Unsung hero - Meteor Target Tug

Here is the recent Airfix 1/48th Meteor F.8 in target-towing colours, as seen at RAF Sylt in the late '50's. Decals are from the excellent Xtradecal sheet, and paint from Colourcoats, Humbrol and Mr Paint. IMG_1456.JPGIMG_1458.JPGIMG_1463.JPGIMG_1462.JPGIMG_1464.JPGIt's a lovely kit to build, but beware of a very fragile windscreen (you may notice the crack in mine). I have a replacement ordered, but it's currently unavailable.

Thanks for looking,

Ian

• Like 37

I have a soft spot for Target Tugs, they're usually really colourful subjects which this very definitely is!

Top job there Ian, you've really done it justice.

Edited by Wez

Beautiful choice of colour scheme, very eye-catching and beautifully executed here.

Super work,

Eng

I too am a great target tug fan and you have done the subject justice. Did this Meteor just snatch the drogue from the ground as there is no winch or stowage ?

Well done, Trev.

I too am a great target tug fan and you have done the subject justice. Did this Meteor just snatch the drogue from the ground as there is no winch or stowage ?

Well done, Trev.

AFAIK, the banner was laid out on the ground with the cable laid out going back and forth a few times until the free end was attached to to a catch on the rear end of the ventral tank.

The aircraft would accelerate away down the runway and when the cable became taught, the banner would be dragged off the ground, hopefully the towing aircraft had achieved a reasonable airspeed by this point. I believe the banner could be released at the end of the sortie before landing. Simple but effective.

I don't know whether the catch at the back of the tank had a shear mechanism built into it to prevent snatched loads damaging the aircraft.

It take some bottle pootling around whilst trusting your fellow aviators to shoot at the target being dragged along a few hundred feet behind you! If it was me I'd want my aircraft to be much more highly visible.

Thats superb Ian, lovely paint job!!

My dad did a stint at Sylt when he was at Jever in the late 50's, suspect he would have come across the Meteor!

Cheers

Simon

Very nice indeed Ian,....... that is a scheme that I`ve always fancied doing too,...... you will be a hard act to follow!!

Cheers

Tony

Great build,great paint job!.

The drogue/banner was attached by the armourers after the pilot had lined up with the runway.

After the sortie it was released low over the airfield for them to recover,sometimes without

a single hole in it!.On one trip I was riding the back seat of the T7 tug when the drogue decided

to leave,its like being shot out of a catapult when it releases,but the cable would not drop,we had

to land with it on.We heard next day it had gone through a factory roof in Aberdeen,luckily without

injuring anyone,there were four x seven pound weights along one edge of the drogue to keep it vertical

in the air.

• Like 1