Confrontational (1/72 Revell Hawker Hunter FGA.9)

I hate to throw a wet blanket on things, but I noticed on the underside shot that the semi-circular cutouts in the flaps are missing the fill pieces which attach to the upper wing surfaces so as not to leave gaping holes when the flaps are up. Hope they didn't get tossed out after you removed them from the flaps...

Ffffffffff

They did get removed. Photos of that area are pretty thin on the ground -- I looked -- and that's what the instructions seemed to indicate. I even mentioned doing it way back in post #135.

I realize it's nobody's fault but my own, but here is my current mental state:

• Like 4

Here's the best photo I could find. The fill piece is just barely visible above the tail of the lower tank where the streaks on the flap suddenly stop. Also note the general grubbiness of an operational Hunter; you're going to have to dirty up that pristine Alclad...

XK151-D_airborne-underside_1965_KS.jpg

• Like 8

Oh boy, isn't she a dirty bird

(Just what I was searching for in another life, but as usual I digress) :(

When I saw them missing in the picture of your Hunter's underside I said nowt because a: I haven't built this kit and b: thought they'd have mentioned it in passing in the destructions

Luckily it won't take a lot of cutting a piece of polycard (or yogurt pack in necessary) to make a pair of new ones if the real deal is gone far away

• Like 2

A picture to wish you bon voyage, and to demonstrate that the Royal Navy really knew how to look after their Hunters...

IMG_0196_zpsmd2vkbn2.jpg

Frankly, the aircraft looks to have survived the ordeal rather better than the building!

The hole in the roof intrigues me.... A miss-timed ejection?

• Like 4

Look at all that debris sitting on top of the aircraft right under the hole. It's what used to be up there.

Which would surely also be there if the pilot (& seat) had punched a hole through it? Would also account for the debris on the roof...

Hope your theory is the correct one though Jessica, don't think the Hunter had a zero/zero seat ?

Keith

• Like 1

Which would surely also be there if the pilot (& seat) had punched a hole through it? Would also account for the debris on the roof...

Hope your theory is the correct one though Jessica, don't think the Hunter had a zero/zero seat ?

Keith

I don't think so. A large seat-shaped projectile exiting at rapid velocity through the ceiling and roof would push the debris up, out and sideways, leaving it scattered in a rough ring around the accident site. I don't think that there's enough mess on the roof for that.

• Like 1

It didn't. The Hunter had the MB Mk3 seat which was a 0-90 seat (0ft, 90kts).

The first MB 0-0 seat (0ft, 0kts) was the Mk6 fitted to the Buccaneer (effectively a Mk3 seat with an added rocket pack).

• Like 1

They did get removed. Photos of that area are pretty thin on the ground -- I looked -- and that's what the instructions seemed to indicate. I even mentioned doing it way back in post #135.

I realize it's nobody's fault but my own, but here is my current mental state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQ99s4Ywnw

He's losing his mind! And I'm reaping all the benefits. .......

• Like 1

Nice pic PC! Hope you and cookie are having a great time, certainly reads that way!

I'm with Jess on the hole in the roof, collapsed due to the massive jet poking it's nose where it shouldn't and then lighter debris blown out but force of jet /back draft of the roof collapse.... Get pic and hope no one was hurt

Rob

If only you and Cookie would stay out of Area 51, you wouldn't keep getting chased by all those aircraft....

I can't help it, the man's a modern Indiana Jones, and I'm his Short Round.

• Like 3

A very pleasant and contemplative Battle of Britain Day to everyone! In so many ways, the determination of "all that Britain is, and all that Britain means" happens and has happened every day, in a hundred less dramatic ways, and someday I hope to play my own small part in that as well. May it always remain and continue to become a wonderful place.

• Like 9

The things I do for you people:

29717651086_9e61c33097_k.jpg20160917_215832 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I found one of the flap bits, and raided the incomplete Hunter in my possession for the other, thereby continuing a long tradition of royally screwing Future Me. Someday I will stop screwing and become the me being screwed.

Current state of play on the kit:

29671232341_0c1226b62e_k.jpg20160917_215838 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Need to add stencils, second clear coat, weathering (ulp), landing gear, greeblies, and tanks, and then final clear coat.

Three moments that stick with me from seeing the Phantoms this week:

The first was at an American Legion hall, where the aircrew and maintainers shared stories about their aircraft over drinks. Near the end, one pilot, who'd flown in Vietnam, stood swaying on his feet to toast the machine, and said "she protected me when I was young and foolish, and couldn't protect myself."

The second was on Wednesday, when we went out to the ramp to see the 82nd Aerial Target Squadron's aircraft. They used to number in the hundreds, but now they're down to thirteen airframes, some of which have been gutted for spares and couldn't fly again, even if the air force wanted them to. Virtually everyone there but Cookie and me had worked on the aircraft or flown them in some capacity. They were absolutely silent as they walked around the Phantoms. When we got back on the bus, they were still silent, except for one wavering voice in the front, which in the stillness I heard from my seat in the back: "The saddest ramp I've ever seen."

The last moment was as we were leaving the ending banquet; I had screwed up the courage to ask Lt Colonel King, who commands Detachment 1 of the 82nd ATARS, and who will be the very last Air Force pilot to fly a USAF Phantom ever come December 21, for his autograph. After I got his signature, he turned to a Luftwaffe major, who was  with their Flying Training Center at Holloman. He had flown the F-4F with the Luftwaffe before it was retired, and was converting to Tornados. "Please, Colonel, may I visit your detachment? I must touch a Phantom one more time."

This week was incredible, but it was also very beautiful, and very sad.

• Like 14