New 1/72 Eduard Spitfire IXc

Giorgio N

The Nimrod problem did occurr and has been discussed here before. Interchangeability of parts on aircrafts (or any other man-made object) depends on a number of factors and among them are the original manufacturing technique and the tolerances allowed. Prototypes or even aircrafts built in small numbers are built one-by-one and are more likely to have problems with parts interchangeability. Aicrafts built in large numbers using standard tooling designed for large production lines are much more likely to have no problem. The Spitfire was one such aircraft and while some parts may have still needed some "persuasion" to fit another aircraft, it was possible to swap parts relatively easily. The same is true of many other aircrafts of the day and there is plenty of evidence of aircrafts with panels or even larger parts coming from other aircrafts. One good example is a well known Macchi Mc.202 that served for a while with one wing from another aircraft in a totally different camouflage scheme. If a wing could be replaced on a Macchi, that was built using less than state of the art techniques, then almost any other aircraft could have a wing replaced.

Hi Giorgio

once again, thank you for clearing things up. I'm glad I wasn't imagining the Nimrod wing thing! Interesting about the MC202, my knowledge of Italian military aviation could be written on the back of a lentil but I am now going to do some Googling and have a look for this aircraft.

One of the RAF's captured JU88s was found to fly a 'bit funny'. On investigation, it was found they had rebuilt it with wings from two different marks

Hi Dave

Do you have any more detail about this aircraft? I'm looking to start a small collection of captured german aircraft and this one sounds like it might be an intersting candidate.

Ah, another survivor of the Rave/Warehouse scene--?

Sadly not Roman, my clubbing stopped just as the rave scene was coming in. I always thought that (with a few exceptions) most of the DJs/MCs/Bands took the scene too far for me. I preferred late Punk and early Manchester but The Prodigy, The Shamen, KLFstill float my musical boat :winkgrin:

Cheers gents!

Hi Everyone,

I measured the Eduard kit and posted an updated set of measurements over here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999440-spitfire-kit-measurements-172-compared/?p=2414422

My kit is about a half mm short in all directions (okay, I did not measure the verticals so still unknown there) and it appears to be consistent along length and span. So in my opinion, while not perfect (no kit is) this one is getting us closer. With all the detail and spares, definitely good value for money.

Tim

• Like 2

I am also impressed by the detail, but not sure about the rivet detail. Was at the BBMF earlier this year and you have to be quite close to see any. Still, the way I paint models, most of the rivets will disappear.

I have to say the rivet and fastener detail do look a bit much. I think the fasteners on the engine panels may be about the size of my palm...most I've seen on the real thing look about the size of my thumb. But, if one likes that, then this is your kit. I will try my first one with all the detail and if it looks odd I'll try the second with the detail sanded down to look better. I'd rather have than than the alternative I guess.

Tim

How do the tapes on the rudder look in the flesh?

Shane.

They look a bit on the large size to me. Given the surface detail, I would have expected something's bit more delicate. The Sword Seafire XV I am working on looks much more restrained
  • Like 2

I have to say the rivet and fastener detail do look a bit much. I think the fasteners on the engine panels may be about the size of my palm...most I've seen on the real thing look about the size of my thumb. But, if one likes that, then this is your kit. I will try my first one with all the detail and if it looks odd I'll try the second with the detail sanded down to look better. I'd rather have than than the alternative I guess.

Tim

Yeah I'm not a fan of rivet in 1/72 scale (and I'm not keen on them in 1/48 scale either, but I live with them) I think they just look wrong. But the cowl fasteners diameter doesn't look to far off to me, the fact that they stick out a lot make them look wrong - on the real thing the cowl panel are dimpled to allow the fastener to sit flush but alot of manufactures make them raised (which you only see on badly fitted ones). Tamiya got away with it in 1/32 scale because they can look OK raised in this scale but I guess in 1/72 scale you can't go any thinner than Eduard have, it's a shame they didn't just represent the outer part of the fastener with a ring. I would try a light sanding to reduce them a bit.

These photo's are why I don't like rivets in 1/72 scale, it doesn't make it look like the real thing, I wish manufactures would get over this fad - if some want rivets so much on their model then buy a riveting tool, it's easier to add rivets than it is to fill them. 70121_15.jpg

bbt_wa_spitv_8.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

Just my observation but the cowling fastners on the model in post 60 look more like oversized pop-rivets than the Dzus style fastners actually used. And it's good to see that the 60s Airfix Riveter's grandson has found gainful employment.

I'm also a bit put off by the excessive rivets. Just not appropriate for 1/72 scale but sadly seems to be the trend with Eduard's "1/72 scale revolution" and Trumpeter too. Usually the rivets are quite subtle once you actually see the plastic, compared to the pics, but still, what's the point? There's also an issue of over-engineering too. I think the Tamigawa quality from the 90s-00s is the epitome for 1/72 scale. If you want more detail or more pieces, just jump to a bigger darned scale!

• Like 1

I'm currently working on two Eduard's Spitfires. Generally this kit is quite buildable. I agree that it's a bit over-engineered but nothing scary. The wings go together without problems. The only issue is that you have to use some putty or plastic to fill small gaps. Cockpit is ok too. The only problem I found is to join closed fuselage and wings...but maybe I've made a mistake and that's why this issue appeared. With the second I'll try something else to make it fit.

I don't like riveting but others do. It's the matter of taste. And as far as I know Czechs are riveting fans.

What I don't like is the visual quality of small parts. They look horrible but, and that's interesting, they go together without problems. Comparing main fuselage parts and small parts it looks as if they were made by to different companies.

The fasteners may look excessive but IMHO in real life they are not bad and compare well with the solutions I've seen on other kits from different manufacturers.

The rivets are a difficult thing to judge: they are really very small but can be seen. They are nowhere as evident as say on Trumpeter kits but I can see why some modellers may want to eliminate them completely.

My concern is that during build some rivets may disappear because of the sanding that may be needed in some areas (the wing leading edges for example).. and a model with some rivets missing and some not is IMHO worse than a model with all rivets or one with no rivets...

I agree with Dominik: some of the smaller parts look a bit "chunky" compared to the general finess of the mould.

And yes, the tapes on the rudder and elevators are a bit overstated.

The only problem I found is to join closed fuselage and wings...but maybe I've made a mistake and that's why this issue appeared. With the second I'll try something else to make it fit.

Same here with me, Dominik.

After completing the interior bits, I could not fit the wing section to the fuselage.

I think it was my mistake - seems as if I glued the side wall section of the cockpit a micro-meter too low.

It did interfere with the fit of the wings, so I had to sand off the bottom of the cockpit floor to get an acceptable fit.

It did work in the end, with the help of some clamps, but for my next build I will take extra care.

Tolerances within this kit are about zero.

• 1 month later...

Suspect it's essentially a pre-order.

I hope they aren't taking money for that, if so that potentially could be a bit dodgy as the thread about Boystown Miniatures (or whatever they call themselves now) revealed. They should be available from Eduard on the 1st Sept and anyone else shortly after.

thanks

Mike