German Panzer I Photo Reference Book

Mike

German Panzer I
The Ampersand Group via Casemate UK

cover.jpg

The Panzer I was the first mass-produced tank made available to the newly reformed German Army, and as such saw extensive service, with a large number of variants during its service life. It was used to great effect in the Blitzkrieg campaigns in Europe where its light weight and speed offset its relatively poor armour and armament, extending only to a pair of turret mounted machineguns.

page1.jpg

This book, authored by David Doyle and Jeff Kleinhenz is hardback bound in a landscape format with 168 pages that contain over 200 photos, many of which take up the whole page and are contemporary, with some of them quite informal, while others are more definitely posed. The photos are very well printed and the larger than usual size gives you the opportunity to examine the small details that might be lost in smaller reproductions. After the introduction, there is little text other than the captions to the photos, but there are quite verbose and full of useful information, which will bear re-reading during ownership.

page2.jpg

After a short introduction the book is laid out as follows:

• Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf. A
  • Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf. B
  • Leichte (funk) Panzerwagen
  • Kleine PanzerBefehlswagen
  • Pz.Kpfw.I Variants
  • Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf. C
  • Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf. F
  • Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf. A in detail
  • Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf. B in detail
  • Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf. F in detail

Those last three sections contain photos of preserved examples in museums, with colour used and much great detail visible due to the march of technology.

page3.jpg

Conclusion
This is an excellent photo-reference for this diminutive but important little tank, and would serve just as well as a coffee table book or reference book for a modeller, as well as the general AFV or WWII buff.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.gif