MFH 1/12 BT52B

Here we go - another 1/12 on the go! Engine first obviously...for my F1 engine 'group-shot' plan.

IMG_3570.jpg

So a bit of 'un-boxing', as I have shown with my other kits. Its nice to show the parts and detail in these MFH kits, and maybe encourage others to give one a go.
Usual folder of instructions, decals, foils and PE parts.

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

This instruction manual seems to be quite a few pages more than some others I have...

IMG_3574.jpg

Templates for carbon, foil and ali sheet...

IMG_3589.jpg

Very nice PE parts, including radiator mesh, clips, paint masks, wing endplates, pins etc etc

IMG_3642.jpg

IMG_3643.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3646.jpg

IMG_3649.jpg

Pack of other detail parts - seat belt ribbon, clear parts, rods, pins, tie-wraps etc...

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

Wheels and tyres always look cool - turned ali hubs, molded tyres including the 'Michelin' logo, and lots of other tyre info molded into the rubber - also there seems to be a very nice mildly-buffed feel to the tyres - won't need to scrub them in much or remove any mold lines (on the contact surface anyway)

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3611.jpg

IMG_3613.jpg

IMG_3616.jpg

On to the metal components - usual plastic-ziploc-bags-in-bubble-wrap packaging......grrrrr

IMG_3593.jpg

Lots and lots of bits!

IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

lovely details....

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

The legend...

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

Nice seat belt buckle...

IMG_3658.jpg

...and a LOT of rivets!

IMG_3663.jpg

This kit seems slightly cheaper than other recent 1/12 kits - I think it is because it is such a simple, pure shape, there is less 'bodywork' than other kits!

IMG_3619.jpg

Resin parts very crisp...

IMG_3624.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

And here is where most of those rivets will end up!

IMG_3623.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

As before, I'll start with the engine...

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3625.jpg

• Like 4

You know what Paul, you'd be surprised I think.

These kits are made so well, that actually I do not think one needs to be in any way 'expert' modeller to make them - I'm back into this game after last making kits about 30 years ago.

It is really finishing, cleaning parts etc - they go together so well. You don't need to source 'extra detail' bits, everything is included - you CAN add detail if you like of course...sure, they are an 'investment' but well worth it - especially if you have a particular fondness for the subject....

TBH - having said all that, it is the bodywork paint that is scaring me! Getting that perfect finish and decals.....!

Pics coming...

• Like 1

Riiiight - here we go.
Made a start over the holiday weekend.
Pics are rubbish - I'll take some in the light box/cube later - but these are just WIP for now.

Started with the engine. Apart from the bodywork, there are very few resin parts. Main block and gearbox are two of them.
Tried some basic test fitting, but to be honest everything goes together very well.

IMG_3762.jpg

IMG_3764.jpg

IMG_3767.jpg

On this kit I have decided to use some turned detail parts, like studs and bolts etc. So the biggest job in starting this engine was drilling out the ones that were cast into the parts - these would still look perfectly fine if you did not want to do this - but having built up a library of turned parts I figured I should start using them!

IMG_3778.jpg

Used the dremel/brass wire wheel method of cleaning the metal.

IMG_3777.jpg

I metal etched primed the metal parts, washed the resin parts, and sprayed with grey fine primer - all after first having removed any flash, mold lines etc etc - these were pretty minimal to be honest...

IMG_3815.jpg

Test fit - nothing glued as each element is a different colour!

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

In fact - here is the first 'blemish' I have come across in my minimal experience of MFH - a tiny bubble in the resin of the gearbox, where the 'end cap' fits. Easy fill and sand. I post this only to highlight how everything else seems to be perfect!

IMG_3775.jpg

Drilling off/out cast studs and bolts...

IMG_3823.jpg

I used Tamiya acrylic for the semi-gloss black, as usual...

IMG_3824.jpg

Used Alclad Ali for the castings - for whatever reason this sprayed a little rough - but that is perfect for this IMO - not as 'rough' as it shows in thes close up pictures actually...

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

I removed the top layer of black from these cam-covers/covers with a sanding block - and on the one with studs I used a scalpel blade to scrape the layer off. They look uneven as the light hits them in these rubbish pictures, but once cleaned slightly they should look ok.

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg

The gold parts are also Alclad - burnt exhaust I think but will check - MFH say a mix of silver and gold, so this pale colour is spot on IMO - pics here show it a bit more 'gold' that it appears in the flesh...

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

Not glued yet - tiny parts, heat shields etc to fit first, along with some wiring...

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

Very poor pictures - they make the black/silver/gold look a bit scrappy - I'll take some better ones!

• Like 4

I've been collecting metallic pens on my travels, for detail touching up.

I like to use different 'shades' of the colours to help give the detail a bit more '3D' - so much easier for small nuts and bolts.

The blue aeroquip hose fittings are also coloured using a blue metallic pen...

IMG_3900.jpg

Some lovely castings...

IMG_3932.jpg

This is one piece...I need to clean off/tidy my crude wash - although of course these very close-up photos make everything look much more crude than they appear!

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

...will add some turned detail bolts etc tonight I hope...

• Like 6

Looks fantastic. Watching your builds makes me want to get some MFH F1s!

For the drilling are you using a Dremel flex drive shaft? In the pics it looks like one. I was just curious as I have been hand drilling on the Pocher Bugatti. I am wondering if I should pick one up for future builds

Looks fantastic. Watching your builds makes me want to get some MFH F1s!

For the drilling are you using a Dremel flex drive shaft? In the pics it looks like one. I was just curious as I have been hand drilling on the Pocher Bugatti. I am wondering if I should pick one up for future builds

The Dremel spins way too fast for any kind of model building, I tried it with my minichuck and flex shaft and it instantly snapped the bit. You also have to be very careful with any kind of sanding and cutting with a dremel too, it can make a mess out of your model the moment it touches it. OK for some bits of scratch building but I wouldn't let mine anywhere near a Pocher. Not a chance.

Also that's not a dremel flex shaft it's just a standard hand held mini drill. ;)

Edited by Borez

In the picture you are looking at a hand-held pin-vise type drill - you either slide the collet up and down to spin, or in this case, just hand twist it to drill tiny holes!

I do use a dremel - cordless, and at very low speed. I use it to drill those bigger holes through metal (3mm plus) and you can control it for the smaller stuff - as long as you use a punch or pilot hole...I also use with the brass wire wheel to clean the metal.

Thanks all!

Ok - started to add a few nuts and bolts. Jeez these things are tiny!

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3968.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

and gearbox detail...

IMG_3978.jpg

Got a good bit of engine done at the weekend - including replacing bolt heads, a start on the gearbox and some 'proper' photos. Lots of wiring yet to do!

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

Damn small these things....

IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

Added PE parts...

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

These little spark plug clips are tiny - but actually fitted ok

IMG_4040.jpg

These straps are to hold the plug lead rail - they are molded like the MFH 'tie wraps' - but IMO in this use they are too fragile -as I curved them round to fit the rail, they both snapped/tore...

IMG_4039.jpg

I ended up using two straps made from foil sheet.

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

• Like 3

Took some nicer pics....please note - not in any way finished this engine - lots of fittings, wire, cables, touch-up painting etc still to do....

DSCN1745.jpg

DSCN1729.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

DSCN1731.jpg

DSCN1734.jpg

DSCN1735.jpg

DSCN1739.jpg

DSCN1742.jpg

Added the air intake - not glued into position, just for some pictures. Squares off the engine 'block' nicely...

DSCN1750.jpg

DSCN1753.jpg

DSCN1759.jpg

IMG_4081.jpg

DSCN1751.jpg

DSCN1767.jpg

DSCN1769.jpg

ummm - its going to look cool with all the plumbing :)

IMG_4131.jpg

• Like 6

ok - sorry.
I know this is picture overload!!

But I also tried some 'group shots' with the other F1 engines. I really need to bring these all up to the same level of wiring, plumbing and final paint etc...

DSCN1771.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

DSCN1782.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

Interesting how different the proportion of the wishbones etc are on these two gearboxes - the grey one is the MP4/4 - obviously the hubs will be different in the way they locate the wheel hub, but obviously the McLaren was a bit wider...

IMG_4118.jpg

• Like 3

Surgically clean and realistic 'Nut. Is CA the main adhesive you're using? Your joins are invisible so you've got a great technique.

Yes sir - not sure about clean, seen way cleaner on here :) - but yes, just CA. The super close up photos show up over gluing, but I find a dab of paint hides these.Same with the wash for detail - some needs cleaning up.

The close up pictures also show how you need to blow the dust off these guys! But as these are just 'WIP' I'll get away with it...

Good point. But wrapping every completed assembly loosely in plastic cling wrap or microfiber towels keeps the dust away. Most of my Roller's early assemblies are like that.