1/48 Fine Molds Mitsubishi KA-14 From The Wind Rises.

1/48 Fine Molds Mitsubishi KA-14 From The Wind Rises.

Background:

The Mitsubishi A5M, formal Japanese Navy designation Mitsubishi Navy Type 96 Carrier-based Fighter (九六式艦上戦闘機), experimental Navy designation Mitsubishi Navy Experimental 9-Shi Carrier Fighter, company designation Mitsubishi Ka-14, was a Japanese carrier-based fighter aircraft. It was the world's first monoplane shipboard fighter to enter service and the direct predecessor of the famous Mitsubishi A6M 'Zero'. The Allied reporting name was Claude.

The Wind Rises (Japanese: 風立ちぬ Hepburn: Kaze Tachinu?) is a 2013 Japanese animated historical drama film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and animated by Studio Ghibli. It was released by Toho on July 20, 2013 in Japan, and by Touchstone Pictures in North America on February 21, 2014. The Wind Rises is a fictionalized biopic of Jiro Horikoshi (1903–1982), designer of the Mitsubishi A5M fighter aircraft and its successor, the Mitsubishi A6M Zero, used by the Empire of Japan during World War II. The film is adapted from Miyazaki's manga of the same name, which was in turn loosely based on the 1937 short story The Wind Has Risen by Tatsuo Hori. It was the final film directed by Miyazaki before his retirement in September 2013. The Wind Rises was the highest-grossing Japanese film in Japan in 2013 and received widespread critical acclaim. It won and was nominated for several awards, including nominations for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, the Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film, and the Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_A5M
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Rises

Box and Sprue Shots:

DSCF4184.JPG

DSCF4281.JPG

DSCF4282.JPG

DSCF4283.JPG

DSCF4288.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

UPDATE ONE

Got started on this build now and it looks to be straight forward.

The cockpit is painted but finer details to be picked out.

The instructions give the colour as C126 Gunze which is Mitsubishi cockpit green.

This is darker than the usual green like XF-71.

I used the instruction recommendation to mix 50:50 Tamiya XF-58 and XF-49.

Other parts had XF-69 Nato Black and X-13 meatllic blue.

OTgjpdf.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, glad to see some progress!  For the record, I did get a copy at last, which led to getting a Classic Airframes A5M4 (probably should have gone for the Fine Molds, but it was fairly cheap).  I've glued a part or two, but then got distracted as usually happens!

bob

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE TWO

Made a lot of progress.

Everything ready for primer.

6LfVu0i.jpg

Now with grey badger primer applied.

nDZJMWQ.jpg

Then some pre-shading.

NRdFTgQ.jpg

siQzulZ.jpg

Then onto the base colours of which Tamiya XF-14 (JA Grey), XF-7 (Red) and Xf-85 (rubber black).  The metallic's were AK's 480 dark aluminium.

SwU3q24.jpg?1

q5XGuq6.jpg?1

Decals applied and engine assembled.

6WsVZ5r.jpg?2

f9tgc9o.jpg?1

The model was then washed with dark dirt clay wash and cleaned up.

Then sealed with Tamiya X-35 semi-gloss clear.

I spent a couple of hours creating a simple base with grass and some decking made from coffee stirrers all in a small picture frame.

pqvjPl8.jpg?1

YmB96dh.jpg

• Like 5