MFH 1/12 BT52B

Absolutely phenomenal work; not a lot of other superlatives I can say that haven't already been said. 

As someone entirely new to auto modelling (bitten by the bug having visited Goodwood Revival 4 years ago) I wonder how you achieve the very smooth surface paint finish? I've just started my first kit (Fujimi 330 P4, before I tackle an MFH 917), and can't seem to avoid dust particles on the model surface when priming & applying colours. Are you using a spray booth (i notice you said you have to spray indoors)? Or is it simply a case of surface blemishes & dust are unavoidable and simply have to be sanded and buffed out with every coat?

Hi Rob - my paint finish is well below the standards of many on here! This is the first 'bodywork' I have sprayed...

I have one of those grey spray boxes (with LEDS) that you can find everywhere - small fan sucking, filter etc - works really well. Dust is still an issue - make sure the box itself is clean - the over-spray tends to form paint dust, which is worth vacuuming out before the next job - and get lots of the removable filters to replace regularly - I got a bulk pack of 10 from ebay - much cheaper that way. Top tip I saw on here, as soon as you spray, cover the model with an up-turned plastic container (tupperware) while it dries!

• Like 1

Right - got a good bit of work done this weekend....mainly wiring!

A few decals...

IMG_8640.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

IMG_8649.jpg

At this point I am just adding wires - they all need to be tied up etc later! I'm keen to fix the ones underneath, so I can 'mount' the rear of the chassis to the front...once the rads are fixed, access will be very difficult!

IMG_8650.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

Ok - has ANYONE managed to use these damn MFH tie wraps successfully?!!! This is one of only 2 I have managed to use - the 15 others have always snapped when trying to thread - a real pain - cannot recommend them I am afraid.

IMG_8664.jpg

Had a few fittings break as I try and fit wire - lesson learnt - epoxy is better in some places, than the CA I have exclusively used - I 'pinned/pegged' many fittings this weekend - especially during the engine fitting, that required lots of shoving and bending!

IMG_8672.jpg

I like the heat shrink tube, that you heat to get nice and small - much easier to thread onto pins, and the tiny writing looks cool!

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

Quite a few foil-wrapped cables and wires - kit uses self adhesive foil that works well - to represent heat protection, particularly around the exhaust and turbo...

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8684.jpg

IMG_8680.jpg

IMG_8683.jpg

IMG_8687.jpg

At this point I was impatient to fix the engine, rads etc together, and into the car. This is a b*gger of a job, as there are many 'hard' pipes that connect everything together - ali-water pipes etc - and you have to fit both ends at the same time to hold it all together - you have to glue, but also accept that you then have to line everything up as the whole sub-assembly is lifted onto the floor of the car, and then attached to the bulkhead - but there were no short cuts here - I still had wiring to do that would be impossible to do later...

IMG_8689.jpg

...including on the bulkhead itself...

IMG_8696.jpg

...and the electrical box on the chassis floor.

IMG_8711.jpg

You can see from these shots, how many pipes there are that connect the rads to each side. This process is made more difficult by the fact that all this is very heavy! Its all white metal, no resin.The rads are fixed to triangular frames that swing out into position, so everything is moving around as well, until fixed to the floor!

IMG_8706.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

Nothing is fixed in those shots.

So - it was back to more wiring...

IMG_8699.jpg

(yes, the belt has come off!)

IMG_8702.jpg

IMG_8698.jpg

But finally I reached a point where I felt I could join it all up.....

• Like 2

IMG_8710.jpg

So, it was in with the big lump! It fixes by 4 locating pics on the bulkhead, and there is one model screw up from the base into the engine block. It weighs a ton, but is well supported by the floor once in position - the floor fixes to the cockpit base with 4 screws and a decent surface area.

But lifting it into place whilst trying to flex radiators apart, stop tubes popping off etc etc is a real job!

IMG_8712.jpg

IMG_8713.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

Gradually closes up...

IMG_8717.jpg

At this point I realized I was going to have to separate rear chassis floor from bulkhead/tub to get to some tubes to fit - luckily I had not applied any glue at this point, so no big deal...

IMG_8718.jpg

Mainly because of this little pipe, which you will probably never see again, but it slipped!

IMG_8720.jpg

Had to prop the engine up to the level it would be once supported by the bulkhead - so heavy (for a kit!)

IMG_8727.jpg

IMG_8726.jpg

Eventually got it glued in place.

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8724.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

So it was then back to sliding everything together again!

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8731.jpg

IMG_8732.jpg

...and refitting/tweaking all the water pipes that had moved, or needed squeezing in...

IMG_8733.jpg

Both the silver pipe and the thin black pipe in the photo above are metal.

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8736.jpg

But eventually everything seemed to fit together - amazing!

IMG_8735.jpg

At some point in the process, one of the cans on the top of the cam cover came off - no issue, just glued it back after all the mucking around...

• Like 1

Thanks guys - sorry about 'teaser' :) - just ran out of time to post the other pictures...

A bit pic heavy I'm afraid!

...of course I could not resist adding the bodywork to see how it was looking - the rear section fits ok, but the front will need some work over the front suspension. Although to be honest, I am not likely to want to hide all that chassis work, so may display 'sans bodywork'.

IMG_8753.jpg

IMG_8749.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg

IMG_8742.jpg

IMG_8752.jpg

back to more fittings...

IMG_8764.jpg

Then, after the distraction of an accident down on the street below...

P1010494.jpg

...I set up the photo cube for some sexy shots. Loads to still do, but it is nice doing these shots because it makes the model look so cool! (So lots of wires don't go anywhere yet!)

I added the decals to the wheels, and used some TS air valves - the kit came with some of course, but these are a little sharper...

P1010427.jpg

So - now a shed load of pictures! Photos not cropped or edited yet - just for ref. I need a bigger cube, as this model is now really long!

Jobs to do - find the front wing end plates!! Rear wing, lots more detail wiring, wing mirrors and fittings....

P1010442.jpg

P1010437.jpg

P1010436.jpg

P1010445.jpg

You can see I have also added the brake cooling ducts....

P1010446.jpg

P1010447.jpg

P1010450.jpg

P1010452.jpg

7f572c7b-9add-4dea-ab51-5c13b0c93cb0.jpg

P1010461.jpg

P1010467.jpg

P1010464.jpg

P1010472.jpg

430c4d03-bad7-4fa8-a9ea-77f38d265b8c.jpg

P1010478.jpg

P1010482.jpg

P1010480.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

IMG_8794.jpg

IMG_8808.jpg

...and next, my favorite shots - getting those big slicks on!

• Like 3

Incidentally - once I have finished this kit I will do a 'write up' about the experience. Although I started a few engines at once, this will be my first finished MFH kit - in fact any kit for decades!

I have hidden the cock-ups well, and the light cube makes anything look good, so a quick mention of my process and the mistakes I have made, what i would do differently etc may be of help...

Right - those slicks...

IMG_8776.jpg

I fitted these to a dremel and ran them whilst holding coarse sand paper to get that scrubbed-in look.

P1010532.jpg

P1010518.jpg

P1010522.jpg

P1010524.jpg

P1010527.jpg

P1010529_1.jpg

P1010536.jpg

P1010521.jpg

P1010516.jpg

IMG_8842.jpg

IMG_8850.jpg

IMG_8841.jpg

....and next a few shots with bodywork literally just placed in situ - not fixed down, or tabbed etc, so ignore the panel gaps!!

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8828.jpg

P1010490.jpg

P1010493.jpg

P1010501.jpg

P1010506.jpg

P1010510.jpg

P1010507.jpg

P1010514.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

IMG_8830.jpg

IMG_8834.jpg

....and that is it for now.

I think the main reason for the positive responses to this kit is that it is a beautiful car - so pure, and shaped like a rocket. There are so many 'red' kits, and McLarens, that this blue just looks a bit different. Thanks you Gordon Murray!!

• Like 5

Hi Caterhamnut!!

First time I've looked in for a while and.....WOW!

First class work here,You shoild be very proud of Your achievments with this kit,I understand that they are not the easiest to build,so that must make it all the more satisfying!

Are Your thoughts moving to what You next project will be,as this approaches completion?

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,  Pete (From Jolly 'ole England! :D)

Lovely stuff. Stunning build.

Ok - has ANYONE managed to use these damn MFH tie wraps successfully?!!! This is one of only 2 I have managed to use - the 15 others have always snapped when trying to thread

No. I went though half a packet and couldn't get one to hold without it breaking, they're just way too fragile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice clear middle-of-the-night hrs to welcome F1 back meant I could get on with some bits and bobs..

IMG_9854.jpg

Some more wiring - given up on the MFH tie-wraps - just cannot get more than 1 in 10 to work...

IMG_9855.jpg

Wings needed more decals, and I did a bit of sanding, respraying the large main wing section. The white decals go on well enough - but they are thick, the clear coat almost exaggerates this...

IMG_9875.jpg

IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9879.jpg

IMG_9882.jpg

Folded the gurney flap pieces - not sure if I will use these or not...the potential for mucking them up and damaging the rest of the paint finish is high!

IMG_9868.jpg

One of these PE folding clamps is vital for this sort of thing.

So then I went off-piste a bit. The inside of the cockpit is flat black and quite rough - laid-up carbon fiber/composite. Having just done the laundry, I thought I would try using the USED laundry dryer fragrance tissues, and line the inside of the bodywork, sticking it down with watered down PVA glue.
I know that tissue paper has been used to create this rough (smooth-rough!) effect but it is quite delicate - thought I would give it a go - these USED tissues are actually very tough, so easy to pull around and handle. I say used because the pre-used ones are stiffer and full of....smell!

I'll hand paint this area tonight with flat black and see how it looks...it might be too crude...

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_9872.jpg

IMG_9874.jpg

• Like 3

I smoothed it out more last night, and hopefully I'll add some black tonight and we'll see how it looks - bit of an experiment, but I'm hoping it will look ok! Going from pics of the real car, the finish is not like those laid-up carbon sheet finished you see on the MP4/4 chassis - more like the inside of a GRP canoe we used to make at school!
I also added the radiator mesh covers - gradually getting there - last big job is going to be that very complex rear wing!

IMG_9894.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9893.jpg

IMG_9891.jpg

• Like 3

Right - I'm pleased with the results - the photos maybe exaggerate the texture through reflections, and I will make the finish more matt - but overall, as a first time impulse experiment I think I have got away with it!

IMG_9901.jpg

This photo makes it look rougher than it is...

IMG_9903.jpg

IMG_9902.jpg

IMG_9904.jpg

IMG_9905.jpg

IMG_9907.jpg

A final few photos of the additional wiring I have finished...

IMG_9908.jpg

IMG_9909.jpg

IMG_9911.jpg

IMG_9910.jpg

Lots of little small jobs to do - I'll touch up all the paint at the end, but i wanted to tweak the colour of the gear changing rod joints, MFH said orange, but pictures of the real car show a darker red-brown colour...

Both shown here:

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

IMG_9926.jpg

Paint on the wire rods is a bugger not to scratch, so more touching up on that later!

• Like 1

Typical of these models - I noticed this tie rod had come off the roll bar (I assume) attachment arm...so I carefully re-attached the components - and then proceeded to cover this area, never to be seen again!!

IMG_9933.jpg

IMG_9936.jpg

Two small access panels cover the area around the wishbones and steering arms. They fit ok - awkward to reach, but the fit is good. The TINY washers and quarter-turn fittings are just for show - and TINY!

IMG_9928_1.jpg

IMG_9929.jpg

IMG_9942.jpg

IMG_9938.jpg

IMG_9940.jpg

IMG_9945.jpg

IMG_9948.jpg

IMG_9953.jpg

IMG_9952.jpg

Top tip - the turntable you can see in these pictures came with the generic grey spray booth (as far as I remember) - VERY useful at this stage of the build - the rear of the model is VERY heavy (hence the offset) and twirling the model around on this as opposed to constantly lifting and turning it is so much easier, and puts less stress on the kit...

This final photo shows the size of the car (scale on the cutting mat) - anyone know where I can get a display case this big? I don't mean to 'display' - more to protect!

IMG_9954.jpg

• Like 1