Hello All,
This is the Trumpeter 1/48 DH Hornet F3. OOB with the exception of Barracuda Wheels happy.gif I won't dwell what Trumpeter did wrong as enough has been said already. Sort of looks like a DH Hornet anyways. Given that I build almost exclusively in 1/144 scale with the odd exception it was a real challenge to do a "supersized" kit. Pics via Iphone 4 so the quality is sort of rubbish, apologies... don't own a decent camera anymore. Oh, by the way, Xtradecals were also used on the kit depicting a 64 Sqdn Aircraft during exercise dagger 1948 I think.

001_zpsllbb22zf.jpg

002_zpsjb4sqpzu.jpg

003_zpsiszorzmv.jpg

004_zpsmmkfvvis.jpg

008_zpsvpco9svu.jpg

009_zpshsobpufk.jpg

010_zps4m2zbgsf.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy modelling all. Happy to answer questions.

Ian

• Like 32

For all thats wrong with the kit that will annoy those who can spot it, I'm not sufficiently familiar with the Hornet to be able to see those faults & to me it looks like a Hornet & a very nicely built one at that, Even the photos aren't too bad. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

As Steve said above that looks very much like a Hornet to me and a lovely one at that !

Great colour scheme and nice weathering.

Well done Ian.

Guy

That's really nicely finished.

What paints did you use?

The lightly weathered aluminium/doped silver has come out especially well.

I haven't seen a 1/48 Hornet of any make in this scheme before, and it is a refreshing touch of colour.

Hello David, The Silver is Alclad II Aluminium with some Alclad II Duraluminum on some of the panels to give a bit of contrast. Applied over Tamiya Rattle can Nato Black. The Yellow is Gunze Acrylic H329 Yellow applied over white primer and pre shading with a cream yellow H34 and red H13 spots. Airbrush control when spraying the Alclad was pretty ordinary so it really was up to post shading with diluted Tamiya X-19 Smoke to weather her properly. There is also some paynes grey and raw umber oils mixed and blended into some of the high wear panel areas near the cockpit. Hope that helps. Ian

Looks lovely! Sometimes it's fun to ignore accuracy concerns and build a nice model. Of course when you find out it takes up as much space on your shelf as nine Hornets in your usual scale the fun might wear off a bit!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

That for sure is a lovely looking plane. Ace job there. I'm currently building a vamp, with a similar silver colour scheme and would like to adopt your technique for "post shading" as my pre shading didn't go according to plan. I read that you used oils and tamiya paints too, did you paint on then rub off with spirits? Or just paint very lightly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John.

Ps. Just thought I should check if you did a WIP. Doh! :)

G'day John,

No WIP on this one..... Sorry. I would suggest you have a look at Spencer Pollards tutorial on youtube regarding Natural Metal finishes. Mine is fairly closely adapted from his work. If you follow his recipe or adapt it to your own situation I'm sure things will work out good.

Have fun with it... :)

Ian

• Like 1

G'day John,

No WIP on this one..... Sorry. I would suggest you have a look at Spencer Pollards tutorial on youtube regarding Natural Metal finishes. Mine is fairly closely adapted from his work. If you follow his recipe or adapt it to your own situation I'm sure things will work out good.

Ian

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a looksie, much appreciated.

Johnny.

Fantastic looking Hornet!

Looks very much like a Hornet to me, would like to know in what way it doesn't! ;-)

I'm currently building three Classic Airframes 1/48 Whirlwinds and to be honest I really wish they had been the Trumpeter kits regardless of inaccuracies. I had been given them on a contract build otherwise I would have built the Trumpeter kit.

I can whole heartedly say the CA kits are THE worst kits I have ever had to struggle with in all the years I've been building kits. Most of the parts seem to have a life of their own and really do have an aversion to lining up, joining up, twist and shout etc!

Trumpeter all the way with these kits definitely!

Martin

Fantastic looking Hornet!

Looks very much like a Hornet to me, would like to know in what way it doesn't! ;-)

I'm currently building three Classic Airframes 1/48 Whirlwinds and to be honest I really wish they had been the Trumpeter kits regardless of inaccuracies. I had been given them on a contract build otherwise I would have built the Trumpeter kit.

I can whole heartedly say the CA kits are THE worst kits I have ever had to struggle with in all the years I've been building kits. Most of the parts seem to have a life of their own and really do have an aversion to lining up, joining up, twist and shout etc!

Trumpeter all the way with these kits definitely!

Martin

Hi Ian,

Personally I didn't have any problems putting the CA kit together. In fact, it is much easier to correct than the Trumpeter version.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989551-dh-sea-hornet-nf21-vw957/#entry2120182

G'day John,

Ian

Sorry for so many questions. I watched the you tube vids, they are very good. I only have one question. Spencer seems to flit between oil paints for panels then acrylic for the smoke and then back to oils. Does this work? I thought you usually top coat before any oil paint are added? Thanks for any info.

John. :)

Hello John,

No no, don't feel as though you are imposing, asking questions is good.

Alclad II is a lacquer based paint and seemed to cope well with oils mixed with a small amount of white spirit directly applied and blended into the surface. I didn't have any issues. I did the post shading with the smoke (alcohol based diluent as the smoke is a acrylic) then moved on to the oils.

Under normal circumstances with camouflage I mainly use either gunze or Tamiya acrylics. I would then seal under pledge one go/future etc, decal and seal decals with pledge etc..... Next I would flatcoat with testors dull coat using a lacquer diluent. Any further weathering should be OK as the lacquer dullcoat seems to cope with enamel washes or filters. I almost always use a lacquer based dullcoat/glosscoat/satin coat to seal the previous layer.

If you are feeling a little concerned find a scrap bit of plastic and treat it exactly the same way during your painting steps and use it as a test bed before you proceed.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Edited by Farnarkle
  • Like 1

Hello John,

No no, don't feel as though you are imposing, asking questions is good.

Alclad II is a lacquer based paint and seemed to cope well with oils mixed with a small amount of white spirit directly applied and blended into the surface. I didn't have any issues. I did the post shading with the smoke (alcohol based diluent as the smoke is a acrylic) then moved on to the oils.

Under normal circumstances with camouflage I mainly use either gunze or Tamiya acrylics. I would then seal under pledge one go/future etc, decal and seal decals with pledge etc..... Next I would flatcoat with testors dull coat using a lacquer diluent. Any further weathering should be OK as the lacquer dullcoat seems to cope with enamel washes or filters. I almost always use a lacquer based dullcoat/glosscoat/satin coat to seal the previous layer.

If you are feeling a little concerned find a scrap bit of plastic and treat it exactly the same way during your painting steps and use it as a test bed before you proceed.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Hi Ian.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I have decided to use a tried and tested method on my Vamp but I a have a Seafire, a P36 lightning and a mig that could do with some silver lovin' like you have suggested. I'll be taking your advice for sure.

Thanks again. :pilot:

John