Grumman Wigeon Turbine Conversion

Here is a “What if” model of mine. Not that I normally do this kind of modelling, but as a thought experiment I wanted to see what it takes to convert a Grumman Widgeon to turbine power. I started this build as part of the what if group build of last year, but only completed it recently. Here a link to the build, with some info on the conversion of the model itself. Link

To recap though on the concept: Stretch the fuselage ahead of the wing to make up for the slightly lighter engines, but also stretch the rear fuselage a bit – to increase control authority of the tail feathers. Or increase the “tail volume” as it is technically called. The trick is finding a balance between the two. Increasing the tail authority is required due to the increased powe;, to allow controlled flight with one engine out and to also counteract the now increased aerodynamic forces the extended nose will give. Also a fin root extension will be given for the latter reason to help in cross wind landings. The engine nacelles have to be extended a bit to fit the turbine engines. And also to keep the prop discs ahead of the flight crew stations in the now extended front fuselage. Wings were modified a bit with different flaps and winglets to increase the wing aspect ratio.

I’m happy the way the concept worked out – so if anyone has a spare Wigeon airframe and lots of money available, I can convert it to turbine power for you. I didn’t do too much effort on getting the model to a perfect finish – I needed a bit of a fun build for a change as well. And I had fun with this build! The colour scheme was inspired by the Grumman Goose used in “Tales of the Golden Monkey”, if any one actually knows of that TV series....?

20160616_190841s_zpsepzlstys.jpg

20160616_190914s_zpsyskgj6no.jpg

20160616_191057cs_zpsu54fmvkn.jpg

20160616_191135cs_zpsbzgoixho.jpg

And what she looks like with wheels retracted. Still want to add a little base of water for it - something like a peaceful Canadian lake diorama or so...

20160616_191550cs_zpsxkhohkg5.jpg

R

Edited by Rizon
  • Like 19

• 9 months later...

Like very much the articulating landing gears(!) .. original idea in this scale and inspiring..

TA

Was never that much a fan of the turbine version of the Goose, those inverted engines and un-aesthetically long cowlings put me off. Hence the thought experiment if a stretched Widgeon will look a bit better.... ;)