Prototypes, Experimentals, World Firsts & Record Breakers GB Chat

I think that A-Model Gipsy Moth is actually Amy J's registration G-AAAH * which she flew solo to Australia, then with another person a record flight to Moscow.

*Does it say Jason on the nose? If it does then it is Amy J's.

• Like 3

I think that A-Model Gipsy Moth is actually Amy J's registration G-AAAH * which she flew solo to Australia, then with another person a record flight to Moscow.

*Does it say Jason on the nose? If it does then it is Amy J's.

It does say Jason and for me it's affordable - so you can count me in. Available in both 1/72 and 1/48

• Like 2

It does say Jason and for me it's affordable - so you can count me in. Available in both 1/72 and 1/48

Thanks Black Knight and Avereda :) Welcome on board. THat's a lovely subject. Now the Frog kit has an alternative it will be lovely to see how one builds up. It's a gorgeous colour scheme.

Nice to see UK/Australia link too (I'm a bit biased as I am currently in the latter but spent most of my life in the former ;) ).

On to some of the other ideas put forward, it would be good to see someone do one of the Lockheed Vegas, an 'Amelia' one would be nice:

A19670093000a_zpsjbhisux0.jpg

I have the MPM kit in the 'Drawer of Doom' as I did the old favourite and put a huge fingerprint in the canopy :dunce:. It allows either 'Winnie Mae' or 'Lady Lindy' to be modelled - both record breakers:

MPM%2072523%20Vegafair%201_zps3lcjwiem.j

Theres a 1/48 kit of the Vega by ESCI, just raring to go for this GB:

4100bt%201_zpse93o2unw.jpg

While I'm rambling on... :blah: .........the Sarge mentioned the flying tanks. Apparently during the test flight POW's were used as 'Crash Test Dummies' :o!!

Here's one apparently being test dropped on water. If theres a poor soul in there, it's probably splash, sink, blub, blub, blub 'goodby cruel world!' for him :weep: .

FlyingAmphibiousTank_zpsztiaxm6j.jpg

I can't be held responsible for 150 quid on a Tsar Sarge, it's the price of a (rather tired and old) small car here! The flying tank would be great though :thumbsup: !

On a different note, Mr. Lippish provides some fantastic source material such as the Aerodyne:

lip502_zps06x61goy.jpg

It would be fascinating to see how that could be scratched and bashed together. His DM1 is available from Huma and is more important than it looks - it really informed the US Delta Wing programme:

lip5_zps5uzdrkfv.jpg

Looks more like a UFO than most things I've seen!

Talking of UFO's, Mr. Horten can't be forgotten, he inspired Northrop a bit post-war:

WEB12026-2011h%201_zpsdom9tr0j.jpg

This V3 prototype photograph originated here: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/horten-ho-229-v3 where one can read more about this incredible, half a million reichsmarks aircraft, of which this one still exists.

Revell do a nice model of this that could be backdated from a 'whif' to the V3 easily. PM Model also did a very simple and non-expensive kit in 1.72.

For those with deep pockets, Zoukei-Mura do incredible kits of the H0-229 in 1/32 and 1/48 - this link tells more http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws08_Ho229horten.html

For those with equally deep pockets and a lot of space; here is a kit in 1/12 (!!!) of Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7 jet hydroplane:

http://www.touchwoodmodels.com/water-speed-record-models/bluebird-k7.html

I really do feel like Roy Castle! Remember, whatever you build, Dedication is what you need :)

Best regards and happy modelling

Tony

• Like 1

Must invest in shares in a decal company who make prototype 'P's ....

FantasyPrint do small sheets of them. Invest in them by buying theirs. :lol:

I think my subject will be either the Convair XFY-1 Pogo or the Shorts SC1 - or both

I think the main name list in post #1 needs updating.

We may have as many as 20 committed to this.

I must say Pin's attitude and his suggestion of a merger is most exemplary.

• Like 1

Vought-Sikorsky VS-300 for me I think. Sure that's eligible

http://www.sikorskyarchives.com/VS-300_Helicopter.php

Thanks Milktrip that's a superb choice , we need more whirlybirds! :)

Hope we can get this GB through, we have a set of great proposed ideas here.

Best regards

Tony

Must invest in shares in a decal company who make prototype 'P's ....

Count me in!

Thanks Dermo245 and welcome on board! :)

Now would they be those yellow 'P's and would that mean you're thinking of a British prototype :hmmm:?

Best regards

Tony

FantasyPrint do small sheets of them. Invest in them by buying theirs. :lol:

I think my subject will be either the Convair XFY-1 Pogo or the Shorts SC1 - or both

I think the main name list in post #1 needs updating.

We may have as many as 20 committed to this.

I must say Pin's attitude and his suggestion of a merger is most exemplary.

Many thanks Black Knight they are superb subjects. The SC1 is an amazing aircraft, it still looks incredibly futuristic.

The two side by side would make a real display of contrasting revolutionary technologies :thumbsup2:

Yes Pin is a very nice chap indeed! :)

I'm down under, so sometimes if I don't reply for a while, it's because I'm sleeping in the future! It's now 10.19 am and I'm just about to edit the list.

It's getting long, we don't need many now (8), let's keep our fingers crossed!

All best regards

Tony

• Like 1

That first image looks distinctly fake to me. :mellow:

I've had a poke about online and I've found the KORA "Tsar" for a much better price (About £150 delivered).....I am almost tempted now you utter, utter b*****d! :doh::winkgrin:

I've been reading about the Tsar tank Sarge. What a contraption! Vast! :o

The Kora model looks ok :shrug: I have a couple of theirs (well, one is 'Lf' and they're not too bad for limited run. They're all expensive though.

It seems there's a paper model of the Tsar somewhere on the net; I think that's more feasible!

Edit: Here it is Sarge, a nice download:

http://www.homespunmagixx.com/TzarTank/tzar_download.asp

TT

7B86FBC1-A047-4B2B-BFA5-F8DAFD8D6FB0_zps

;)

Theres a lot of submarines that could qualify for this, but as for the deepest, Firstly there was the Trieste, there is only a very rare kit around for this, as for the other contender, Deepsea Challenger there is no known kit.

Sign me up, i can sort a contender out for this GB

All the best Chris

Hi Chris,

I've been reading about Trieste. Absolutely fascinating! On the deepest part of the ocean bed with a cracked plexiglass window :o

Brave men.

If nothing else I found a paper model, the link to it is part of the way down this page:

http://www.papercraftsquare.com/bathyscaphe-trieste-free-paper-model-download.html

I've downloaded it, now out with the daughter's craft glue whilst she's at school ;)

TT

You could probably transpose the drawings to plastic sheet easily enough. :coolio:

I believe the tankette being dropped from the TB-3 is a T-37.....It's nominally amphibious, but I do feel they may have been pushing the envelope a little too far with that test! :shutup:

• Like 1

I can't help thinking there's something very Barnes Wallis about to happen to that tank Sarge. :shrug:

I pity the poor blighter inside; was probably only in jail for admitting to the KGB that he owned a Joe Loss record and liked pikelets.:confused:

TT

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Loved that film.....What a cool family history you have! :coolio:

If I can find a kit of it you can put me down for this:

RYXHGah.jpg

2B1 Oka

It's the biggest gun on a tracked chassis that I know of (I had thought the 2A3 Kondensator was king but apparently its elder sibling holds the crown). :nerd:

If you are mad enough then there is a Tankograd magazine with a good article on this beast and it's sibling with scale drawings. I have no idea what you could use for the barrel though! Maybe a carbon fibre fishing rod section...

Makes my SU-101 look simple!

• Like 2

Oh it's not mad... Because it was financed and made! :D

We need just 8 people. There are nearly 20,000 Britmodellers now.

Come on people, let's have your brains out of their wrappers! Here's your chance to build the wildest of your dreams.

No one has gone for the 'Spruce Goose' or the X-15! :shrug:

Come on, this is your chance to go for it, surprise us all! :)

Best regards

Tony

Ps: thanks Sarge :)

That was my thought too. A prototype DC-8 would be very cool :thumbsup2:

I flew on one or two in the early 1970's. Truly beautiful aircraft.

If you would like to do one it would be great to welcome you on board with this important aircraft :)

Best regards

Tony

Thanks JB and welcome on board :)!

That's a nice choice. I love the early colour schemes, it makes it look like something from Dan Dare, which would be probably quite current at the time.

I'll be very interested to see how the Planet kit goes together; I have the DH 108 Swallow in the stash and it looks very pretty :)

Only 7 people to go now!

Best regards

Tony

Why not put it in the Airliner GB now?

René

Two reasons: 1) I've already entered with a 737, and if I start another one I won't finish either in time, and 2) I don't currently have a DC-8 kit ready to go...

• Like 2

I've got an X-1 in the stash that I could throw my hand in if the timing works out.

Just like any GB for me...I'm a slow builder, so I have to manage my builds otherwise I can get a ton of stuff started...and nothing ever completed. That whole too many irons in the fire kinda thing. :lol:

• Like 1