Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

Because of a chronic lack of self control and because there are only 24 hours in a day, I would have dozens of things for this! Please put me down for one,

Thanks,

Alan

Edited by Angus Tura

Two reasons: 1) I've already entered with a 737, and if I start another one I won't finish either in time, and 2) I don't currently have a DC-8 kit ready to go...

Given those, it sounds to me like entering a prototype DC-8 for this GB for next year would be just the ticket :)

I found this on Flikr Commons (no known copyright issues):

BEAE762E-56D4-4DD4-BC25-CC9AF9EBAB57_zps

Not that I'm suggesting anything :whistle:

Best regards

Tony

I've got an X-1 in the stash that I could throw my hand in if the timing works out.

Just like any GB for me...I'm a slow builder, so I have to manage my builds otherwise I can get a ton of stuff started...and nothing ever completed. That whole too many irons in the fire kinda thing. :lol:

Hi Chris,

We won't know when/if the timing will be at this stage, but it would be great to have you on board; the X-1 is more or less a 'must' for this GB. Is it the Tamiya 1/72 kit or another one?

Slow building is fine, it's meant to be fun and there's normally 3 months or so for a GB, so a little here and there and I bet we'd have a result :)

Let me know if you would like me to add you to the list.

Best regards

Tony

Hi there

I have an X-15 and a Martin Baker MB5. Can I join with both of them?

Regards Toby

Splendid Toby, welcome on board! :) Great and very contrasting subjects. Which kits do you have? The X-15 is such an unbelievable aircraft. Only a few days ago I was reading the speeds attained and they are truly mind-boggling. My original inspiration for this GB, Burt Munro, actually got to see the X-15, sort of by accident.

The MB-5 is a nice little plane, one of many pre-and war era prototypes I was hoping someone would choose. Great stuff :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

Hi Chris,

We won't know when/if the timing will be at this stage, but it would be great to have you on board; the X-1 is more or less a 'must' for this GB. Is it the Tamiya 1/72 kit or another one?

Slow building is fine, it's meant to be fun and there's normally 3 months or so for a GB, so a little here and there and I bet we'd have a result :)

Let me know if you would like me to add you to the list.

Best regards

Tony

Yeah, it's the 1/72 Tamiya. Got it from a chap here on BM actually, so it would be a fitting place to build it. :lol:

And yeah, I know the timing (if it even makes the cut) is unknown at this point. I just put that out there as my disclaimer in case the time comes & I don't have time to actually build it in the allotted timeframe. A good case in point is the '80s NATO/Warsaw GB...I really wanted to take part, but I just had/have too much stuff going on to build another one right now.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's the 1/72 Tamiya. Got it from a chap here on BM actually, so it would be a fitting place to build it. :lol:

And yeah, I know the timing (if it even makes the cut) is unknown at this point. I just put that out there as my disclaimer in case the time comes & I don't have time to actually build it in the allotted timeframe. A good case in point is the '80s NATO/Warsaw GB...I really wanted to take part, but I just had/have too much stuff going on to build another one right now.

I know how it is Chris. I'm in three group builds at the moment and a bit of illness has rendered me bed-bound and brought all my builds to a resounding stop :(. I'm hoping to be on my feet again in a week or so, then I will be rushing one of my LaGG 3's in the GPW GB, so I can then use it in my Vignette GB. My airliner is under control, as an OOB Airfix nostalgia build it has so far almost built itself over just 4 nights work :D.

I'm bonkers as I'm down for the upcoming Blitz Build too. :mental:. I'm wondering if my Mr. Potato kit will be acceptable?

I'll put you in the list, it's a nice kit. If you don't go for the half transparent version it should be a very quick build. Disclaimer received!

Best regards

Tony

I know how it is Chris. I'm in three group builds at the moment and a bit of illness has rendered me bed-bound and brought all my builds to a resounding stop :(. I'm hoping to be on my feet again in a week or so, then I will be rushing one of my LaGG 3's in the GPW GB, so I can then use it in my Vignette GB. My airliner is under control, as an OOB Airfix nostalgia build it has so far almost built itself over just 4 nights work :D.

I'm bonkers as I'm down for the upcoming Blitz Build too. :mental:. I'm wondering if my Mr. Potato kit will be acceptable?

I'll put you in the list, it's a nice kit. If you don't go for the half transparent version it should be a very quick build. Disclaimer received!

Best regards

Tony

Yep. I'm currently building a 1/72 Italeri Jag for a Gulf War GB, I was also building a 1/48 RA-5C for a Naval Aircraft GB until a couple parts went missing...so now I'm probably going to start a 1/72 F/A-18C, just so I can finish inside the time window. Then there is the SBD-3 Dauntless I'm building for a Pearl Harbor GB.....that I haven't even started yet (12/7 deadline). :lol: Fortunately the Jag is nearly complete. Just a couple touch ups, some weapons, and a little wash & pastels and she'll be a wrap so I can clear it from the bench.

Yeah, no see through birds for me. The X-1 will be displayed in all it's blaze orange glory! :lol:

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 1

Because of a chronic lack of self control and because there are only 24 hours in a day, I would have dozens of things for this! Please put me down for one,

Thanks,

Alan

Hi Alan! Those are perfectly valid reasons, welcome on board :) What gems do you have in the stash that Spring out as nutty enough?

Thanks for coming on board, we only need 4 now :thumbsup:

Best regards

Tony

I'll be down for this, keep putting doing the tamiya X1 off, perfect excuse

Thanks Stu and welcome on board :thumbsup:!

I think that means we only need three more!

Best regards

Tony

That's great Toby. :thumbsup: I've never seen the Skybirds MB-5 built, it will be a very interesting build.

Best regards

Tony

gosh sssing as the usual crowd is here it would be wrong of me not to join in.

Have a couple of ideas for this one, but the Ju-288 comes to mind first...but thats bound to change by then!

Welcome on board Rich :thumbsup:! Great choice. You wouldn't happen to have the quite rare and desirable Huma kit? I've never seen one built.

Quite an air of secrecy around the 288. If the Germans had been able to produce the engines many of these innovative designs needed, in reliable form, maybe the war could have taken a quite different course.

I'll add you to the list, many thanks

Best regards

Tony

PS I really like the look of the sole JU 288A prototype:

75C27501-E615-4189-B17A-053852BDD7C8_zps

• Like 1

Just an idea as we haven't got Donald Campbell in here yet. I discovered that AlleyCat models do a very reasonably priced 1/72 model of the Coniston Water Bluebird K-7:

http://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/bluebird-k7-coniston-water-1967-6537-p.asp

So far no long distance or height record aircraft. The Frog/Novo Bristol 138 kit?

D515F8A4-8F05-46AB-B7D2-EA72E0EA8B90_zps

Eastern Express Tupolev ANT - 25:

6459EE24-ACF7-43FD-9F16-8DFD2953E556_zps

Valom Vickers Wellesley LRDU:

7D4B322B-9FEC-41DD-8330-551EF8E7BC7A_zps

Or a Pavla conversion of a Savoia Marchetti SM-79 to make an SIAI Corsa:

15B7A169-3D75-45D2-82A3-97B79FF75044_zps

I guess you can tell I like 1930's aircraft ;)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 2

It's really nice isn't it Rich? :) I've got the conversion kit. Don't think I'm ready for it yet, but I will, in the next two or three years.

The red was apparently derived from the Italian car racing teams... :o!

They got some records with these beauties, bet it was fun :)

B16AAB3A-305D-497E-A306-3CF81E32E634_zps

ATB

Tony

I have the Bristol 138 (including AM decals) and the ANT-25 in stash - so anything can happen :-)

Did not know that the Vickers Wellesley is holding the LDR for planes with a single piston engine to this day. Someone on the bay sells the kit for just 10 Pounds. Maybe I should grab one...

René

• Like 1

Revised my stash, the following kits qualify:

Gribovsky G-37, YF-23, Space Ship One, E-8, ANT-25, Concorde prototype, VVA-14, Do-26 prototype, M-50, Valkyrie

Plenty to choose from :)

• Like 2

Great kits in your stashes gents :thumbsup2: I really hope we can get two more (or more!) and get it to the vote. :pray: Between us already we have some really cool stuff to build.

I didn't know that either René. I'm still stunned by the wingspan of the Wellesley when I see a built up model of it. Ten pounds, go on, treat yourself :D!

Best regards

Tony

I'd second Tony on the Wellesley it is a beautiful model when built. I think it was the designer/mould-maker's passion. Being ex-Matchbox the fit should be good, they designed those moulds to last!

There is a Warpaint on this plane and a Sanger vacform in 48th which may be more of a challenge....

• Like 1

Just uploaded on YouTube today, a nice period film on the X-15:

Feel free to share other inspiring pictures, links or videos.

Best regards

Tony

Still two to go!!

• Like 1