She's fully bombed up now with ready use ammo, 5 rounds HE & 5 rounds smoke & charge cannisters. So with that I think the hull interior is finished. It does look like something is missing but once the turret is in place & the gun is into the space, it will be pretty full.

28568795181_9ea1515e18_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 34 by phil da greek, on Flickr

28568795141_c5212eca36_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 33 by phil da greek, on Flickr

The phone flash went off and washed out the first one, I'll try taking the next ones on the back of a cutting mat and see if the contrast in colours helps.

Next up is the detailing of the exterior.

Laters.

• Like 1

Hi Phil, I have a question with a sticker for a M109G Italeri, not where he goes because the plane does not indicate it.
I put a photo to see if you know your, as being also mounting a M09, you may have another one.

20160801_123119_zpsf0owavt7.jpg

Cheers Phil

Hi Francis,

I'm sorry mate that decal does not appear on my very limited AFV Club sheet & I haven't seen it on any photos either. It looks a bit like the one that goes on the wading screen in the Tamiya M113 kit, does your M109 have something similar?

What about inside? Does it go on the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the main compartment?

• Like 1

Getting to the point of final colour, just finishing off the little bits and pieces, big decision made, this bad boy is going to have it's spades down! I know, far too much excitement but there you go. I trimmed the spades a little so it looks like they are in the ground as opposed to on the ground.

28055141013_4877c5a5ef_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 35 by phil da greek, on Flickr

Lots of little bits still sat on sticks waiting for paint but they all go on after the final colour. Which will happen tomorrow.

Exciting innit?

• Like 2

phildagreek, on 02 Aug 2016 - 4:01 PM, said:

Hi Francis,

I'm sorry mate that decal does not appear on my very limited AFV Club sheet & I haven't seen it on any photos either. It looks a bit like the one that goes on the wading screen in the Tamiya M113 kit, does your M109 have something similar?

What about inside? Does it go on the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the main compartment?

Thank you very much for the reply, as Agent G said in another post, is what you are commenting on, and I saw in the M113 where it goes, on the screen that folds in the front, on the inside, but on the M109, nowhere I do not see something like that, and inside it can not be, because the kit does not include interiors ... mysteries ...cheers Phil :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Busy weekend working on this, getting Blackdog resin to fit onto / into AFV club with limited instruction. I spent a lot of Thursday on the internet looking at both real pictures & models, there is a lot of variation even before you get to the differences of being on exercise and on operations. This means that I have stopped worrying about total accuracy for one particular vehicle because I have yet to see two that are identical.

If I was the type to count rivets this might cause me some distress, but I'm not so it doesn't.

I like to build in multiple sub assemblies & then fit together at the end, so late on Friday after a final inspection I decided the interior was complete with no obvious bits missing or laid on the bench. Early Saturday I checked again and decided to go for the big job of putting turret to chassis. With a metal barrel and quite a bit of resin on it the turret is a hefty bit of kit and once on I didn't want it moving so checking all my levels I bonded with a little two part epoxy & left it.

Nothing was done on it until yesterday when it was confirmed the turret was on and not budging with everything level - yay! About 30 seconds later I noted the drop down radio leads sat on the bench that were supposed to be inside - boo!

Pictures below show where we are right now, hatches on & waiting for glue / paint / varnish to go off. It's getting there but still a way to go.

28227409184_9c9011264c_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 36 by phil da greek, on Flickr

28768896711_179f7ec846_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 37 by phil da greek, on Flickr

28844848855_f670a9fdde_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 38 by phil da greek, on Flickr

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 2

Progress. Nearing the finish line, various bits being added, lots of final decisions being made. Couple of quick update pics:

28294513674_8dd5410985_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 39 by phil da greek, on Flickr

28294513794_b600c7ff0d_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 40 by phil da greek, on Flickr

For those of you paying attention, you'll note the lead from the generator has been replaced with something a little thinner, same piece of wire I removed the insulating and painted the wire black, it just looked too big. Kit is being added, I'm making the six (I think they are personal kit bags) that are seen hanging on the outside in every picture. The Blackdog set doesn't include any & the two GPMGs are drying on their mountings.

How will it be presented when finished? Thank you for asking, here's a little teaser for you.

28294515984_eb4fbcbd39_c.jpgM109 - DOHER 41 by phil da greek, on Flickr

Obviously early days with that, the gun has a crew of six, so with one of the chaps studying his maps inside, I have 5 figures to sort, I have them just they need painting and posing, couple having a gossip and at least one doing a stock take on some ammo and I fancy the idea of one in the turret, maybe with some binos and a headset on, listening out for the next fire mission.

What did Winston say? "This is not the end, nor is it the beginning of the end, it is the end of the beginning"

Still a ways to go, thanks for looking in!

• Like 1

Almost done, I think this will be the last update before we're finished.

Photos show where I'm at, mostly completed with a final wash to go on and a couple of little bits like smoke grenades and water bottles to go on with the radio aerials last of all.

28757061560_411c3de9fe_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 42 by phil da greek, on Flickr

28757061910_7e4f44a448_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 43 by phil da greek, on Flickr

28757061980_c766c84e05_c.jpgM109 DOHER - 44 by phil da greek, on Flickr

It's been a challenge at times but I'm glad I've persevered & the finish line is within sight.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1