F-22 and F-35 at RIAT (more added 10th July)

Hi

Had a great day at Fairford today. The weather was (relatively) kind, and the displays were great! The wifi in my hotel is painfully slow, so I have only uploaded a few of the Raptor and Lightning II and one of the fully-loaded BAE Systems Typhoon.

Thanks for looking.

DSC_4249_zpsqofbegzf.jpg

DSC_4310_zpsdapgxwpu.jpg

DSC_4412_zpsji7ndrec.jpg

DSC_4588_zpsk6v7ebqw.jpg

DSC_4623_zpsa3q40ome.jpg

DSC_4646_zps0ex4lzjd.jpg

DSC_4727_zpsffcldm28.jpg

DSC_4754_zpshyxmkglk.jpg

DSC_4776_zpstbdvswjf.jpg

DSC_5126_zpserhdw5fx.jpg

DSC_5195_zpslr7orvqa.jpg

DSC_5358_zpsffwsg4ll.jpg

DSC_5361_zpsryo1imm9.jpg

DSC_5370_zpsgj9hwtmh.jpg

• Like 19

I had the Arrows et al fly directly over my house in that same formation whilst they were in holding over Brize. I love the photo of the F-22 on take off...

Hutch

• Like 1

Welcome to the future of aircraft design

..yes the commentators were banging on about that all day. These machines will still be in service when most of us have gone (speaking for the over-40s there..) - grim thought that for the future of airshows perhaps. Although the F-35 pulls some nice contrails just flying straight and level at times. Still, amazing to see both the F-22 and F-35 together. Super pics too...

• Like 2

Cracking shots.

I've just got back, sadly the P-51 didn't make it along for the heritage flight and there was only one Tiffie with the JSF and Red Arrows, still a great show though, I'd forgotten how awesome the F-22 actually is.

• Like 2

Unlikely, no software operating system has that longevity......

Peter

the programme operates a $300 million reprogramming lab at Eglin opened in 2011 updating 'threat libraries' and overseeing 'system(s) reprogramming'. The F-35 will serve from 2018 for at least 30 years - an "upgradeable" aircraft, the F-35 is designed " to meet evolving threats"

Glad you liked the pictures, chaps.

Yesterday's show was great as well, still no Mustang for the Heritage Flight, although there was at Flying Legends. The absolute highlight of the show for me was an incredible display by the Super Hornet - simply amazing! (Pics to follow after I get home tonight.)

• Like 1

Unlikely, no software operating system has that longevity......

Peter

I have a feeling that, unlike us poor PC chaps, DoD is able to convince his software guys that upgrades are not meant to make hardware obsolete before time.

• Like 1

Was a bit meh before I'd seen them in the flesh and I was well impressed now I've done so. Won't inspire me to model either of them but both are fantastic bits of kit. Oh and another vote for the F/A-18 - that was LOUD and brilliantly flown.

• Like 1

Some fantastic photos, thanks for posting them. Can't help but think of Angry Birds when I see the RAF F-35, it's where the roundel is positioned, looks like a cartoon bird's eye!

Duncan B

• Like 1

That is a set of terrific shots. I particularly like the vapour effects on the F22 you've captured and the F35 in conjunction with the Arrows offers a lovely contrast between - my opinion - an odd looking dull grey machine and nice bright photogenic aeroplanes. The sun shining on the US pair really makes a difference in their appearance I think and great to see the mixed formation of the Red Sparrows, Typhoon and Lightning ll.

Thanks for sharing them.

• Like 1

When we saw both of them together on Saturday, my wife said they looked like Mother and Baby together! (Only a female could come up with that analogy!)

• Like 3