126 Sqn Spitfire IXc, Channel patrol, June 1944

bobsyouruncle

Hi all,

Quite a few years ago I'd painted a small oil of a 126 Sqn 'Spit' ML214, flown by John Plagis, in a very similar pose to this one, based on the research that had been around at that time.

It subsequently came to light over the years that the aircraft's appearance was actually quite different at that time (the most obvious thing being the invasion stripes which should have been half width compared to the standard 18" ones) and so mistakes had crept in and I wasn't the only one to show her in incorrect markings. You can read about how she should have looked here on the fundekals page:-

http://www.fundekals.com/images/Plagis/PlagisInstRev04-2014.pdf

Anyway, since then I'd always fancied doing another similar attitude 126 Sqn Spitfire to 'set things straight' so to speak, whenever time would allow.

This, therefore, is another small oil sketch showing 126 Sqn Spitfire IXc, MK923 'Z'.

Research this time was much more thorough, delving into the Sqn Operational Diaries and referring to period photos.

I've shown her in her typical fit for most of June 1944 on patrol.

She was flown at that time mainly by Sqn Ldr Bill Swinden (including D-Day) until John Plagis took over the Squadron on 20th June.

Several other squadron pilots flew her on various missions, (mostly over France) including Plagis himself on one occasion.

Having survived the war, she was later bought by film actor Cliff Robertson and flown on the airshow circuit by Jerry Billing.

She's carrying the 45 gallon jettisonable external fuel tank on the centreline here. This was carried on most missions in June and occasionally swapped for a 500lb bomb.

The external fuel tanks were not without problems, with at least one aircraft having to crash land due to the engine cutting out when switching tanks.

Plagis had more problems according to his combat report, with the later, more streamlined 90 gallon tank, when the release cable broke and he had to fight with it still attached (reporting the aircraft sluggish, difficult to aim properly and subject to yawing).

Hope some of that's interesting (if you didn't already know it -apologies if you did). Here's MK923.

FQdFP6.jpg

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobsyouruncle
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...