MFH 1/12 BT52B

Bit of a rescue mission completed...you can't see in the pictures above, but I made a right cock up on the right hand side panel, by managing to get a CA glue finger print right in the middle of a nice clean part of blue...then made an even bigger mess trying to get it off quickly - don't ask...

Had to sand back, without damaging the Parmalat clear-coat-sealed decal, or the lower white stripe, then mask, and with my freshly arrived replacement Zero paint BT52 blue paint, repaint the front section. This spray painting lark is all new to me, so was afraid of big ridges in the paint, mis-matched colours etc - but that zero base coat goes on very well, just building up layers, until it matched the surrrounding paint - removed the masking tape and just a faint line, but he lined it up with the text, so you hardly notice it. Re-sprayed the clear coat and it looks good! Pics tomorrow....phew!

The **** up!!

IMG_1527.jpg

Gave the whole panel a very very light sand to clean a few other bits and bobs off - just had to be careful not to get down to the decal...

You can just see where the issue was, but I'm ok with this - just happy to save it and not make it any worse!

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

Did the other side again as well, as there was a very slight similar mark...

IMG_1987.jpg

I can see why people get obsessive about the paint finish...I am a convert to the Zero paints, although I suspect this dark blue colour is a particularly easy one to spray...

Also added the last layer of paint to the floor detail, which brought the dark blue into line with the other panels - you do have to build up the colour with these paints, and my paint spillage meant that the floor had one less layer - you could see the difference in previous pictures...

IMG_1991.jpg

Right - mini disaster averted - onwards!

• Like 2

That's very true @caterhamnut you can't be too careful.

Personally I'd not be that bothered by the spot as it is now. You'd have to look closely to see it and, courtesy to the high quality standards you set for this build, I would most probably reckon you applied it intentionally, making it appear as if the car had gently 'kissed the wall' at one point during qualification or race.

• Like 2

Hi There Caterhamnut!

Been watching this from the sidelines,I am deeply impressed with Your build!:thumbsup:

I've been on Hiroboys' site many times looking at the MFH Kits (many tongue marks on the monitor :lol:), and Your build has seriously made Me consider converting some of My stash into MFH Vouchers!!

Seriously!

I know they are a lot of dosh, but the time/enjoyment factor that can be had from them makes it a worthwhile proposition.

I have some Zero Paint in hand to do the Tamiya 1/12 Honda RA273,so I'm glad to hear it gets the thumbs-up!

Keep the posts coming!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete

Edited by morty_3333

Impressive that you got that back - I have been there but had to live with the results. Post havoc the part is better than I manage.

Very impressed with the build so far and the other four or is it five threads you currently have running

Nick

Applied some more decals to the body work - pretty straight forward, and the decals conformed to the curves well...one issue with the white decals is that where you are applying any overlaps - you see the white...whiter! Actually, in daylight it is hardly noticeable...

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

It is gradually coming together. Lots of details to add - and the exhaust/turbo/rads.

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2037.jpg

some nice PE parts.

Source photos show how the two end exhaust pipes are chrome with some heat stains, whilst the rest is that dark, metallic brown colour,as well as the turbo etc.
This is the first pass, but I think it works ok. I used Alclad chrome on the exhaust pipes (after spraying gloss black) and then a little pale gold on the manifold ends, with a hint of clear blue to give some localised colour.

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

I dulled the manifolds back a little after these shots. Still some tweaking.

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

Daylight! I do 90% of my work in the evening with a small lamp, hence the crap photos - I'll get he kit in the light box soon...

IMG_2070.jpg

IMG_2067.jpg

• Like 1

If you have many PE parts that need folding, worth investing in one of these PE clamps.

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

...and also one of these diamond files for getting rid of the little PE joining nibs - you can see one just under the file in this shot...

IMG_2035.jpg

the file works very smoothly and does no grab or snag...

This flat sheet had to be folded a few times, which took a bit or thinking in terms of what order you fold, whilst still being able to clamp!

IMG_2040.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

This part will be glued under the manifold, but first I have to fit a heat shield under it - made with embossed foil that comes with the kit. I'll do this last minute as I don't want to damage it as I work on other bits - like wiring.

Fitted the engine subframe to the front - so goodbye to all that pulley work - will see even less when it is mounted to the main tub bulkhead.

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

A few other shots...

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

I've also started to add all the pipe ends and fittings ready for winding - the blue and red bits...

...lots of touching up to do with paint.

• Like 2