MFH 1/12 BT52B

Thanks for the swift answer, I'll look into those 1/20 decals.

Your riveting is great, admired that in previous posts already.

It is obvious that you are looking for the best possible details so I hope you don't mind me saying that I think your steering wheel looks a bit overtextured.

0.jpg

I think I'd just use black matte paint, airbrushed from a distance so that the finish will be slightly grainy.

Edited by Roy vd M.
  • Like 1

Hi Roy - yeah, I kinda agree. That is why I tried without and just used Tamiya Black Rubber first - but I decided to try a little contrast. To be fair, the light in the pictures above picks up the texture maybe a little more than is apparent in the flesh - but I am going to 'rub off' the flour a little to give that worn suede effect...

I agree that often the texture people add to the steering wheels and seats looks too strong.

In this case, the 'real' car looks to have a smooth leather/plastic seat (ie not 'fluffy') and the kit comes with a nicely molded set of rubber pads that look great, so I shall use those as-is.

Just need to construct the seat belts first....

Absolutely stunning work there mate, you must have the patience of a saint.

Roy vd M if your looking for decent carbon decal sheets have a look at a company called Scale Motorsport the decal sheets they do are really great and so easy to work with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So this was brave!
had to trim a small piece of the resin tub to enable the PE strip to fit properly. managed to not damage any of the carbon bits!

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

Can't assemble the front suspension until I have fixed the side panel - can't do that until it is sprayed blue. Was waiting for the Zero BT52 paint to arrive, which it just did, so I cleaned up and primed the main body parts - I've never used Zero paints before, so I wanted to do all the big bits at the same time so everything matched - wings will come later...
Also had to  paint some radiator and side pod parts the body colour before assembling.

Some mocking up...

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Used Tamiya Fine Surface Primer....

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

So here goes with the paint. Followed advice and tutorials from here, and built the color up gradually - in these pictures we are about halfway through the layers - here the paint looks light and metallic, but after a few more coats it became darker....loved the way it went on - very easy to build up. I'm not using 2K clear coat - I simply don't have the space/location to use the potent stuff - so I am using the Zero pre-mixed 1K clearcoat...

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

Managed to get paint on all the stuff I needed before disaster struck!

IMG_1453.jpg

Cock!

Got some wall and floor re-painting to do now aswell - and have had to order another Zero blue paint, having spilt over half a 60ml bottle all over the wall and floor - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, roymattblack said:

This is just engineering in miniature.

Sorry - but I've pinched loads of stuff from you for my 1/8 builds.

Roy.

:blush: - coming from you roy that is very very much appreciated. But really I have to give credit to the kit - I'm just following instructions....now to be able to scratch build like you do....

But fantastic if you have found some stuff to use - that is very much going both ways, and learning from the talent on here encourages me and many others to try this stuff....

I was more annoyed that I would then run out of paint while I was spraying all the body work, but JUST managed to salvage enough to finish the bulk - more on order for the wings etc!

I clear coated last night with the 1K lacquer from Zero - it seemed to go on pretty well actually - I am impressed with the Zero paint not running - unlike rattle cans can - same with the clear...I'm happy with the finish - there is a little 'texture' where maybe I should have polished the base coat - or even primer - slightly, but to be honest with this '82 model, I'm not trying for 'mirror finish' - maybe for the McLaren MP4/23 that will be different.
Anyway - this is the first coats to enable me to decal, so then there will be another round of clear coat over that...
The photos tend to show the 'texture' way more than you can actually see - but you can see how much darker the paint becomes once you build up the layers - the first pictures above show the first very thin application...

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

Overall I'm pretty pleased - I just wish I had a 'shed' - spraying in a NYC apartment on the 29th floor is not ideal - can't pop outside and ventilate etc!

First time I've sprayed 'bodywork' and first time with Zero paint - I'm a convert in terms of building up the layers and the way they spray on. I'd like to try 2K but just can't at this point in my home life - maybe in the future when I am back in the UK...

I can start applying the decals now, which will cover a lot of what you see - all the white on the car is decal, so we will see if the blue shows through much!

• Like 5

I don't know if you can get Mr Hobby leveling thinner over there, but if you can add a little to Zero's 1k clear

It drys very smooth, and you can mist just the thinner over the clear once you have sprayed to get a really smooth finish

As I thought - absolutely no issue with the white decals - they are thick enough (not necessarily a good thing, I know) or rather 'solid' enough to remain bright white when on the navy blue...now of course we'll see how well they conform to some of the curves - I've only done a bit of flat work so far!!

IMG_1465.jpg

Time for some more 'mocking up' - loving this scale! Nothing glued or fixed here, so ignore panel gaps, funny angles etc!!

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Now the decals - again, photos are of decals in progress of being added, so ignore any stains or streaks at this stage...I'm also going to find time to get the model into the decent photo cube for some better pictures - it has been a while!

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

You can see why the side panels had to be painted, decaled and then clear coated before assembly - the front suspension goes through that hole...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caterhamnut said:

You can see why the side panels had to be painted, decaled and then clear coated before assembly - the front suspension goes through that hole...

I'm having exactly the same issue with my McLaren... two small panels being surrounded by suspension bits and pieces, so they have to be painted, decaled and coated first... whole build order had to be changed.

I must say you're doing a great job. What an interesting and rare subject in a wonderful scale... good stuff!

Just be careful if your over coating the decals with Zero clear, it's a hot clear and if you go to heavy too soon to get a gloss finish the decals will disintegrate, especially Cartograf decals.

Don't ask me how I know, sorry if it seems I teaching someone to suck eggs so to speak

QUESTION:

I've applied the decals as you can see - I need to polish off the smears etc caused by the decal solution etc before applying another clearcoat - what is the best way to do this - obviously something very light - polishing solution like this?

FullSizeRender.jpg

- just to clean it up?

Thanks guys - next question at end of this piece!

So this large decal was a bit daunting...needed 3+ hands.

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

....but it went on quite well, and was 'thick' enough to allow me to play with it for a while, re-lift and re-position to line things up etc...

IMG_1513.jpg

2f20c67f-be56-4841-96c6-57d2da6b2338.jpg

However, I have some creases around a cure point - what is the best way to get rid of these? They have tightened a bit on drying, but I guess I need to revisit this area locally with decal solution?

IMG_1511.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Ron...

I use those solutions, so hopefully re-applying, and gentle heat will gradually pull the creases out... already one crease has pulled itself out as the decals dried over night.

I sprayed over the flat cockpit side panels last night, sealing the Parmalat decal and luckily nothing peeled, bubbled, clouded or pitted! Quite chuffed with the result (first time with Zero and indeed any clear coat) and looking forward to adding these colour panels to the rest of the build! Sister visiting NYC this week, so there will likely be a break...

The spotlight doesn't do the pictures any favours - you can't really see any marks in the daylight...next time I might spend a bit more time sanding/smoothing the primer. I have not polished these panels yet either....

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

• Like 3