Confrontational (1/72 Revell Hawker Hunter FGA.9)

It looks superb PC :worthy: . 

Really tasteful finish on what is a very attractive aircraft.

Also a thread more entertaining than just about anything I've read on the internet this year :thumbsup2: !

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

As Tony(Tiger) and Ced have just said PC, a thread that was always a pleasure to return to - with the benefit of a Hunter as the bait - and mild dismay to think you won't be starting another build for a while. You'll just have to have to get the mods to set you up your own chat-show section in the forum in the interim, one that you can preside over Conan O'Brien-style....

Good luck with the search for a new Camelot :D

Tony

• Like 4

On 11/09/2016 at 7:45 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

A picture to wish you bon voyage, and to demonstrate that the Royal Navy really knew how to look after their Hunters...

IMG_0196_zpsmd2vkbn2.jpg

Frankly, the aircraft looks to have survived the ordeal rather better than the building!

I'll shed a little light on this one, extract from UK serial website

13/11/1969 XF297  BY-738 Hunter GA11 738 NAS Jumped the wheel chocks during full power engine checks at Brawdy, Pembrokeshire and ran into the 738 NAS office block. The pilot was seriously injured. After being extricated it was struck off charge and stripped for spares

CT

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Beard said:

The Hunter looks lovely. Are you planning on finishing the CAC Sabre?

I am, was working with its awful decals last night.

We still have to actually list and sell our house, so I'm sure it will be a (long, hellish, marriage-testing) while before we sell, if we ever do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I am, was working with its awful decals last night.

We still have to actually list and sell our house, so I'm sure it will be a (long, hellish, marriage-testing) while before we sell, if we ever do.

The 'like' was for the first part of your post, not the second.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2016 at 1:08 AM, AlexN said:

Hmm...gunpowder and gelatine used for the filler?

Funny you sould say that Al,as soon as Ed mentioned "filler queen",the tune leapt into my head too:

She's a Filler,Queeen,gunpowder,gelatine,dynamite with a laser beam.

Brilliant job on th'Hunter Edwardo,she really looks the part.

On the subject of this house move caper,why not grasp the nettle firmly?(Do wear gloves of course.Barehanded nettle grasping is a no-no).

Tell Mrs P that you've given the matter some very careful considerations and that a house move to the UK is most acceptable^_^

She'll either go for it(possibly your throat)or she'll machine gun you.Most robustly:D

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 3

Okay, my filking instincts have been triggered. Cue Freddy Mercury:

She keeps Squadron and Miliput
In her model cabinet
'Let them get built' she says
Just like Marie Antoinette
Building a remedy
For all the flaws that you can see
At anytime an invitation
You can't decline

Resin and Photo-etch
Well versed in etiquette
Extraordinarily nice

She's a Filler Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to fill your seams
Anytime

Recommended at the price
Insatiable an appetite
Wanna try?

To avoid complications
She never built a Russian kit
Her compensation’s
The parts fit where they’re meant to fit
Built a kit from China
Had to fill the line-a
Then again incidentally
If you're that way inclined

Heller came naturally from Paris
For cars she couldn't care less
Fastidious and precise

She's a Filler Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with…

Edited by Jessica
Spelling
  • Like 24

I'm gonna level with you, the only Queen songs I know are in Flash Gordon. (I wasn't allowed to listen to "rock music" -- anything uptempo, really -- so my first exposure to anything not folk or classical was when I went to college in 1997.)

Anyhoo, I figure I'll chronicle my progress on the Sabre here, since why not:

I can't emphasize enough how much the decals for the Avon Sabre suck. And it's a triad of suckery, to boot. The original High Planes decals, thick and uncooperative. The new High Planes decals, which are just a solid sheet of (granted, pretty thin) decal. The Tasman decals, which date to 1996 and are also pretty thick. I've had to resort to my least favourite method of laying down decals, a puddle of Future. To add insult to injury, the High Planes decals just plain omit things: the prominent coiled snake on the tailplane of the Sabre I'm doing, the "NO STEP" in the middle of the red crosshatched wing tip stencils (which mercifully I concluded my Sabre lacked, but not before going through my entire stash searching in vain for some red NO STEP decals), etc etc etc.

Anyway, here we go:

30011518415_5264e11eaa_k.jpg20160929_154734 by Edward IX, on Flickr

29717371140_3534e09368_k.jpg20160929_154719 by Edward IX, on Flickr

29717375050_2fbfdc09ee_k.jpg20160929_154706 by Edward IX, on Flickr

29928086431_b59b12b932_k.jpg20160929_154710 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Oh, and now that I finally got it from the Tasman kit, I put the tail band up too high, but fuhgeddaboudit.

• Like 15

'Liked' not just for the progress thus far on your Sabre, but for the sheer perseverance on display, especially in the face of such recalcitrant decals.

Oh, and the Hunter's very nice too! Sorry for not commenting before this.

Nice Sabre Sir - en garde!

You're tempting me to do a couple to model the amazing story of the guy who pushed his wingman back to base during the Korean war. I seem to remember making copious notes on this some time ago after seeing a programme on the TV, but now (of course) I can't find them which made me think I remember people talking me out of it because... oh, I can't remember, poor old sod...

I found the programme on YouTube:

but I still can't find my notes... didn't we have a chat about this in a thread somewhere? Oh, I give up...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice Sabre Sir - en garde!

You're tempting me to do a couple to model the amazing story of the guy who pushed his wingman back to base during the Korean war. I seem to remember making copious notes on this some time ago after seeing a programme on the TV, but now (of course) I can't find them which made me think I remember people talking me out of it because... oh, I can't remember, poor old sod...

I found the programme on YouTube:

but I still can't find my notes... didn't we have a chat about this in a thread somewhere? Oh, I give up...

Oh, James Robinson Risner! He was later shot down and became a POW in Vietnam, where he had an encounter with the writer and cultural critic Mary McCarthy, who disliked him immensely. He remembered it a little differently.

• Like 2

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, CedB said:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Beautiful. I agree.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CedB said:

― Theodore Roosevelt

My favourite US President, you know. Physically and morally, I am certain, a man apart from all his contemporaries and most who came before and after him in this country. 

The Sabre is coming along. Here it is with one I've done earlier:

30002045946_5ab83173db_k.jpg20160930_233654 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The Airfix one, in fact, was the first kit I finished in this house, which of course we're now trying to sell after four years. Almost all of my books are packed away in boxes and heading off to a storage facility tomorrow.

30002044996_d8826c15c9_k.jpg20160930_233733 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It doesn't look great if you get too close. Either of them really.

30036145865_f20edeaec9_k.jpg20160930_233700 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I love the bat zap. All the 79 Squadron Sabres at Ubon seemed to have it, and some part of me wonders if it's not connected to Colonels "Chappie" James and Robin Olds, vice-commander and commander of the USAF's 8th TFW based at Ubon, and nicknamed "Blackman and Robin". 

29952593011_f55e053e16_k.jpg20160930_233721 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It's tough for me to pack away all of my books. When I ran away from home, I ran away with the suit on my back, the six volumes of Churchill's history of World War II, and pretty much nothing else. So I suppose in a way, my books are a tangible symbol of the fact that through nothing more than an immense amount of luck, I came out the other side of a rather unpleasant experience intact and more or less a functional adult. Hopefully we sell the house soon.

• Like 9