MFH 1/12 BT52B

More chassis work - rivets!
The kit comes with white metal cast rivets, which are fine - but I have used MFH 'machined' rivets I purchased separately (may not be machined, but not cast - so cleaner)

IMG_0109.jpg

Photos of the real car shows these rivets to be black, with a few shiny ones. I have knocked back the polished rivets with the panel line stuff shown - I want some of the shine to still come through, so I didn't just paint the rivets. Also, the panel line stuff is very thin, so does not hide the detail of the rivets. No way I was going to paint these once fitted to the chassis.

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Actually quite quick once you get started. The rivets are soft enough to cut down with a knife once threaded through the resin chassis - they need to be trimmed as the rear bulkhead fits there...

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Same treatment required on the front part of the tub - later.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

• Like 1

Adding bulkhead detail.

DSCN1896.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Those little bolts that fix the black panel to the bulkhead were the biggest paint so far!! SOOOO small and hard to hold as you try and puch them into the hole, without any glue showing! Lost one.

Lots of wiring and finishing to do still - but trying to get the construction part of the sub-assemblies sorted first, as I will only damage the wiring if I did that first!

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

Of course had to add the engine to see how it all looks (just placed in position)

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

A few other basic chassis detail added.

IMG_0133.jpg

• Like 1

Right - back from more work travels. Really does get in the way - but enables me to buy MFH....so...

Started more chassis work - carbon decals on the top of the tub and dash area. Decals went on well - even on those curvy bits. Will add rivets tonight...

This is a resin part - I had already drilled the holes, now sprayed semi-gloss black - although it is covered by decal it means any tiny gaps will be less visible (and of course the underside needs painting anyway)

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

The rivets will make the separation between components look better - without the carbon just looks mis-matched!

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

• Like 1

Right - more (many more!) rivets added!

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

Same method as before - I have used panel line liquid to darken the rivets slightly, not worried if it rubs off randomly, as the 'real' car looks like that...

Lots of them!

IMG_1086.jpg

Sprayed with satin clear...

IMG_1090.jpg

Have to trim all these - certainly at the edge so that the part fits on top of the chassis...

IMG_1094.jpg

So it isn't sitting properly here:

IMG_1091.jpg

Also got a new toy - magnetic polisher, I've got far too many very small parts to clean that now I think it becomes worthwhile!

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning work mate, well done. Quick question where did you buy your spray parts holder.

Looks very similar to the ones that Foredom provide with their pendant drills. Look up 'revolving burr holder' on eBay...they're quite cheap.

Lovely build BTW! Just catching up through the pages. You've have some great modelling skills!

Edited by vontrips

This car was referred to as 'the missile' by some journalists on the F1 circuit

Pity Patrese did not win the San Marino GP

Beautiful work, well done !!

Edited by sharknose156

You're doing a wonderful job there!

DSCN1888.jpg

How did you cut those hole; using a circle cutter?

Also, what brand and type of decals did you use? They look great... I heard that some 1/12-scale designated decals don't seem to resemble that scale so I'm looking for good CF decals for my McLaren MP4/6.

Hi Roy - cut the holes on the carbon with a scalpel. MFH provide a plain sheet of carbon, and a cutting pattern on a sheet, so lots of cutting out and trimming! Went on very well though - decal came with the kit, and looks good...

A lot of people use carbon decals that atre designed for 1/20 scale, for the 1/12 scale...

Detail stuff...seems a shame to spray these wheels, but have to...

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

...but no choice!

More riveting on the chassis nose...

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

See that little shiny dot on the green mat, right of the box - that is a rivet for that orange box - absolute b*gger to actually handle!

IMG_1232.jpg

IMG_1234.jpg

This little radiator on the gearbox is 'hollow' - so the light shines through the mesh and shows that there is nothing in...I added some folded black paper to block the light. You can't see it behind the mesh now it is dark...

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

The snail shell behind the rad is to cover the turbo - it is a carbon heat shield that comes as a vacuum formed part in the MFH kit - a b*gger to cut out neatly and level. The kit says spray black, but pictures show the carbon , so I will try and add carbon decal to it...

IMG_1197.jpg

Spent a lot of time 'sorting' detail bags (bolts etc) - still looking for the easiest solution!

IMG_1221.jpg

The smallest PE parts in the kit - needles from the dash!

IMG_1231.jpg

Steering wheel - I was just going to use Tamiya 'black rubber' to paint the rim, but succumbed to using a texture, as the contrast wasn't enough. I used flour, as I wanted as fine as possible - looks ok!

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

• Like 5