PA-28-181 Archer

Hi, Si

Tony is obviously more knowledgeable about this subject, as I never heard about any other kit in larger scale than Academy's. Apart from early, non-tapered wing an early Cherokee 140 is also shorter and lacks a third window on the fuselage. I do not know if that matters to you, but IIRC Academy kit is actually in 1/50 scale.

If you decide to go down the conversion path, old 1/72 Airfix Cherokee Arrow is probably better starting point. Speaking from a top of my head one needs to shorten the aft part of the cowling for about 1 mm, cover wheel wells and build fixed undercarriage from scratch and, of course, build new wings outside the center section. Also, Airfix kit have been around for quite a while and certainly shows its age. However, I would still prefer all that to cutting and lengthening the fuselage of a Cherokee 140 kit.

As Tony said, good luck. Cheers and happy modelling

Jure

• Like 1

Or, if you think £50 is not excessive for a 1/72nd light aircraft, there appears to be an Aero-Modell resin kit of the Archer available on eBay, along with a couple of other PA-28s.

If they ever turn up in Home Bargains, I may buy one!