Wingnut Wings best rigging materials?

Beardie

Hi all,

I have just moved up to 1/32 scale for my WWI models and I was wondering what is the general consensus on materials for rigging. In my 1/48 scale builds I typically used invisible mending nylon and I have never tried EZ line or any other kind of elastic threads. The EZ line seems a bit expensive for what it is, is it really worth the money?

Do you all use turbuckles or is it more common just to glue rigging lines directly into drilled holes? I have seen a few builds using brass tubing to simulate turnbuckles but to my eye I don't find it very convincing.

Hey Beard!

Welcome to the world of Wingnut Wings! (other 1/32 WWI model manufacturers are available, but...) ;)

There are a number of very good products about and the best I have found is EZY-Line, which you can get from Paul at Little Cars here

As far as turnbuckles go, the ones that I have, and intend to use on all of my WnW kits, are from Gaspatch here

I hope that helps and I look forward to seeing the builds come together!

The first Wingnut kit I have is the Se.5a is there any particular material to imitate the aerodynamic rigging wire?

I bought a spool of fly fishing line for my DH.2. I believe it is 15 lb. test, and matched the dimensions WNW put in the kit instructions. Fly fishing line is flat, wider than it is thick, but at least here it all seems to come in gaudy colors as it is designed for people who are interested in seeing the line and where the far end of it is falling than whether it looks good on toy airplanes.

Eduard is now making generic PE wire, which includes a turnbuckle-like widening. Not as nice as Gaspatch, but probably a lot easier to use.

My own standby has been .010 stiff wire. Easy to work with, and once you rig a kit, what had been a flimsy model becomes quite strong. The old-timers weren't as stupid as we like to think they were.