified Airfix kit. 1:144

Boeing 737-200 South African Airways

1:144 Airfix with modifications

saa8_zpsdbehj5ni.jpg

The third of my modified Airfix 737-200's. The mods are to cut away the cockpit area and replace it with the clear moulded part from a Daco/Skyline 737 kit, and correcting the engines from the 100 series to the 200 Advanced. This involves lengthening them and fattening the pylons. I also added a bit of cockpit detail and a pair of crew figures from N gauge railway passengers, and opened out the wheel bays to make them 3 dimensional.

The Airfix kit is old but basically good, and benefits from these few mods. After all this work some top quality decals are required, so it was straight to Draw Decals website where I found this beautiful scheme. SAA had one the best liveries of all time, and their aircraft were usually kept in sparkling condition.

saa9_zpsekkfla3v.jpg

saa10_zpsartfrkgn.jpg

saa11_zpsd8llv2sk.jpg

saa12_zpsd4vx5hpt.jpg

Underside showing the opened out wheel bays

saa13_zpsrms18wkf.jpg

Crew at work!

saa17_zpshjkm2uva.jpg

With something else. No contest. It has to be my other ZS- registered aircraft, the hilarious 737-800 in Kulula livery, also from Draw Decals.

saa7_zpsceey4if4.jpg

Some info about the modifications.

Test fit of the cut out for the Daco clear part

saa16_zpswdpgpllp.jpg

Modified engines. Lengthened with a 6mm section of a bomb, covered with Milliput. Pylons widened with plastic sheet.

saa2_zps4jgiztw1.jpg

Basic parts for improving the model

saa1_zpsnoi0xjea.jpg

saa14_zps548jtwts.jpg

saa15_zps3qyqvzrq.jpg

It was all extra work, but well worth the effort.

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 33

John, this makes all the difference to the overall look of the Airfix 737 doesn't it? Apart from the nose shape and the engine pylons there's really nothing wrong with the kit at all.

Love the details, I noticed your pilots are wearing ties. I have a Ryanair 737-800 with a cockpit crew which when I had finished and showed my wife her only comment was "Don't Ryanair pilots wear ties?" Aaargh! I'd forgotten to paint them on! :banghead:

I got rid of my Liveries Unlimited SAA 737 sheet, kinda wish I'd kept it now :weep:

Thanks for sharing.

What's next?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning! I'm loving all the modified 737s you're making. They're gorgeous! Would you mind taking a picture with all three (that I know of, BusyBee, Air Europe, and this one) together? I always go back to those builds when I need some inspiration. Your kits are amazing! Truly professional. Love it!

All the best,

Drew

• Like 1

Absolute rubbish as usual.. Crew ties are the wrong colour and the captain has his hair parted on the wrong side..

Of course everyone knows I'm only joking :wicked:

Nice one John.

• Like 2

Cracking work! You've got to do an OzJet one next - I think that was the best -200 scheme, but I used to work for them so I'm probably more than a bit biased!

Edited by Darwinism
  • Like 1

:wow::gobsmacked: what a stunner.

These mods really make a difference.

Does DACO sell those clear parts separately ? If so,I need to order a few

Edited by Alex1978

Many thanks for all the replies, they are much appreciated.

I got rid of my Liveries Unlimited SAA 737 sheet, kinda wish I'd kept it now :weep:

What's next?

Ian, you can get a sheet from Draw Decals. Next up is an A319 in Frontier 'Mickey the Moose', and a 737-800 in Helios.

Does DACO sell those clear parts separately ? If so,I need to order a few

They do. I was fortunate to get some from members Skodadriver (Thanks Dave!) and Stringbag (Thanks Chris!) I've got 1 left so may need to buy some.

Would you mind taking a picture with all three (that I know of, BusyBee, Air Europe, and this one) together?

Here you are Drew;

saa18_zpsnv9irwen.jpg

Thanks all!

John

• Like 6

Hello,John - My full compliments to you as always for yet another beautifully built and finished airliner.I love the early '737's and these scale replicas,one and all,are resplendent tributes to the type.;) All the very best,Paul.

Many thanks for all the replies, they are much appreciated.

Ian, you can get a sheet from Draw Decals. Next up is an A319 in Frontier 'Mickey the Moose', and a 737-800 in Helios.

They do. I was fortunate to get some from members Skodadriver (Thanks Dave!) and Stringbag (Thanks Chris!) I've got 1 left so may need to buy some.

Here you are Drew;

saa18_zpsnv9irwen.jpg

Thanks all!

John

Thank you John.I will get me a few of those.

And the last pic with all 3 737s is just awesome.I always loved the -200 (sight and the sound) and your builds just do more than justice to this classic airliner

Here you are Drew;

saa18_zpsnv9irwen.jpg

Thanks all!

John

Oh my. how beautiful! Your works of art are something to strive for. Amazing! Thanks!

All the best,

Drew

Hi John

Yet another fantastic build. I'm always totally amazed at the level of detail you are able to achieve at 144 scale with the doors, interiors, etc. That takes serious skill.

Altogether a superb job.

Cheers

Tim