Albatross DV: Baron von Richthofen

Here is my rendition of Airfix's little Albatross DV built OOB in the colours of Baron von Richthofen. The first OOB build did in um dunno years at least....

I could not help but improve the kit a bit by scratch building the Daimler engine, making the prop from laminated Balsa wood and making the Spandau guns myself. For the latter I used a very fine mesh to represent the cooling jackets. Not perfect but in that scale it does the trick.

Smaller improvements are an instrument panel and compass for Manfred. The rigging I made from very fine Tungsten wire not the ideal solution. The whole system of plastic wings and Tungsten wires is somewhat temperature sensitive, causing the wires to sag at times. I still need to get hold of something stretchy to keep the bracing wires tight.

What first pulled me towards this build was the natural plywood of the fuselage I wanted to try and emulate that. I am in two minds about the effect I created; sometimes I think I over done it and other times I think it is way too subtle. But be it as it may, it is done now. And it is a colourful addition to my little collection of models.

20160616_185955s_zps6qaqjdl6.jpg

20160616_190252s_zpstdtxik7o.jpg

20160616_190117s_zpsyqkpn56q.jpg

20160616_190747cs_zps82lrud01.jpg

And a bit of detail of the scratch built engine, prop and Spandau guns:

20160430_165330s_zpsnt6b7aop.jpg

R

Edited by Rizon
  • Like 13

Very nice! I like the whole removable cowling and engine. The old Airfix kit does scrub up surprisingly well with a bit of TLC for a 50+ year old.

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1